Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: O/T - rock angling near runswick bay, whitby
DarrenW

posted on 15/8/07 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
O/T - rock angling near runswick bay, whitby

Been ages since i did any sea fishing. Going camping at Runswick Bay with family at weekend. Want to take 5 year old rock fishing. Anyone know any good tackle shops nearby to get some bait and what is a good spot at Runswick to catch some fish just for fun.
Ive borrowed a rod and reel so wont be doing any competitive fishing. Im racking my brains trying to remember what to do!!

owelly

posted on 15/8/07 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Rods and Reels on Church Street in Whitby. It's just over the Old Swing bridge on the East side. They sell everything you'll need for the fishing!
In my limited experiences of fishing, a five year old rock will struggle to cast......try a hand line.

[Edited on 15/8/07 by owelly]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DarrenW

posted on 16/8/07 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers Owelly.

Do you think id be better off using a lead weight rather than the 5year old rock?
I also have doubts if the 5yr old daughter will be able to cast etc so i may just have to take over a bit
I have mad ideas about getting up early to get some bait when the tide goes out but will probs go to the shop! Unless i can get some mussels from the local pub and wash the garlic sauce off them.

i dont hold out much hope of catching a fish but im looking forward to trying. Borrowed a rod and reel off a work colleague and he has given me a mini refresher course. i may have more luck catching something in a rock pool.

Coose

posted on 16/8/07 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
When I was a kid I used to go on to Runswick beach to dig up little crabs to use as bait.....

Spin 'er off Well...

David Jenkins

posted on 16/8/07 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
I think a 5-year-old girl might freak out at the thought of putting live little crabs onto hooks!

Coose

posted on 16/8/07 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
Bah, kids aren't what they used to be! What ever happened to a feast of worms and soil?

Spin 'er off Well...

DarrenW

posted on 16/8/07 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
yeah i think she may have a hard time coming into terms with this but its all part of growing up. She doesnt have a problem eating sea food so im up for introducing to her where it all comes from. When i order tiger prawns, mussels, octopus, squid etc she fights me for it! (cooked though rather than still wriggling).

Its my wife that i will get the hardest time off if i manage to catch a decent fish and decide it will be good for our tea. She hates the thought of killing things. She cant eat fish if it comes out with head still on and only eats certain meat as long as she doesnt have to see what happened to it! Ill probs have to put any fish i catch back.

Fred W B

posted on 16/8/07 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
Pah, stop messing about, this is what real 5 year olds catch out here

fish 01
fish 01

[Edited on 16/8/07 by Fred W B]

Fred W B

posted on 16/8/07 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
No seriously, this 45Kg Cob was caught by a colleague of mine in the surf at a local river mouth on his first cast of the day. He was using light tackle - a 12 foot rod, Shimano TR 200 reel and 8Kg kingfisher giant abrasion line. It took 90 minutes to land the fish. He was on his own, and had to carry the fish maybe a kilometre back to the pickup!

Cheers

Fred W B

PS please excuse thread drift, I've been waiting for an excuse to post those pics

[img][/img]

DarrenW

posted on 16/8/07 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote

Blimey - thats a whopper and a half. Id have to let it go as it wont fit my bbq!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.