Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Expanding foam that doesn't expand too much
Mr Whippy

posted on 13/9/23 at 06:42 AM Reply With Quote
Expanding foam that doesn't expand too much

Hi,

I have a large 3D printed part that is twin walled and to add stiffness was wanting to inject expanding foam into the gap (20mm) but obviously don't want it to balloon the part but just fill it. I have put holes to allow excess foam to escape. Anyone actually used a product they'd recommend?

Thanks.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
russbost

posted on 13/9/23 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
I think pretty much all expanding foam on the market is the builders type product, which, so far as I'm aware is also basically the same stuff as used in fibreglass structures etc. by mixing 2 separate parts that then expand. as long as you've allowed small holes for excess to escape I'd have thought you'd be fine with an ordinary can from any DIY shop/builder's merchant.

If you're really concerned about ballooning you could use something that's solid. but doesn't expand like silicone sealant or Siroflex etc.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
SteveWalker

posted on 13/9/23 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
There are definitely two types - one for filling large voids, that expands a lot and the other for sticking plasterboard too walls and filling cracks. The latter is probably what you want and usually refers to "low expansion" on the can.
nick205

posted on 13/9/23 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
Is this a Dalek part?
JoelP

posted on 13/9/23 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
Soudal plasterboard adhesive foam is what I use. Available at screwfix. It doesn't expand much at all. Window fitters use it to draftproof small gaps.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

MikeR

posted on 13/9/23 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
What about the stuff you buy in separate cans and mix yourself. (Supplied usually from boat builders) You know the expansion ratio so only mix the right amount?
craig1410

posted on 13/9/23 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
Just get Screwfix No Nonsense expanding foam and then trim off any excess once cured. It's really easy to cut afterwards and the foam itself is really quite robust in terms of structure and will add real stiffness to your project. I would also recommend the foam which works via a dispenser "gun" rather than the stuff that has its own nozzle but you do carry the extra cost of the gun and maybe some gun cleaner. But it is MUCH more controllable than the self dispensing cans.
Mr Whippy

posted on 14/9/23 at 06:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Is this a Dalek part?

Yes that right, it's the shoulders. I've added a double skin to increase stiffness with a 20mm gap and connecting blocks between the two walls which are 2mm thick. I'm running off a test slice just now which will be ready tomorrow to check for errors and that it actually prints correctly before the 3 weeks to print all the shoulder sections. I like the sound of "Soudal plasterboard adhesive foam" might get some and try it in a small cardboard box and see what it does. Fortunately my office window looks right on a Screwfix super handy!

Description
Description

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 14/9/23 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
What about the stuff you buy in separate cans and mix yourself. (Supplied usually from boat builders) You know the expansion ratio so only mix the right amount?

This was my thinking, a controlled mix of foaming agent and adhesive.

coyoteboy

posted on 14/9/23 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
Just get Screwfix No Nonsense expanding foam and then trim off any excess once cured. It's really easy to cut afterwards and the foam itself is really quite robust in terms of structure and will add real stiffness to your project. I would also recommend the foam which works via a dispenser "gun" rather than the stuff that has its own nozzle but you do carry the extra cost of the gun and maybe some gun cleaner. But it is MUCH more controllable than the self dispensing cans.

I think their problem is that when expanding it can do some real expansion damage on thin walled things. I've even had it push up a thin wooden window cill, so a wee 3D printed part will be warped to buggery if the external areas cure first and the expansion keeps going.

harmchar

posted on 16/9/23 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Is two part epoxy resin an option. Won’t expand same as foam, but might be too heavy for your purpose.
Mr Whippy

posted on 17/9/23 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by harmchar
Is two part epoxy resin an option. Won’t expand same as foam, but might be too heavy for your purpose.

Thanks for the suggestion but yes filling the gap with epoxy would probably make the part very heavy, although bomb proof

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.