Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Best antivirus ???
pmw

posted on 15/2/07 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
Best antivirus ???

Can anyone recommend any anti-virus software? Preferably something which actually works, and dosn't use 250Mbytes of RAM in the background.

Have been using Norton, but managed to get infected from a spam email - despite constant definition updates. And the thing uses tons of memory anyway.

mookaloid

posted on 15/2/07 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
Kaspersky is supposed to be about the best but it does slow things down a bit!

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

flak monkey

posted on 15/2/07 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
AVG works just fine for me

Norton is a pile of shite if ever there was one

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

vinny1275

posted on 15/2/07 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
AVG is pretty good (and free!)

http://free.grisoft.com

coozer

posted on 15/2/07 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
The Techs at my ISP recommended AVG, best thing is its free and doesn't slow me 'puter down.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Catpuss

posted on 15/2/07 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, I've tried

Macafee - Nightmare to remove at times
Norton - Feels like bloatware
AVG - Good and free
CA Antivirus (Rebundled Zone alarm and a few others), good and cheap (free for a year with Vista)
NTL Netguard - Free with NTL, had viruses get past it though on friends' PCs.

AVG is good enough up to now.

ady8077

posted on 15/2/07 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

I use Avast, its free and was recomended on the gadget show

http://www.avast.com/index.html

Adrian

ricklawn

posted on 15/2/07 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
i have been recomended avg and just installed it and done system scan and it has found a trojen. what pisses me off is that for the last couple of year i had been using norton, and still getting viruses
coozer

posted on 15/2/07 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
I was having a problem with my ISP and the tech guy asked;
"what antivirus are you using?"
Usual reply
"Norton"
"Boosh! take it off he said."
"What should I use then?"
"Anything, anything is better than Norton" was his reply!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

donut

posted on 15/2/07 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
AVG works just fine for me

Norton is a pile of shite if ever there was one
Same here!!!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
viatron

posted on 15/2/07 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
i use avg free and the network version for clients, highly recommend ti, dont touch norton with a barge pole, its useless.
Mac

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrsgrain

posted on 15/2/07 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
A Mac

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

flak monkey

posted on 15/2/07 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrsgrain
A Mac

Chris

Just you wait until macs become popular, then you will be just as screwed You arent immune, just a sitting target.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

britishtrident

posted on 15/2/07 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Avira AntiVir -- very low resources uses very effective, unobtrusive in use, unlike AVG has a pleasant looking interface and dosen't give lots of false posatives.

http://www.avira.com

cerbera

posted on 15/2/07 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
NOD 32

Best there is, or so I'm led to believe

chrsgrain

posted on 15/2/07 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Mac - popular... that would be like scientology getting a mass following..... Hmmm

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

RichardK

posted on 15/2/07 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
AVG Free for a home box, Nod32 for a client server network.

Norton not good in my opinion

Regards

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

speedyxjs

posted on 15/2/07 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
AVG

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

BenB

posted on 15/2/07 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Combination of AVG / Spyware search + destroy / Adaware

(after all try and seperate a virus, adware, spyware etc nowadays)...

with a quick Online Panda every few weeks.... works for me!!!!!

RazMan

posted on 15/2/07 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
There is a school of thought suggesting that many of the viruses are created by the software manufacturers to 'justify' their own program's existence ......... or am I a cynic? I used to use a few different progs - Norton, Panda & Sophos. I havent had anything 'protecting' me for the last two years and I'm still here

Seriously though, a lot of harmless programs & files are often flagged up as being trojans etc simply because their code has been written badly.

[Edited on 15-2-07 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

martyn_16v

posted on 15/2/07 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cerbera
NOD 32

Best there is, or so I'm led to believe

Ding ding, give the man a prize NOD32 is the dog's danglies, it's been consistently at the top in tests for detection rates for years, it's small and friendly and doesn't take longer to scan a document than it takes you to read it, unlike some other products that may have already been mentioned. It's also not hugely popular, so hasn't been a target in itself for viruses much, unlike norton/sophos etc. It won't f*ck up your internet/email/everything like NIS tends to either.

Come to think about it, I think NOD32 is about the only software i've paid for in the last couple of years

pajsh

posted on 15/2/07 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Avast for me recommended by local techie.

Having said that I went for years without anything at home and never had a problem.

Not a major issue either for me at home as it gives me a good excuse to do a clean install and tidy things up.

At work is a different matter though.

[Edited on 15/2/07 by pajsh]

I used to be apathetic but now I just don't care.

jlparsons

posted on 15/2/07 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Researched this a while ago, read an article somewhere by someoneorother on the interweb who seemed well informed who'd actually tested the various AV packages with large numbers of known infected files and saw what would infect and what wouldn't. Can't remember where, was a year or two ago. It concluded McAfee was marginally the best, norton behind that, AVG was worst but the margin was so small that is was unlikely to be statistically significant. Importantly ALL of them let a small percentage of viruses go undetected.
I've stuck with AVG, never gone wrong yet. Spyware has got past it a couple of times, but then it also got past norton when i used that. I use Spybot Search and Destroy (also free) and that does away with the spyware.

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 15/2/07 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
Ive administered both Norton AV Corporate and CA eTrust AV at work and IMHO both are a pile of sh1te. As an example with eTrust I can drop an infected file onto a server protected by its realtime scanner and despite the scanner being told to monitor all incoming and outgoing traffic, it doesn't detect the infected file until the overnight scan of the entire hard drive! It will still detect if the file is executed in Windows but in some circumstances that isn't going to stop an infection occuring.

Out of the two free products (AVG and Avast) both are pretty good but I would recommend Avast. It has far more functionality than AVG Free including POP3 / SMTP E-Mail scanners and peer 2 peer scanning for Bittorrent etc. It also uses very little resources and I find the definition update facility to be far more configurable and reliable than AVG, which if the machine is not switched on very often or only switched on for a short amount of time, can persistently fail to update itself.

Chris

DarrenW

posted on 15/2/07 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
Ive just installed AVG on wifes laptop tonight. It seems to be taking and age to scan for virusses. 30 mins to scan 60K files and still going. Is this normal.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.