Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: TV recorder/hard drive.
Chippy

posted on 27/2/07 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
TV recorder/hard drive.

Hi, thinking of changing from our VHS, to a hard drive type recorder. Problem is know absolutely s*d all about this, being electronicaly challenged. Anybody give me a brief, (in non technical terms), break down of what I should be looking at. Thanks, Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

scottc

posted on 27/2/07 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a Humax 9200T and am very pleased with it.

Basically you should look at the size of the Hard Drive, and the number of tuners.

The humax had a 160GB HD and two tuners, which basically means I can in certain cases record two programs and watch a third at the same time.

Think I paid about £200 for it.

JohnN

posted on 27/2/07 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
If you use Sky, get the Sky+ recorder - very simple to programme & use compared to a standard recorder
nick205

posted on 27/2/07 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
I tried a Daewoo one that was pants and got swapped for a Thomson DHD400. Very good so far, twin tuners and a good clear program guide, easy to set-up and use too. It only has a 40gb hard drive, but to be honest we only use it for pausing live TV and recording the odd film to watch at the weekend. If you have a DVD recorder you can always archive stuff from the box onto DVD anyway.

A couple of friends with other makes of box have commented that the Thomson one is quieter then theirs too (the noise comes from the internal hard drive).

Check out http://www.avforums.com/ for useful reviews and info.

As the adverts say it will change the way you watch TV

Chippy

posted on 27/2/07 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
JohnN

Assume that you have Sky+, what does it work in the way of cost. We do have sky standard. Cheers, Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

BenB

posted on 27/2/07 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
My brother got my peeps one of those for Chrimbo. Nice bit of kit..... I like the instant rewind / replay action....

quote:
Originally posted by scottc
I've got a Humax 9200T and am very pleased with it.

Basically you should look at the size of the Hard Drive, and the number of tuners.

The humax had a 160GB HD and two tuners, which basically means I can in certain cases record two programs and watch a third at the same time.

Think I paid about £200 for it.

pinto

posted on 27/2/07 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
HUMAX ++++

Had sky + but got fed up with subs
so changed to humax with 160g hard drive
does everything sky + does but no subs (free view channels only but how many do you need)

jambo

posted on 27/2/07 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
simple £180 humax or £230 topfield
mark chandler

posted on 27/2/07 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
My Humax is good quality, I have a feeling that with Sky+ if you stop the subscription they stop the record/pause feature so on principle I would not buy one from them.

But then I do not like the sky monopoly so would not have thier box anyway.

Regards Mark

Chippy

posted on 27/2/07 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guy's, looks like a HUMAX 9200T then, now just got to find where to get one. Ray

geoff shep

posted on 28/2/07 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
Seconded - or thirded or whatever. Have had a 9200T for a while and still impressed. Plenty of info here Hummy Forum and software updates available here Humax.

If it had a DVD recorder built in it would be perfect.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.