Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Replacing roof tiles
scudderfish

posted on 12/2/23 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
Replacing roof tiles

I had some solar panels put up. Before they started, the installers said I had 4 broken tiles under where the panels would be. They swapped them for whole ones on the edge of the roof so they could be replaced without shifting the panels. I have no idea about roof tiles, but I'd like to swap them before the scaffolding gets taken down. What are they and where could I get replacements?

Regards,
David

https://photos.smithfamily.org.uk/mo/sharing/VhtYMoItJ

Schrodinger

posted on 12/2/23 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
They look like concrete tiles. Try a local builders merchant. try measuring one first so you don't have to run back and forth an get a few spares.

Keith
Aviemore

nick205

posted on 12/2/23 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Measure and take plenty of photos with you.
emlyno

posted on 12/2/23 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Probably Marley tiles of some sort. Take one with you to a builders merchant to make sure you get some with the same profile.

Emlyn Owen

Paul W

posted on 12/2/23 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
if you look on the back of tile it may have makers name on
JoelP

posted on 12/2/23 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Possibly called half roman. Just take one down with you, they're most likely stock items.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

JoelP

posted on 12/2/23 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Much easier to identify the profile by looking at the end, rather than down from above.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

wonderfulweasel

posted on 12/2/23 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
If your area has other houses with similar roof covering, you can probably pick up a couple on gumtree. People getting loft conversions, or other work done quite often put them on there in my neighbourhood.
nick205

posted on 13/2/23 at 06:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wonderfulweasel
If your area has other houses with similar roof covering, you can probably pick up a couple on gumtree. People getting loft conversions, or other work done quite often put them on there in my neighbourhood.

Good call, my housing estate neighbours have had them in their garden before after having work done.

scudderfish

posted on 13/2/23 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wonderfulweasel

Great suggestion, thanks I've put the call out on the local whatsapp group and I've had a couple of 'let me check in the shed' responses.

Mr Whippy

posted on 14/2/23 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
always a good idea to have spare roof tiles for storm repairs and if you leave some of them outside they will weather the same as the roof and should be a better match.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scudderfish

posted on 16/2/23 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
To finish this off...

A neighbour said they had a pile in their garden so I went around and got some. Looked good to me. Scared myself lugging them up the ladder to the roof and spent over an hour trying to get the buggers to fit. Gave up with 3 of the 4 in, but not sitting right. Another neighbour is having a lot of work done (extension, garage rebuild), so I went and asked the two guys working on it if they fancied a bit of cash for a little job. I really wanted to get it done before the scaffolding got taken away. Chap came around at lunchtime, saw one of the tiles on the floor and said "That won't fit it's the wrong shape." which explained my trouble last night. He popped back to the other house and picked up some tiles they had removed and scarpered up the ladder. 5 minutes later he was back down, all sorted out I gave him a chunk of cash for his troubles and I now have a watertight roof.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.