Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Maybe not the best 4x4 on the road ?
Jon Ison

posted on 19/9/05 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe not the best 4x4 on the road ?

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,22749-1783784,00.html

john_p_b

posted on 19/9/05 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
surely that thing should be banned from being sold to the public?!

built a car, built a home, had a family. lost the family, lost the home, still got the car.

JoelP

posted on 19/9/05 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
the shame is, its so cheap that loads of people will be tempted!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Donners90

posted on 19/9/05 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Crash tested in Germany!

http://www.oeamtc.at/netautor/html_seiten/crashtest/leichtegelaendewagen/landwinddetail.htm

Just look at the driver injuries diagram!!!

video
http://www.oeamtc.at/netautor/html_seiten/crashtest/leichtegelaendewagen/landwinddetail.htm#
[Edited on 19-9-2005 by Donners90]

[Edited on 19-9-2005 by Donners90]

Hellfire

posted on 19/9/05 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Good lord above... that thing appears lethal However, it must pass something similar to the SVA to be allowed on our roads.

Doesn't it make you think about how safe we are driving around in our little Brum's? What chance have we got standing up to a 30mph lateral impact?

The more I read about 4x4 type vehicles the more I am convinced that the high driving stance and apparent safe feeling is all "tihs". Having first hand experience of being hit by a 4x4 my car sustained much less damage and my car was not unstable enough to flip over like the 4x4 was.

Did you know the highest death rate for any domestic road going vehicle is a 4x4... I've never liked 'em anyway, can you tell?

steve_gus

posted on 19/9/05 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
the article states that the car is 1990's technology.

like 70%+ of the cars on the road?

anyone drive less than an X reg on here? get yer death trap off the road.

atb

steve

http://www.locostbuilder.co.uk

Just knock off the 's'!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve_gus

posted on 19/9/05 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
try selecting

'alle crashtests'

watch the saxo one - looks worse to me!

atb

steve

Just knock off the 's'!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
benji106

posted on 19/9/05 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
blimey, got a 2 star rating tho...

-Everything in excess-

Hellfire

posted on 19/9/05 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
That Lancia Y thing... jesus wept!

Fiat Seicento (1 Star - looks lots worse than the 4x4's zero rating!)

[Edited on 19-9-05 by Hellfire]

skydivepaul

posted on 19/9/05 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
looks like it has a balsa wood chassis

http://www.smartideasuk.com
http://www.smartmapping.co.uk
HD CCTV
3D design solutions and integration
IP security systems
access control systems

NS Dev

posted on 20/9/05 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
nah, it's not as strong as balsa wood!
rusty nuts

posted on 20/9/05 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
Probably bamboo , they use it for everything in China
ayoungman

posted on 20/9/05 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
Personally, when I drive around London at rush hour, I really wouldn't want to be in anything other than my old Landrover. I've survived 4 impacts with other vehicles without a scratch. Obviously, when I drive it, you have got to be aware of its weight, braking inefficiency and lack of steering response.

"just like that !"

Mr G

posted on 20/9/05 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve_gus
the article states that the car is 1990's technology.

like 70%+ of the cars on the road?

anyone drive less than an X reg on here? get yer death trap off the road.

atb

steve

I might as well carry a body bag in the glovebox then of my "1983 on an 'A' plate mobile coffin"

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

posted on 20/9/05 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
This crap seems very suspicious to me.
I remember when the first cars arrived a few months ago and nobody from the motor press made any remarks regarding the safety of this car.
As Gusto rightly said if this is the standard than ALL 4x4's of the '90's should be banned,what a load of bullsh"t!
I think the sales figures are that scary to the European's that some kind of technique had to be invented to stop the Chinese.
If the car is beyond acceptable safety limits than simply forbid it to be imported!
I would like to know how a 40 mph frontal impact would reshape a human in a (German) SMART (no offence meant to our German friends on this forum)
There sure must be other means to counteract the "succes" of this car.

steve_gus

posted on 20/9/05 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Cita

the mcc smart is on there!

http://www.oeamtc.at/netautor/html_seiten/crashtest/mini/smartsidedetail.htm

its a 3 star car, and it seems to come off really well! Compare against the saxo for example.

Seems like the smaller cars have a little crumple zone, then are stiff enougth to bounce off the rest of the way - recon it would be a bit of a jolt tho!

atb

steve

Just knock off the 's'!

caber

posted on 20/9/05 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
So who is going to donate their locost for a crash test, in the interests of us all of course, to see how it performs:-)

Caber
( reguar driver of 1979 Range Rover and 1983 Land Rover!)

posted on 20/9/05 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
If my german is good enough Steve than the 3 yellow stars are in the "sufficient" catagory and not in the "good" catagory for the smart.
Oh well,the French played a similar trick with the small Merc a few years ago,even the Traby was better on that particular test!

smart51

posted on 20/9/05 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cita
I would like to know how a 40 mph frontal impact would reshape a human in a (German) SMART

Actually, not a lot. The smart does rather well in crash tests. Contrary to common predudice, a car's crashworthyness is not related to size, but to the passenger compartment's stiffness plus the correct compliance of the crumple zone. The smart has a tripple layer steed monocoque, making two box sections in all the rigid areas, rather than just one. It is mid engined and so all the sapce in the front is crumple zone, which is larger than you might think as it doesn't so much have a short nose as a far-forward windscreen. The smart doesn't have any back seats, which doesn't affect frontal impacts at all, though it does improve side impacts due to not having such a big hole to accomodate two doors on each side. euro NCAP's opinion of the smart was that it was, if anything, a bit too stiff for the 40MPH tests. Most cars now are designed to just withstand a 40MPH crash, using up all their compliance at the euro NCAP speed to give the pest NCAP result. older cars were designed to a 30 MPH test which is why they did badly at NCAP. The smart is not so soft but too stiff at 40MPH. Better if your in a 50MPH crash.

Those of you who design chassis will know that smaller lengths of steel are more rigid than longer ones. Just look at crash test photos of the smart, especially the one where it was crashed into a Fiat Seicento, and the seicento is 50% longer than a smart.

smart51

posted on 20/9/05 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr G
I might as well carry a body bag in the glovebox then of my "1983 on an 'A' plate mobile coffin"

Nah! That's what paramedics are for!

Of course, you could try to avoid crashing.

Liam

posted on 20/9/05 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Watch that video carefully... keep your eyes on the steering wheel/column

How a car looks on the outside after an impact may not necessarily relate to the injuries sustained by the occupants!

Liam

quattromike

posted on 20/9/05 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
I tell you what if I was going to crash and I had a choice of hitting a tree or that thing I thing it would be the 4x4 i'd be heading for , looks like a nice soft landing
Mike

Mr G

posted on 21/9/05 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
quote:

Of course, you could try to avoid crashing.

When the area you live in is 'beige rover retirementville' it's not me going into someone I have to worry about

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

smart51

posted on 21/9/05 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
When the area you live in is 'beige rover retirementville' it's not me going into someone I have to worry about

Ah, that's alright then. Beige Rovers don't go fast enough to cause any real damage. Body bag not required.

Rek

posted on 30/9/05 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
More worrying is that it's that cheap there'll be loads more of them parked down by my kid's school in the mornings. It's like a bleeding off road club already. The worst bit is the council painted lines and raised the curbs to stop parking during the summer hols now we cant walk down the road cos they park on the pavement instead!!!
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.