Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Steel for van ramp
Simon

posted on 26/2/23 at 12:57 AM Reply With Quote
Steel for van ramp

I want to make a ramp for my van (Vivaro) so I can get my motorcycle and lawnmowers etc in and out. I keep looking on ebay/marketplace and nothing comes up (that ain't very expensive). Long, foldable and quite wide (so i can walk the bike up it).

It will be foldable and I may bolt to floor of van as a semi permanent fixture.

The bike weighs just over 200kgs and I'm another 120 (on a bad day). Ideally I want it to be about 8' - 10' long. It will be supported by bracing to the floor at mid/hinge point.

Just wondering what people think might be best size steel to use - I'm thinking 50mm x 25mm but wonder if 25mm x 25mm will be ok? Ought to clarify, it'll be 2 off box along the length with angle for the "footplates"

Thoughts/alternatives etc welcome please

[Edited on 26/2/23 by Simon]

Mr Whippy

posted on 26/2/23 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
these don't look very expensive but everything's relative...

link

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gremlin1234

posted on 26/2/23 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
the pics in this advert for a wheelchair ramp equiped vivaro may give you some ideas
l8AAOSwnLBj6P2C" target="_blank">https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165935490148?hash=item26a286a464:gl8AAOSwnLBj6P2C

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 26/2/23 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
That length, I'd be happier with 50mm by 25mm than the smaller option. Stiffness (and other related attributes) goes up greatly with cross-section rather than wall thickness. I wouldn't want to wobble with my bikes, not at my age.
I use a long aluminium ladder to which I've bonded (Silkaflex) heavy duty plywood (that stuff with the brown cross-hatch on it, forget the name) down the rungs. Really does the job. It's long, strong and light.
My Transhit is a (elderly) RWD model, so the rear is quite high. Yours will undoubtedly be far newer, perhaps even FWD, so hopefully not such a terrifying height. I've never mounted a winch up front to pull the bikes up, but it's an option that is starting to look more appealing as age and decrepitude take hold of me.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.