Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: summerhouse door swelling soloution?
number-1

posted on 2/11/23 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
summerhouse door swelling soloution?

Hi folks

My gf has a summerhouse that she uses as an office. Its a generic style similar to THIS.

It has the 4 door set up but as you can see from the dimensions HERE are not very big or an off the shelf size. The problem we have is the door taking on moisture and swelling, making closing it almost impossible.

Is there an easy way to prevent this? The slave doors....1 and 4 as you look at it, have been secured to the building so only doors 2 and 3 open.

In fairness, the door doesnt get hit much with rain water as we fitted guttering and painted with quality waterproof paint so presume its the damp and moist air as its only recently started to happen.

Any locost ideas?

cliftyhanger

posted on 2/11/23 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
Time to break out the planer.
You can't fight nature and wood changing dimensions.
But the other issue is painting the edges of doors. Carpenters/joiners often fit doors leaving a "nice" gap. I prefer a large gap, so it allows for primer/undercoat/gloss.

Mr Whippy

posted on 2/11/23 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
I got one of these for over my back door which was getting hammered by the weather. It's amazing how effective it is at keeping the door dry and has shrugged off the storms lately even though it's on the worst side. If your door faces the prevailing wind it won't be getting sufficient time to dry off before being soaked again, even if it looks dry. I got mine from amazon for about £30.

Description
Description

[Edited on 2/11/23 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 2/11/23 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
Time to break out the planer.
You can't fight nature and wood changing dimensions.
But the other issue is painting the edges of doors. Carpenters/joiners often fit doors leaving a "nice" gap. I prefer a large gap, so it allows for primer/undercoat/gloss.

Spot on, plane the bottom to leave a good gap and pain the bottom to help protect it. If you end up with a draft, fit a draft excluder strip on the inside.

Also consider fitting a weather bar on the outside to guide any rain away from the bottom of the door.

[Edited on 2/11/23 by nick205]

JoelP

posted on 2/11/23 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
Second the planer. Give it a few more mm and see how it goes. Obviously after you've made sure it's not getting avoidably wet.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.