Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I just bought my first house!
James

posted on 14/5/07 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
I just bought my first house!

I just bought my first house!

Actually, a few of you know about this already as I completed about 4 weeks ago, but somehow have only just got round to posting it.

This unflattering picture is of the house opposite that's for sale (since we moved in? ). It's basically the same house.

Unfortunately it doesn't come with a garage- but there's a block of them nearby so hoping one will come up for sale soon.

Dunno why I'm posting it here really... probably just cos I'll have a bunch of DIY questions to ask you lot soon!

Cheers,
James

[Edited on 14/5/07 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

ned

posted on 14/5/07 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
So have you finished with my steam wallpaper stripper yet then James, you've had it a few weeks?

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
graememk

posted on 14/5/07 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
i'm going to be really rude here but may i ask what a house like that costs down your way ?

around here 2/3 bed semi around the 100 to 130 mark

[Edited on 14/5/07 by graememk]

James

posted on 14/5/07 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by graememk
i'm going to be really rude here but may i ask what a house like that costs down your way ?

around here 2/3 bed semi around the 100 to 130 mark

[Edited on 14/5/07 by graememk]

Hah! I wish!

I just paid £214k for mine (3 bed) on an asking of 225k. The house in the picture which has a small extension on the back and a garage is up to £275.

So I've only been there 4 weeks and I'm already rich!

Cheers,
James

P.S. Ned, yeah done with it- thanks. Will bring it back whenever you want. We had the sitting room and all three bedrooms stripped in the first weekend! Not bad when my girldfriend had only just had her appendix out as well!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

graememk

posted on 14/5/07 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
wow i dont know how you can afford to buy down there

i have a small detached 3 bed it cost me 100k (4 years ago) and the guy next door has his for sale at £159

when it was built 18 years ago it was 38k new

juneoutside
juneoutside

flak monkey

posted on 14/5/07 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
I just paid £214k for mine (3 bed) on an asking of 225k. The house in the picture which has a small extension on the back and a garage is up to £275

I knew living in norfolk had some advantage, think I just found the biggest!

Thats bloody expensive (comparatively anyway). Looked at a 2 bed bungalow with garage and nice garden for about £120k the other week.

But nevermind, its a good step in the right direction. You'll never do anything on the car now though, as you will always have something to do on the house

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

bob

posted on 14/5/07 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
James

How much did she get for the appendix ?

I know its bad down here for 1st time buyers but i didnt think it had come to that.

214K is a good deal down here, the only new builds going up are flats at the moment so houses are set to rise in price.

which pleases me

Lawnmower

posted on 14/5/07 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
Congratulations

quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey

But nevermind, its a good step in the right direction. You'll never do anything on the car now though, as you will always have something to do on the house

David

Too true

carlgeldard

posted on 14/5/07 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
Jesus!!!!!! 214K that's 175 thousand more that I paided 10 years ago for the same type of house.

Carl

whitestu

posted on 14/5/07 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
I misread that one first time round, and thought you had bought a horse!
James

posted on 14/5/07 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
You'll never do anything on the car now though, as you will always have something to do on the house

David

You're right there! There is sooo much to do. Especially as we're meant to be having a party there end of August so we need it semi respectable by then.

Every room is a wreck except the kitchen currently.

We've spent every week night, every weekend and I've gone home most lunchtimes for a couple of hours for 4 weeks now!

But that's the benefit of not living there... can trash the place and it doesn't matter too much.

Anyone else fitted their own windows?

Cheers,
James

TheGecko

posted on 14/5/07 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
Wow! I've just had a reminder that Australia is relatively cheap to live in!

We've been in our current house since March '02. It's a 5-bed, 2-bath, 2-car garage (+ extra workshop space), on 1100 sq.m at the end of a cul de sac with lovely mountain views. We paid just over $200k for it then (about £84k) but due to a boom in the property market over the last few years (plus some improvements we've done) it's probably worth twice that now.

Oh, and it's 12km from the centre of Brisbane and only 18 minutes on the train to work in the city.

Fuel (98 octane) is 53p/litre. Good fillet steak is £8.50/kg. Median salary is around $50k => £21k. Senior analyst like me on about £30k. No heating bills - mild air conditioning in summer.

Why would I live anywhere else

D

Peteff

posted on 14/5/07 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone else fitted their own windows?

Does anyone not fit their own windows? I've concreted floors, put ceilings up and plastered, knocked walls out and bricked door holes up. Also felted and tiled a roof a couple of months ago. I made window frames 20+ years ago but now am replacing them with dg plastic as they get ready.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

James

posted on 14/5/07 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
Does anyone not fit their own windows? I've concreted floors, put ceilings up and plastered, knocked walls out and bricked door holes up. Also felted and tiled a roof a couple of months ago. I made window frames 20+ years ago but now am replacing them with dg plastic as they get ready.

As far as I can tell 99.9% of people pay to have them fitted.

But with the daft quotes we've been getting for windows I need to look into doing it myself. I went over to a friend's last night who has fitted them himself and has done a really top looking job. So I'm interested in attempting it myself.

Cheers,
James

James

posted on 14/5/07 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CaLviNx
Hi

Holy S*it £214k for a semi.........

Joys of living in the South East!

Commuter belt- tastic!

