Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone used the cycle-to-work scheme?
nick205

posted on 18/7/23 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
Anyone used the cycle-to-work scheme?

After some input from the LCB knowledge bank...

Anyone used the Cycle-To-Work scheme with their employer to purchase a pushbike?

If so, what can you tell me about it - from employer and amployee perspectives?

(feel free to U2U me if you'd prefer)

Thanks,
Nick

coyoteboy

posted on 18/7/23 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
I didn't use it, but I had several friends who did.

What do you want to know?

nick205

posted on 18/7/23 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Thinking about using it.

Company's not done it, but open to the idea.

Wanted to get some feedback from people who've used it first.

coyoteboy

posted on 18/7/23 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
There isn't really a lot to feedback I don't think, it is what it says on the tin. However it's an annual thing so try to confirm exactly what happens after the first 12 months, who owns the bike when, when you can get another etc. Different companies handle it differently.
nick205

posted on 19/7/23 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
Noted and well highlighted!

Both company (employer) and myself (employee) are keen to go into this with the 12 month outcome (cycle ownership) agreed, before we start it.

As it happens the company has no use (or interest) in owning a cycle.

coyoteboy

posted on 19/7/23 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, that's definitely the case my friends found too - definitely seemed to be the case that the company suggested the bike depreciated a lot....

The bikeradar article is useful with worked examples

https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/buyers-guides/c ycle-to-work-scheme-everything-you-need-to-know/

nick205

posted on 19/7/23 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the comment and Bike Radar link.
garyo

posted on 19/7/23 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
I looked at it a few years ago, and I think it would suit some people well. The thing that put me off was that it needed to be a brand new bike from a supplier participating in the scheme, and I'm the kind of person that prefers to buy a 'nearly new' £2k bike for £1k second hand, and then I'm less precious about it.

So if you're someone that would have bought a brand new bike at high street prices anyway, and your employer is willing to play ball and do the admin, then it seems like a good idea to me.

coyoteboy

posted on 19/7/23 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by garyo
I looked at it a few years ago, and I think it would suit some people well. The thing that put me off was that it needed to be a brand new bike from a supplier participating in the scheme, and I'm the kind of person that prefers to buy a 'nearly new' £2k bike for £1k second hand, and then I'm less precious about it.

Yes, agreed - I've literally never bought a bike in my life. I've built every bike I owned from the ground up, but I couldn't get the scheme to cover a carbon frame from X, a rim set from china, spokes from Y etc. Very annoying to be the resident bike guy, and not be able to make use of it

nick205

posted on 19/7/23 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
garyo

Fair point - I've normally built my own bikes or bought 2nd hand.

The scheme has it's slaloms to negotiate for sure.

nick205

posted on 19/7/23 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
coyoteboy

Again fair point

I'm considered the "bike guy" at my work. The buy by pick and choose components from a range of suppliers isn't an option with the scheme.

Have to choese the bike with some care for sure!

Simon

posted on 19/7/23 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
I did it years ago.

Didn't go through "Cycle Scheme" companies, just told my old man I was doing the cycle to work scheme. The company bought the bike (for a grand) and claimed back the vat. Got accountant to account for my salary sacrifice and basically got the bike for about £600.

nick205

posted on 20/7/23 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
My understanding of the current scheme is:

1. Employer buys a bike from a participating retailer.
2. Employee sacifices £xxx monthly salary, before Income Tax & National Insurance deductions, over 12 months.
3. After 12 months employer still owns the bike.
4. There needs to be an agreement in place between employer/employee over what happens then. Typically seems to be employee buys the bike from employer at the 1 year old market value (or an agreed value).

Is this understanding correct?

Any way it can be done differently (e.g. employer and employee agree 12 monthly salary sacrifice payments that see the bike paid for in full)?

^^^ this is mine and my employer's preference, so at the end of the 12 month period it's all finished - no more money to be paid.

Your input is welcome people.

[Edited on 20/7/23 by nick205]

JAG

posted on 20/7/23 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
I've never used the cycle-to-work scheme.

I own three bikes: Roadie, MTB and Street Trials type of bike.

Friends at work have used the scheme and they HAVE bought components to build a bike or just to improve their current bike.

A friend bought some Hope Wheels and a set of Fox forks as well as a Helmet and Gloves.

So check carefully - I think it is possible

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

nick205

posted on 20/7/23 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
JAG

Useful info - thanks - I'll investigate further!

garyo

posted on 20/7/23 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
I think you've summarised it well Nick. So the benefit is marginal if you're a 20% tax payer if I understand correctly:

e.g. you buy a 1k bike. This is pre tax (20%) and emplyoees national insurance (10%), so only costs you £700 of salary sacrifice to rent from your employer for a year.

The residual value after 1 year is 20% or £200, which you pay. So you have a £1k bike that you paid £900 for.

The employer also saves their 10% of employers NI contributions, which is nice for them but probably doesn't even get close to paying for the admin headache, especially if only one person is participating in the scheme in your company.

For a higher rate tax payer the savings are far more compelling.

jps

posted on 21/7/23 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
The way it gets very cost effective is if you can agree to extend the ‘loan’ period for a long time for a nominal fee, e.g. another 5 years after the initial 1 year. At this point the value of the bike has depreciated hugely and the final payment to transfer ownership becomes tiny.

If you sacrifice over 12 months and then have to buy the bike the ‘one year old’ bike cost might wipe out any saving from the salary sacrifice.

If you’re a 40% tax payer then it’s a great scheme. If you’re a 20% tax payer it can end up more like a way to get 0% finance but with the disadvantage that a retailer will probably charge you RRP rather than enable you to negotiate a reasonable discount….

Depending on who runs the scheme I understand some C2W scheme providers squeeze the retailer for 10% of the transaction value.

swanny

posted on 24/7/23 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
Ive done it once. i was a bit nervous about the paperwork that mention a purchase at the end i the year, but my employers (university) never even mentioned it, and nothing extra to pay.
Mr Whippy

posted on 24/7/23 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
nope, but I did just buy a Carrera Crossfuse E-bike from Halfords and would highly recommend it.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 24/7/23 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jps
The way it gets very cost effective is if you can agree to extend the ‘loan’ period for a long time for a nominal fee, e.g. another 5 years after the initial 1 year. At this point the value of the bike has depreciated hugely and the final payment to transfer ownership becomes tiny.

If you sacrifice over 12 months and then have to buy the bike the ‘one year old’ bike cost might wipe out any saving from the salary sacrifice.

Never met an employer who didn't write off the value after 1 year.

nick205

posted on 24/7/23 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
In my case the employer will either extend the "loan" period for another 12 months OR write off the bike after the first 12 months with nothing left to pay. As with most employers, the bike would be of little/no interest of use to them to have to store and have no rider.
jps

posted on 25/7/23 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
quote:
Originally posted by jps

Never met an employer who didn't write off the value after 1 year.

I’ve done the scheme twice with two different public sector employers. Neither of them wrote the value off after a year, both had the ‘extension’ process I’ve described.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.