Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fitting a loft window to access chimney
tegwin

posted on 31/1/23 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
Fitting a loft window to access chimney

Any thoughts on this?

2 storey semi detached house with a mid roof chimney. 1970s concrete ribbed tiles. Loft space is not habitable so good access to roof.

The roof structure seems to be solid when inspected from inside although I can't see the batons due to the felt. The outside has quite a lot of moss growth on it.

I am getting water dribbling into the loft around the chimney, suspect the moss growth is enabling water to get around the old flashing.

I would like to be able to scrape off all the moss on the entire roof and repair the flashing.

Cost of scaffolding on one side of the house looks to be around £1200. This would be the ideal solution apart from the cost.

I considered using ladders but I hate ladders!

Other option I am thinking about is getting a loft window (velux type thing) and installing it from the inside in the middle of the roof such that I could then use the hole to get out onto the roof and access the chimney. I could rig a safety rope from inside the loft space across to the chimney to make it safer for me. Window and flashing is £110...

The roof is not insulated so I can't see any thermal/damp issues associated with replacing some of the tiles with a piece of double glazed glass?! Perhaps might get condensation on the glass? On the flip side I could open the window to ventilate the loft particularly when its hot!

Anyone done similar?

[Edited on 31/1/23 by tegwin]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

nick205

posted on 31/1/23 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
No, but our regular window cleaner offers a gutter cleaning and roof de-mossing service. They did it for me just before Xmas all in for £180.

2 storey semi-detached house, no chimney.

Already got a Velux in a bedroom where the roof slopes over the room. Could climb out through that (roof is a shallow 15 degree pitch as well). Just not up for clambering about on the roof though.

James

posted on 31/1/23 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
Surely a scaffold tower isn't £1200?

Think I paid £50-£100 for a weekend last time (about 8(?) years ago).

[Edited on 31/1/23 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

lsdweb

posted on 31/1/23 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
You could get a local drone 'pilot' to give you some decent photos / video so you'd get a better idea of the problem. Probably shouldn't cost you too much. I do some 'professional' drone stuff but I'm too far away!

Regards

Wyn

cliftyhanger

posted on 31/1/23 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
I had a (non-habitabale) velux installed when I did my extension. It is to access a small section of dflat roof where two roofs meet. I can clamber out and clear it easily, even a tower would be difficult to use to access it.
Installing such a window will take a little more time than putting a tower up and down, but not masses and is a useful addition. I would go for it as a solution.

[Edited on 31/1/23 by cliftyhanger]

jacko

posted on 31/1/23 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
Hi it sound like my roof problem water getting though where the chimney stack is
I had a roofer have a look at it and he told me it is the top of the stack that the cement has cracked and water is getting through the bricks .
All the flashing is ok
He took photos to show me £75 to replace the cement
Graham

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tegwin

posted on 31/1/23 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
I did only get one quote but to build a tower and bridge across to the chimney was £1200 Inc vat. May be able to get a better quote but things are a lot more expensive than they were 8 years ago 😞

I’m fortunate that I build and test fly drones for a living so a drone inspection was the first thing I did. What I really need is a drone with arms that can clean the roof for me.

I don’t really want to be climbing out of a window and traipsing around on the roof but there’s water getting in and I can’t afford to pay anyone to sort it for me

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

lsdweb

posted on 31/1/23 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
Well that was me teaching my grandmother to suck eggs!!

You can hire towable access platforms for not a huge amount of money (last time I looked it was about £200 a week plus you'd need hired-in insurance).

My neighbours hired one of these - https://www.niftylift.com/uk/products/trailer-mounted/nifty-120

quote:
Originally posted by tegwin

I’m fortunate that I build and test fly drones for a living so a drone inspection was the first thing I did. What I really need is a drone with arms that can clean the roof for me.

JoelP

posted on 31/1/23 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Rather than getting scaffolding, just get a roofer in to sort it. They'll just run up a ladder without a care in the world. Velux sounds like a real faff too.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

tegwin

posted on 31/1/23 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lsdweb
Well that was me teaching my grandmother to suck eggs!!

You can hire towable access platforms for not a huge amount of money (last time I looked it was about £200 a week plus you'd need hired-in insurance).

My neighbours hired one of these - https://www.niftylift.com/uk/products/trailer-mounted/nifty-120

quote:
Originally posted by tegwin

Apologies, I didn’t mean to be quite so curt. Your recommendation was an excellent one.

I saw quite a nice bit of kit advertised that’s a tracked device that can fit through a normal doorway with long reach arm. Annoyingly I have an awkward front garden and no rear garden access so anything on wheels is a problem.

Il perhaps ask a few roofers for quotes before I resort to roof tarzanism.

nick205

posted on 1/2/23 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
Some further thoughts....

Genuine Velux window kits aren't cheap (had to replace an existing 20 year old one in our house as the frame was rotten and the flashing kit around it was failing).

Cutting more holes in your roof adds the potential for more leak points in the future too.

Scanning through the rest of this thread a roofer (with chimney experience) or hiring in a scaffold tower would be my route.

[Edited on 1/2/23 by nick205]

SJ

posted on 1/2/23 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
It's certainly a very easy way f getting access to the roof. We had a loft conversion on our old house and accessing the roof via the velux was great for sorting out the TV aerial.
jacko

posted on 1/2/23 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
Rather than getting scaffolding, just get a roofer in to sort it. They'll just run up a ladder without a care in the world. Velux sounds like a real faff too.

That’s what I did . and you never know cash in hand 😎
Just wait until there is a roofer working down your street and ask them

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mark chandler

posted on 1/2/23 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
When I had to change my chimney pot I hired a cherry picker for the day, cost £120, cannot say I enjoyed it!

It was 4WD, very heavy so left deep tracks in the grass.

Mr Whippy

posted on 2/2/23 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
I use a product called Mosgo which you spray onto you roof. Within weeks the moss and lichen are coming off (you'll need to keep the gutters clean) and I've found it lasts about 2-3 years, however not much grows after that. I use a backpack pressure sprayer with a homemade extension (ali boom) and soak the roof from the top down, fitting a pair of bicycle stabilisers to the end of the boom makes it a lot easer to maneuver. Don't use a power washer on the roof as it knocks the hell out of roofing tiles and slates, causing way more damage than anything.
tegwin

posted on 2/2/23 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
I use a product called Mosgo which you spray onto you roof. Within weeks the moss and lichen are coming off (you'll need to keep the gutters clean) and I've found it lasts about 2-3 years, however not much grows after that. I use a backpack pressure sprayer with a homemade extension (ali boom) and soak the roof from the top down, fitting a pair of bicycle stabilisers to the end of the boom makes it a lot easer to maneuver. Don't use a power washer on the roof as it knocks the hell out of roofing tiles and slates, causing way more damage than anything.

Thank you - That looks like a good product.

I had been resisting the temptation to pressure wash the roof - it would make it look very clean - but as you say, probably perforate it in the process...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.