It's a 3/4minute walk from a Waterloo serving station which doesn't help to be honest!

mcerd1

posted on 14/5/07 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
£214k I knew that there had to be somewhere in the country more expensive than here (Edinburgh commuter belt)

Mine cost me £130k last November for a 2 bed ex-council end terrace (circa 1950) with decent size garden and a shed and a wooden garage (not big or good enough for the kit though )

It had been on at offers over £115k and most round here would have gone for at least £135-140 (but the decoration was/is that bad - not badly done, just bad taste) so I was the only offer

[Edited on 14/5/07 by mcerd1]

fesycresy

posted on 14/5/07 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
James,

Fitting windows is a piece of p*ss. Bought mine straight from the factory.

They're just fixed in with 100mm screws and after 10 years they haven't fallen out, must have done it right !

You'll probably need a yankee screwdriver, but no big deal.

Have fun, Lyn.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

matt.c

posted on 14/5/07 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by James
I just paid £214k for mine (3 bed) on an asking of 225k. The house in the picture which has a small extension on the back and a garage is up to £275

I knew living in norfolk had some advantage, think I just found the biggest!

Thats bloody expensive (comparatively anyway). Looked at a 2 bed bungalow with garage and nice garden for about £120k the other week.

David

Where the hell did you see that? mine is a detatched 2 bedroom bungalow, no garage and its worth around the £175000 mark!

flak monkey

posted on 14/5/07 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt.c
Where the hell did you see that? mine is a detatched 2 bedroom bungalow, no garage and its worth around the £175000 mark!

Terrington, the parents nearly bought it but couldnt get the money quick enough. Went up for sale on the thursday, had 3 bids by the end of the day. Went to the first person to turn up with the cash!

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

ned

posted on 14/5/07 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
Well my 2 bedroom semi in guildford (about 5 miles from James' is worth at least £205k as that's what next door's went for and mine has off road parking for 2 cars, garage, conservatory and bigger garden

Believe me when I say (no offence James) but for a 3 bed semi his was actually quite 'cheap' in our area of Surrey!

Ned.

ps I paid £181k for mine 3 years ago...

It's not hard to see that now I'm living alone I don't have the money to get my locost finished and pay for the house!!

[Edited on 14/5/07 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NS Dev

posted on 14/5/07 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
Holy cripes, I'm pretty happy with where I live then!!!!

I paid £44k for my 3 bed semi, with 100ft x 30ft rear garden, front garden etc, just under 6 years ago, in Barwell near Hinckley, Leicestershire.

pS well done though, now you will be REALLY busy, not just busy!!

[Edited on 14/5/07 by NS Dev]

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

spaximus

posted on 14/5/07 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
congratulations James, as others have said you will find lots of more pressing things to spend your money on now.
I guess with the cost you will have a big mortage, so I will tell you what i was when I got my first home. Pay as much off as quick as you can, sacrifice some pleasures now as it will save you thousands in the long run. It will seem hard but at 32 years old I had cleared my mortage after 10 years, which was a huge amonut in 1980.
Some of my friends who did the opposite, lived life and paid the minimum each month still have huge mortages as every time they trade up they take the maximum they can, and tell me how lucky I am.
If you are handy, which building a locost, i assume you are, you can easily fit windows kitchens bathrooms etc and but some value on the house.
Whatever you do good luck for the future

bob

posted on 14/5/07 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
I doubt if i am 20 miles from ned/james, paid £109K eight years ago this month for my victorian semi (villa) and next door just sold for £295K.

It is stupid money down here especially near the airport, i would just not want to be starting out again.

Good luck james it will all be worth the hard work

Lightning

posted on 14/5/07 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Well I bought this 5yrs ago and i just keep on spending money on it like its going out of fasion.Fortunatly as I moved down from London I managed to pay cash.
Benefits of being an old git. 50 next year

[Edited on 14/5/07 by Lightning] Rescued attachment 28 September 2002.jpg
Rescued attachment 28 September 2002.jpg

Steve

James

posted on 14/5/07 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning
Well I bought this 5yrs ago and i just keep on spending money on it like its going out of fasion.Fortunatly as I moved down from London I managed to pay cash.
Benefits of being an old git. 50 next year

[Edited on 14/5/07 by Lightning]

Wow! That is amazing!

I see what you mean when I've read your 'Faulty Towers' profile in the past!

Do you run it as a hotel/guest house? Or just a massive house?

As for the price of mine.... it was about average for size/area. To be honest I've been seriously looking for a house for over a year. The amount of places I've lost through trying to be clever and put in a low offer is ridiculous. With an average house price rise of £13k in this area in the last 12mths it was actually costing me money just *not* buying a house!
I've been saving for many years to buy a place, but I couldn't save a fast as prices are going up, so by waiting I was just throwing money away.
My brother in law said to me: "stop farting around...if you buy somewhere and don't like it, just sell it 3mths later.... you'll probably still make money even if you don't touch it". So I did. And so far I'm very pleased with the area.

Not so pleased with the state of the plumbing and the electrics. But as someone who's built a Locost having previously only changed the oil, I'm clearly willing to give things a try and learn new skills!

Cheers,
James

P.S. It helps that my cousing is a plasterer, my Dad is an electronics engineer, and one of my best mates is a plumber!!!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.