Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tracker advice needed
bowood14

posted on 19/12/15 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Tracker advice needed

Anyone recommend an easy fit Tracker unit for a van reasonably priced, there are loads on eBay but are they any good. Just need to be able to track and find it if stolen
Slimy38

posted on 19/12/15 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Having had decent results from an app on a smart phone, I'd probably just go for something along those lines. A cheap android phone, hard wired to charge, and send a text message every six months to keep the pay as you go active.

Google's 'find my phone' service can track my daughter down to what side of the road she's on as she catches the bus to school. All from a £50 android phone and £10 PAYG credit.

obfripper

posted on 19/12/15 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Me and a few mates made a bin bag hot air balloon when the Icelandic ash cloud had stopped air travel, launched it from Devon and tracked it with one of Mini Car Realtime GPS Vehicle Tracker GPRS/GSM/GPS Spy Device Personal Tracking.
It tracked until it got to a few thousand feet and ran out of signal, we thought it was lost but sent a text to it the next day - it had landed in a field on the Isle of Wight, a farmer had picked up the balloon, and we were tracking him driving around the field muckspreading.
Retrieved the tracker and mini camera for a couple hours of in flight footage.

For a 15 quid special with a pay as you go sim its ideal for putting inside a hidden box with a power supply fed to it, its own battery lasts about a week.
You might need to call it a couple times a year to stop the PAYG sim from going inactive, it can be set up to auto send location data or respond to received texts.

Dave

bowood14

posted on 19/12/15 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by obfripper
Me and a few mates made a bin bag hot air balloon when the Icelandic ash cloud had stopped air travel, launched it from Devon and tracked it with one of Mini Car Realtime GPS Vehicle Tracker GPRS/GSM/GPS Spy Device Personal Tracking.
It tracked until it got to a few thousand feet and ran out of signal, we thought it was lost but sent a text to it the next day - it had landed in a field on the Isle of Wight, a farmer had picked up the balloon, and we were tracking him driving around the field muckspreading.
Retrieved the tracker and mini camera for a couple hours of in flight footage.

For a 15 quid special with a pay as you go sim its ideal for putting inside a hidden box with a power supply fed to it, its own battery lasts about a week.
You might need to call it a couple times a year to stop the PAYG sim from going inactive, it can be set up to auto send location data or respond to received texts.

Dave

That's the type of one I've been looking at but can't believe they work for that price!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.