Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Have I got enough?
paul browne

posted on 5/2/05 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Have I got enough?

I have purchased a suzuki gsxr 750 ES (produces about 90 bhp) and I am planning to use the engine in a book chasi. Anyone got an idea of the sort performance I am likely to get and how might I squeeze out some more power?
phelpsa

posted on 5/2/05 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Is it a watercooled one?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
paul browne

posted on 5/2/05 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
no dose that matter?
chunkielad

posted on 5/2/05 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Sit in a traffic jam and watch it go boom!!!

Aircooled bike engines (like the Gixxer 750 and the gs500) rely on being in open air to keep cool and hence aren't really that ideal for a car as it ends up in a box. You can get around this but it'll need fans and ducting to ensure enough air goes over the engine (especially the cooling fins) to make sure it keeps cool and also somewhere for the hot air to go.

paul browne

posted on 5/2/05 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Do you think it would be better to look for another engine or is it easy enough to get round.
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 5/2/05 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paul browne
Do you think it would be better to look for another engine or is it easy enough to get round.
Think you should speak to colibriman and save your self a large amount of grief need a bike engine ? - www.colibriman.com email or u2u him nice man doesnt bite and has had his rabies jags!

chunkielad

posted on 5/2/05 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
I would go water cooled personally - I've had air cooled bikes and they don't like being sat still so to box it in as well is sort of asking for trouble. Calibriman is a VERY GOOD place to start.
paul browne

posted on 6/2/05 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
I think I should of asked for some advice before I bought the bike! any advice on engine size before I go looking again? (is 750cc big enough)
JoelP

posted on 6/2/05 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
1000cc is better really, the smaller engines have enough power but apparently the clutches arent usually up to the job - even big bike engines get through their clutches every 5k or so. search for a thread on clutch life...

hunt around, you will be able to find a 1000cc engine for not too much money.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

phelpsa

posted on 6/2/05 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
The GSXR750 had the same bottom end as the GSXR1100, which means it will be bullet proof. Also means the clutches are the same. It will be down on torque though.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
niceperson709

posted on 6/2/05 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
arn't the Gsxr engines OIL cooled ?
best wishes
Iain

Best wishes IAIN
life is not the rehearsal , it's the show so don't sit there thinking about it DO IT NOW
http://iainseven.wordpress.com/

NS Dev

posted on 6/2/05 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
Partially yes!

We use them a lot in autograss (the gsxr 1100's) and yes, most of the "earlier" ones (i.e. most of them full stop!) are air+oil cooled. In grassers people usually fit a pair of very large oil coolers and run them on synthetic oil which will stand very high temps before breaking down.

They only have to run for 5-6 mins or so flat out before they are allowed to cool down again though, and most come into the pits after the race unbelievably hot (i.e. you can't get near to the engine!!)

I wouldn't put an oil/air cooled gixxer engine in a road car, as was said, they are bulletproof under most circumstances, but will still not like to get too hot.

paul browne

posted on 6/2/05 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice I think I have bought the wrong engine I am going to try and find a water cooled one.

good job the gsxr was cheep!

NS Dev

posted on 6/2/05 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
You should be able to sell it again fairly easily, they are still desirable engines in the biking world!
phelpsa

posted on 6/2/05 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
Partially yes!

We use them a lot in autograss (the gsxr 1100's) and yes, most of the "earlier" ones (i.e. most of them full stop!) are air+oil cooled. In grassers people usually fit a pair of very large oil coolers and run them on synthetic oil which will stand very high temps before breaking down.

They only have to run for 5-6 mins or so flat out before they are allowed to cool down again though, and most come into the pits after the race unbelievably hot (i.e. you can't get near to the engine!!)

I wouldn't put an oil/air cooled gixxer engine in a road car, as was said, they are bulletproof under most circumstances, but will still not like to get too hot.

I'm running mine with one mahoosive mocal oil cooler (same size as a normal radiator), but it will only be doing <2minute runs at a time. My engine is one of the very last oil/air cooled ones, a 1992 one. They slowly got better as they went through.

Adam

undecided

posted on 6/2/05 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
Have i missed something or hasn't a 7 got a bloody great big hole in the front.....acting like a parachute

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.