Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: any advice dad had his car bumped
Aboardman

posted on 28/3/07 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
any advice dad had his car bumped

hi

someone has run into my dads car and has damaged the 2 doors on the drivers side. the doors still open, but has dents in them.

the other driver admits it was his fault (he was in a lane to turn right and then turned left into my dad)

my dad insurance company has been on the phone and said will write off the car and give him £260 less the excess. they have not been to look at the damage they say that is the book price and not worth coming to look at it. my dad spoke to the other person insurance company and they are following the lines of what my dads insurance company are saying.

the car is an old rover 214 k reg, but only done 48k miles. i only replaced the exhaust including the cat 3 days before the accident.

what i do not understand is why it is my dads insurance company making the offer, after all the other driver admits it was his fault, and why loss the excess now only for it be claimed back.

does anybody know what the book price for this car is.

my dad would like the car repaired or have the car back (and some cash) and we will repair it. as it was not at fault so why should he be out of pocket to try and get another car with less that 50k miles on it.

has anybody any suggestions.

thanks

caber

posted on 28/3/07 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
If you are comprehensive insured your insurance company will deal with the claim and get their money back from the other insurance co. You have to claim the excess back from the other driver's company along with any other uninsured "reasonable expenses" incurred these are usually car hire if your car is off the road.

You do have a right to buy back the salvage from your insurance company so do ask them about this, at least you get the opportunity to repair the car though it will be a "write off" on HPI even if you get it properly repaired.

Insurance is gambling with all the decks set against you. Whatever they say once you have an accident you are a loser one way or anopther!

Caber

UncleFista

posted on 28/3/07 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Remember, he doesn't have to accept their offer.
In fact, most first offers are derisory in my experience.

If they won't up the offer, I've heard of people collecting ads of the same age/type of vehicle and sending them to the insurance co. to value the vehicle.

Edited to say; Oops, just re-read your post and it's your own ins co you're talking about, sorry I was on about the 3rd party's co...

[Edited on 28/3/07 by UncleFista]

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

Mark Allanson

posted on 28/3/07 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Withdraw the claim and use a third party credit repair company, the valuation will be much higher than the insurers, if the car is undriveable they will supply a replacement, and you will be able to retain the 'salvage' for a nominal sum.

If you get stuck, I can sort it out for you, I have done this for a couple of locosters with their tintops, with excellent results

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Hellfire

posted on 28/3/07 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Get some prices of the cost to replace the car... try as near as possible to use the same criteria, mileage, condition etc from trade and private sources.

Send this information to the respective insurance company and ask that they replace the vehicle with one of equivalent criteria - if they can.

I did this a number of years ago with a Ford Orion 1600E I had and got the full price I insured it for.

Steve

Duncan_P

posted on 28/3/07 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UncleFista
If they won't up the offer, I've heard of people collecting ads of the same age/type of vehicle and sending them to the insurance co. to value the vehicle.
[Edited on 28/3/07 by UncleFista]

This is sound advice, find as many adds as you can of comparable cars in your area as possible. I know rovers are cheap at the moment but £260 is a joke.

Aboardman

posted on 28/3/07 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
Withdraw the claim and use a third party credit repair company, the valuation will be much higher than the insurers, if the car is undriveable they will supply a replacement, and you will be able to retain the 'salvage' for a nominal sum.

If you get stuck, I can sort it out for you, I have done this for a couple of locosters with their tintops, with excellent results

thanks for that mark.

when you say withdraw the claim it from my dads insurance company?

if you can help on what my dad needs to do that would be a great help.

I think caber is right with what he says that my dads insurance company is trying to settle the claim without my dads interest taking into account.

arrybradbury

posted on 28/3/07 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
You're lucky, i had some s*d drive down the side of my car causing scratches and dents and no passenger side mirror but didn't stop, i'm now left with a damaged car that i can't afford to have repaired.....!
Sorry, OT there, but i agree, find as many samples of similar cars as possible!

PeterW

posted on 29/3/07 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry but.....

The insurance companies are both wrong...! In this instance, your father can request that the vehicle is restored to its pre-accident condition regardless of cost (up to about £5m IIRC... )

Its about liability to a third party, and your fathers insurance company is taking the easy way out. They probably have a claims agreement with the other insurer which will mean that they don't pass over the costs for small claims - this is probably one of them.

An insurance company can only write off a vehicle they insure when you are liable. If an insured third party has caused the damage they have to pay !

Cheers

Peter

Nick Skidmore

posted on 29/3/07 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
Your father has a right in common law to be restored to how he was before the accident.

Get him to tell the insurance company that and see how he gets on, it's no skin of their noses as the other chaps insurance has to pay for it.

Small claims agianst the chap or his insurers will also work.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
DarrenW

posted on 29/3/07 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
I had someone drive into the side of me. I contacted insurance company first off (no chance of write off as car value was high enough). I then contacted bodyshop who got an accident management company involved. I withdrew the claim with my insurer and the Acc mgmt company dealt with it all via the third party insurers. Might be worth a try going this route (sounds like this is what Mark is suggesting).

Most bodyshops have such comapnies they deal with. In the end i was brought a replacement car and the mgmt company took mine in for it to be repaired. I only had to go and collect so i could inspect the repair.

britishtrident

posted on 29/3/07 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
The reality is a K reg 214 even an immaculate low mileage one is worth less than the excess

Auction value is about 80 to 200 pounds depending entirely on length of MOT

DarrenW

posted on 29/3/07 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
It sounds like even if you go thro acc mgmt company the result may be the same.

What about dropping the claims and getting the other driver to pay privately - say try gettong £300 or so out of him. His excess is probs not far off this and at least he wont have a claim against him. Then use the cash to get a couple of doors off a breakers. That way the car wont be registered as a write off (unless it is already declared as such).

Will the dents push out or repair? Maybe a local garage might do the repair for a few hundred for cash.

Aboardman

posted on 29/3/07 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
It sounds like even if you go thro acc mgmt company the result may be the same.

What about dropping the claims and getting the other driver to pay privately - say try gettong £300 or so out of him. His excess is probs not far off this and at least he wont have a claim against him. Then use the cash to get a couple of doors off a breakers. That way the car wont be registered as a write off (unless it is already declared as such).

Will the dents push out or repair? Maybe a local garage might do the repair for a few hundred for cash.

The other driver insurance company has just offered £300 to do the repairs our self.

and a work mate has 2 doors for sale for same car for £20 only needs a coat of green paint.

result.

[Edited on 29/3/07 by Aboardman]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.