Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fitting a radiator to a stud wall - fixings?
nick205

posted on 9/11/22 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
Fitting a radiator to a stud wall - fixings?

Morning all,

Need to fit a 1,200mm x 600mm single panel radiator to a stud wall.
The fixing rail things on the radiator are approx. 150mm in from the outer edges.
There's 2 L shaped brackets you fit to the wall the radiator then hangs onto.

Logic tells me mount the bractes directly to the timber studs behind the plasterboard. With the radiator centered under the window the brackets and studs don't line up!

Anyone suggest decent plasterboard fixings that will cope with the weight of the radiator full of water?

(...and before anyone suggests fitting the radiator somewhere else, the plumbing for it is already in the concrete floor)

Thanks all

roadrunner

posted on 9/11/22 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
Can you not fix cross timbers to the studs so you can then fit the radiator brackets to the timbers and keep them centered.
snapper

posted on 9/11/22 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
I cut the plasterboard and fix extra stud work to the wall then fill over, doesn’t have to be a great job as the radiator covers it.
You could also fit reflective sheet behind the radiator further covering your filler

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

James

posted on 9/11/22 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
In my old house, they had been fitted to the plasterboard just using these:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-self-drill-plasterboard-fixings-metal-35mm-100-pack/47347

and the radiators hadn't fallen off the wall!

However, in your situation I would try these:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-self-drill-plasterboard-fixings-metal-35mm-100-pack/47347

They're rated at over 100kg EACH and you will need at least 4 of them. (If your 'L' brackets are like most you could probably easily fit 8 of these).

Another alternative would be to cut a small hole in the plasterboard, slide a piece of PVA adhesive covered ply *behind* the plasterboard (pull it towards you with a screw and let the PVA set). Fill the slit with plasterboard/filler. Then put your fixings into a combined piece of plasterboard and ply to spread the load. Would be fiddly but should work fairly well.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

nick205

posted on 9/11/22 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks, could be the way to go. Guess I was being somewhat lazy as the wall (plasterboard) is all sound and I didn't want to disturb/fill it.

Could also fit a bit of 1/2" ply (painted the same colour as the wall) across the existing studs then fit the radiator to that I suppose!

roadrunner

posted on 9/11/22 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
I have a radiator fixed to plasterboard with those plasterboard fixings and it's coming away at the top. There's just too much weight and once the board starts to break up its difficult to repair.
Being a joiner myself I would look for a different approach.

nick205

posted on 9/11/22 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
In my old house, they had been fitted to the plasterboard just using these:

and the radiators hadn't fallen off the wall!

However, in your situation I would try these:

They're rated at over 100kg EACH and you will need at least 4 of them. (If your 'L' brackets are like most you could probably easily fit 8 of these).

Another alternative would be to cut a small hole in the plasterboard, slide a piece of PVA adhesive covered ply *behind* the plasterboard (pull it towards you with a screw and let the PVA set). Fill the slit with plasterboard/filler. Then put your fixings into a combined piece of plasterboard and ply to spread the load. Would be fiddly but should work fairly well.

Cheers,
James

Got these and used/use them around the house to fix many things to the plasterboard. They work well enough if installed carefully and the load isn't too high. For a water filled radiator I fear the load will just be too high. I'm really not up for dealing with a burst pipe if I don't need to.

nick205

posted on 9/11/22 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner
I have a radiator fixed to plasterboard with those plasterboard fixings and it's coming away at the top. There's just too much weight and once the board starts to break up its difficult to repair.
Being a joiner myself I would look for a different approach.

Confirms my fear on the plasterboard fixings that James highlights.

I'm now leaning towards removing some plasterboard and adding to the stud work.

Russell

posted on 9/11/22 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
Get these:

Hollow wall fixings

and the setting tool:

Setting tool

nick205

posted on 9/11/22 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Russell
Get these:

Hollow wall fixings

and the setting tool:

Setting tool

Interesting, not used those before, but having YouTubed them they do appear a pretty robust fixing method! One to explore perhaps for this job and for future DIY jobs.

Russell

posted on 9/11/22 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:
Originally posted by Russell
Get these:

Hollow wall fixings

and the setting tool:

Setting tool

Interesting, not used those before, but having YouTubed them they do appear a pretty robust fixing method! One to explore perhaps for this job and for future DIY jobs.

