Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rocket-launched R/C glider?
David Jenkins

posted on 28/2/07 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
Rocket-launched R/C glider?

I was watching a programme about cruise missiles on Sky today. Part of the programme was about the early experiments with gyro guidance systems, and they got a bloke with a R/C glider to illustrate the sorts of problems they would have experienced then (the model had electronic gyros controlling the servos)

What impressed me was the way the bloke launched his glider - put it into a rack made from 3 or 4 rods, pressed a button and the plane zoomed up 2 or 3 hundred feet on a model rocket motor, in just a few seconds! Very impressive and looked like heaps of fun.

The plane had a wingspan of about 1 metre, with an inverted "V" tailplane (presumably to avoid the jet flame) and a curved, swept-back wing. It was obviously extremely lightweight, and he had tiny R/C gear (servos, etc).

Anyone know what model this was? Was it a one-off, or a kit?

David

scottc

posted on 28/2/07 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
a bit like this?
bilbo

posted on 28/2/07 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote

I used to do this many years ago when I was a student. Had a special mounting for a model rocket motor slung under the RC glider. We'd launch the glider by hand, then, when you were ready, the motor could be fired with the aux channel on the controller.

Talk about climb rate

---------------------------------------

Build Diary: http://bills-locost.blogspot.com/
Web Site: http://locost.atspace.com

David Jenkins

posted on 28/2/07 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scottc
a bit like this?

Very similar, except the wing had a smooth curve on the leading edge, and the rocket was under the fuselage. The launcher was identical though.

bigbravedave

posted on 28/2/07 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
Ahh the mispent youth of model rockets, There are a few kits about, I think the estes one has a v tail, very simple, I have had a go with one, but with the height you gain your better off with a bungie launch system, which opens you out to a whole world of choices, or theres lots of good electric gliders, gone are the days of spring start cox engines.

At a younger age, I got a model rocket kit one christmas, by boxing day we were launching rapping paper tubes with balsa fins and polystyrene nose cones. By easter we were launching Liquid fueled carpet tubes, until one day the recovery parachute failed to deploy. and we it came down just about as quickly as it went up! ahh so much fun

bigandy

posted on 28/2/07 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Wouldn't be this by any chance would it?

http://www.modelrockets.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?cPath=74_47&products_id=969

Cheers
Andy

Dammit! Too many decisions....

David Jenkins

posted on 28/2/07 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
That's the one! I bet that's not easy to fly - small, light, fast.

cheers.

bigandy

posted on 28/2/07 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
If they are anything like the gliders I fly, it will be realtively straightforward to fly. It is built to be very very light, and have a very low wingloading. This in turn means that the normal airspeed will be very sedate (especially with the flaps dropped a few mm).

During the boost phase (whne the rocket motor is doing its thing), the glider is essentially self guided (i.e. upwards!) the pilot will have control if needed, but will try to leave the controls alone as much as possible, as this will decrease the boost altitude (any control surface movement increases drag, which at the speeds they boost at, can be quite a major amount!).

I fly DLG (Discus Launch Gliders) gliders by the way, these are essentially the same, except there is no rocket to loft the plane to altitude, just me

Cheers
Andy

David Jenkins

posted on 28/2/07 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigandy
I fly DLG (Discus Launch Gliders) gliders by the way, these are essentially the same, except there is no rocket to loft the plane to altitude, just me

I read about those - is it really as simple as it sounds? What sort of altitude can you get from a launch?

bigandy

posted on 28/2/07 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
It is relatively simple yes, it is all in the timing (to get a good launch anyway). Depending on the airframe, I can get between 10 and 30 metres altitude from a good launch.

It's annoying too, becuase sometimes I can put put all of my 130Kg mass behind a launch and it is rubbish, and other times I just do a half hearted fling, and it is just as good, if not better!

The hard part is keeping the glider up once it has been launched though

Cheers
Andy

David Jenkins

posted on 28/2/07 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
When I lived in S Wales I used to do slope soaring - all I had to do was wander up to a convenient cliff facing the wind and point it in the right direction - didn't even need to fling it. Mind you, landing was a different issue, as the turbulence behind a cliff is fierce! I had to fly it at speed into a landing and hope that I'd got it right.

When I moved to East Anglia I was disappointed by the lack of "up-ness", so an alternative way of getting an unpowered glider into the air is required...

Not sure I want to get into R/C flying again though - I have enough hobbies (aka time-wasters!).

cheers,
David

[Edited on 28/2/07 by David Jenkins]

mad4x4

posted on 28/2/07 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at the hobby zone powered models they are cheep and chearful and esay to fly

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

BenB

posted on 28/2/07 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigbravedave
Ahh the mispent youth of model rockets, There are a few kits about, I think the estes one has a v tail, very simple, I have had a go with one, but with the height you gain your better off with a bungie launch system, which opens you out to a whole world of choices, or theres lots of good electric gliders, gone are the days of spring start cox engines.

Oh I don't know- my Cox BlackWidow still works pretty nicely

[Edited on 28/2/07 by BenB]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.