Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Medication for old dogs
Sanzomat

posted on 3/11/23 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
Medication for old dogs

If this is not acceptable to post please remove. Our dog passed away a few days ago. She was using prescribed Galliprant for her stiff joints. I'd just got another three months supply in readiness for the current prescription running out but the new lot arrived the day before she passed and they can't be returned even though they are still sealed. These are bl**dy expensive - the vets charge £100 for 30 pills but I got these from an online vet prescription service for £130 for three bottles of 30 so basically 3 months supply at one a day. They are the 60mg ones.

Would these be any use to anyone else who might have a dog using these meds?

gremlin1234

posted on 3/11/23 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
[we don't have any active moderators here] I think this is too far off topic, and openly offering prescription drugs is a bit of a bad idea. I suggest you delete the thread.

ps sorry about the loss of your dog :-(

[Edited on 3-11-2023 by gremlin1234]

Slater

posted on 4/11/23 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry about your old dog passing away. We are in similar situation, our dog is almost 14, with a heart murmur and rapidly getting worse and we buy 3 month of tablets (not Galliprant) online way cheaper than the vet will sell them. I've just travelled to Nigeria for 1 month of work and had to dig her grave in the garden before I left, as I fear she won't be around when I get back, so sad, she's given us many years of enjoyment and loyalty.

Yes it's a bit off topic, but I don't have have an issue with the post, we often seem go off the kit car theme.....

perksy

posted on 4/11/23 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
Very sorry to hear of your loss

They start off as pets and then become loved members of the family

Just wandered if a local animal rescue center or charity would appreciate these?

jacko

posted on 4/11/23 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by perksy
Very sorry to hear of your loss

They start off as pets and then become loved members of the family

Just wandered if a local animal rescue center or charity would appreciate these?

+ one we love our German shepherd
Graham

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
craig1410

posted on 5/11/23 at 02:43 AM Reply With Quote
Really sorry to hear of your loss. We have two 17 year old cats and one elderly dog with another not far behind so I know where you are coming from. We have also had to pay, and continue to pay for expensive medication for two of our pets.

What I would suggest is to go back to your online vet and ask that they return and refund the medication if still within shelf life and sealed. Most online purchases are covered by a 14 or 30 day cooling off period so look into that.

I don't think it would be wise to sell or even give away prescription medication online.

Mr Whippy

posted on 7/11/23 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
Very sad, hope you get another dog when your ready. Have you asked the vet if they'd take the pills back, I suppose you have. Not sure the legalities of offering any medicine's online, probably need some sort of license and chances are they are as strong as hell too. Failing getting them refunded, you could cut your losses and offer them to the cat and do home? Personally I think it's rather poor show from the vet who obviously knows the circumstances not to offer to refund them. A comment on their facebook/website might spur them along...
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Sanzomat

posted on 7/11/23 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the responses. Looking into the returns thing it seems that the vets are not allowed to take returns of medication. They have chain of custody requirements and as soon as the meds have left their premises the chain has broken so they can't re-issue them hence not accepting returns. Apparently its the same for all vets and probably for human prescriptions too. They'll take them back to dispose of them but nothing else and no refunds. I've spoken with a couple of charities and they say they can't accept them for the same reasons. Just seems such a waste. They are tablets in sealed plastic bottles with a 2 year use by date and the storage requirements aren't at all onerous - store under 30 degrees is all.

I guess I was just hoping to link up with someone who has had similar meds prescribed for their dog but is struggling to afford them so they can get used rather than wasted

Mr Whippy

posted on 7/11/23 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
Ah, does makes sense. Good luck. Can only suggest the obvious facebook or gumtree but worry if you could get in big trouble if some idiot takes them to get high, overdoses and ends up dead. Police man says 'So who supplied those pills??' I'm sure this will of happened before...
ReMan

posted on 10/11/23 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
As mentioned, to be on the safe side, unless you can directly connect a local owner with their dog then selling/giving is a little risky perhaps.
When we lost our last dog, we took all her supplies food bedding and stuff to one of the local charity aid/rescue places who were very grateful.
They can manage them then and administer to incumbents that have been on such treatment before arrival

James

posted on 10/11/23 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
[we don't have any active moderators here] I think this is too far off topic, and openly offering prescription drugs is a bit of a bad idea. I suggest you delete the thread.

[Edited on 3-11-2023 by gremlin1234]

Too off topic???

This a scratch built car forum where the chassis forum has 50k entries and the 'Anything non-car related' has 350k posts!

We even have repeated threads of 'counting with number pictures' or something equally pointless.

Post away!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.