I've just used them to hang two new replacement radiators into stud and plasterboard walls. Very secure and robust. The original radiators were hung using the same type of fixings and have given 30+ years of service without any issues. Don't faff around with plug type fixings, they will pull out!

You can sometimes get away without using the setting tool just by tightening up the fastener to collapse it but I would definitely recommend using the tool for a predictable outcome.

nick205

posted on 9/11/22 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
Russell

Thanks for the xtra feedback - good to know.

Have no fear I'd invest in the proper setting tool to get repeatable results. I can see them spinning in the hole and a risk of chewing the plasterboard (more to repair).

ianhurley20

posted on 9/11/22 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I can see them spinning in the hole and a risk of chewing the plasterboard (more to repair).

If you tap them in they fix into the plasteboard and will then set with a combi drill (or screwdriver) with no problem. Never used the setting tool and used them for many plasterboard wall fixings with never an issue. They do come in all sorts of lengths and diameters so choose what suits you best.

nick205

posted on 10/11/22 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ianhurley20
quote:
I can see them spinning in the hole and a risk of chewing the plasterboard (more to repair).

If you tap them in they fix into the plasteboard and will then set with a combi drill (or screwdriver) with no problem. Never used the setting tool and used them for many plasterboard wall fixings with never an issue. They do come in all sorts of lengths and diameters so choose what suits you best.

Useful to know!

stevebubs

posted on 10/11/22 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
Hollow fiixings - https://www.wickes.co.uk/Fischer-Cavity-Fixing-Anchor-5-x-37mm-Pack-of-20/p/141037

You'll need the tool to set them.

Don't recommend the Diall ones as I've found the threads too fragile...I stick with genuine Fischer ones...

[Edited on 10/11/22 by stevebubs]

stevebubs

posted on 10/11/22 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Russell

Thanks for the xtra feedback - good to know.

Have no fear I'd invest in the proper setting tool to get repeatable results. I can see them spinning in the hole and a risk of chewing the plasterboard (more to repair).

If you drill the hole quite tight to the fitting then they're unlikely to spin, but I agree which is why I have the tool (which is basically a puller that pulls the screwhead away from the wall, thus collapsing the body behind the plasterboard)

nick205

posted on 10/11/22 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
Steve

Thanks also - good to have it confirmed on sticking to brands and using the right tools.

From experience drilling holes in plasterboard I always go slightly tight as an over size hole doesn't work and just needs filling/painting!

pewe

posted on 10/11/22 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
It's about spreading the load.
I've hung large fire extinguishers off plasterboard walls by attaching a wooden bearer plate (plywood) to the wall then the extinguisher bracket screwed or fixed to the ply.
Its all covered by the extinguisher (radiator) so no need for a pretty job.
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe

craig1410

posted on 10/11/22 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
If it was a smaller radiator like a 600x600 or something, especially a type 11, I'd be tempted to use good quality Fischer or similar plasterboard fixings. But with a larger radiator like yours I would definitely remove the plasterboard and install some stud work. Of course I'm assuming you expect to live in this house for many years but if you're just fixing it up to sell then maybe a different approach could be justified.
coyoteboy

posted on 10/11/22 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
I have multiple 1400x600 type 21 rads installed in plasterboard using these:
https://amzn.eu/d/7BK3gFS

No problems at all, regularly used to hang things off like wet wetsuits, regularly "sat" on by people. Just don't use those guff conical helix screw things.

nick205

posted on 10/11/22 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
craig1410

Anticipate being here for another 10 years, so it needs to be a solid and lasting solution. I don't want to have to do it again or be creating repair jobs.

coyoteboy

Good to have more confirmation on those fixing types.

cliftyhanger

posted on 12/11/22 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
No harm in adding a smear of sealnt/adhesive to the brackets when fitting them. That will stop the brackets fretting about and contribute substantially to the strength.
No harm in adding an extra mechanical fixing too, about 1/3rd of the way down from the top.

coyoteboy

posted on 14/11/22 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
https://gosforthhandyman.com/heavy-duty-drywall-anchors-test/

rgrs

posted on 17/11/22 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
These work really well, hung quite a few rads using them.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/gripit-plasterboard-fixing-25-x-14mm-8-pack/682GK?tc=BC7&ds_kid=92700048793290424&ds_rl=1249413&gclid=Cj0KCQiA1 NebBhDDARIsAANiDD0TAr8mF4PljDz938X_9WLm9VY9QG6f-m2mQfXMcsVhB1qCsy6KNVwaArETEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.