Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: My rear axle is a female dog
speedyxjs

posted on 27/9/07 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
My rear axle is a female dog

I was trying to undo my rear axle and after spraying loads of WD40 on all the nuts, i started to undo them and look what happened

Broke it
Broke it

Now that i know it wont budge can i get the diff out from the rear axle without dropping it out of the car? I know its not much help but here is a picture from underneath. It was the bolt in the middle of the picture that did it

A frame
A frame

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Ketchup

posted on 27/9/07 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
you not been trying to break nuts/bolts with a ratchet have you?

if the head of the bolt in question is not rounded, just keep at it! or gas cut it out

stevebubs

posted on 27/9/07 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
You may want to start using the right tool for the job.... Big breaker bar or impact wrench is what you need to be using.

*Minimum* 1/2in drive and ideally using an impact socket.

speedyxjs

posted on 27/9/07 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ketchup
or gas cut it out

Sorry guys my tool kit is kind of basic (but not cheap). Just to make me sound even more stupid how expencive would it be to gas cut it?

blakep82

posted on 27/9/07 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
your lucky, my axle's just a bitch.

i can't really tell from the pics, what's actually happened?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

NS Dev

posted on 27/9/07 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
would that be a jag XJ rear end???

If so......good luck!!!

I have never got the wishbones off one yet without gas axe and wrecking them in the process.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

iank

posted on 27/9/07 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
your lucky, my axle's just a bitch.

i can't really tell from the pics, what's actually happened?

He's snapped the ratchet key off (don't know the proper name, the bit the socket clips onto).

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

blakep82

posted on 27/9/07 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
oooh, the little square drive thing?! grim. impact wrench i reckon is needed here

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

speedyxjs

posted on 27/9/07 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev

If so......good luck!!!

I have never got the wishbones off one yet without gas axe and wrecking them in the process.

Thanks, that makes me feel much better. If i cant get it out this weekend im just going to kck the bloody car and do some ebaying
The problem is that the car is more rust than anything else

caber

posted on 27/9/07 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
Cheap solution if you have space is to get a Halfords impact screwdriver which has a half inch drive and a suitable socket or set of impact sockets. you put the socket on the impact driver and wallop the end with a decent size hammer, nothing less than 2lb better 4lb, this should start to free it off. if this does not do anything get an ordinary plumbers blowtorch at it until the nut or bolt starts to go dull red, take away the heat and try again while there is still heat in the parts, this can crack the rust that is gluing it all together. A half inch breaker bar is also pretty essential when dismanteling large nuts and bolts, anything over M10for example. If you don't have a gas axe then a decent angle grinder will get something cut out or off to give some space.

If that was a decent socket set you should take the ratchet back and demand a replacement as the ratchet should break before the square!

Caber

NeilP

posted on 27/9/07 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Breaker bar - Any tool factors - £10 - sorted...

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

ecosse

posted on 27/9/07 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
A big breaker bar with a tube on the end.
I've done it a few times (x300 tho) and they are a pain but will come out with the right persuasion
As far as I remember the full axle should then drop out with the A frame, undo both outside mountings, the prop and shocks and it will land on the deck

The wishbones will also be a prob as said, but if you drop the full thing you can get a grinder into it, presuming you don't need them that is

Have fun

Cheers

Alex

BenB

posted on 27/9/07 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
I quite like a breaker bar and a lump hammer.
Obvisouly make sure whatever you're tw@ting is secure and isn't going to fall off onto your foot. Put as much force on the breaker bar as you can with one arm then twonk the the breaker bar about half way down..... Should give enough extra oomph to free it up....

But otherwise an impact driver usually does the job. You can get up to 200 ft/lb off one of those jobbies....

iank

posted on 27/9/07 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
If you're not planning to reuse the nut and have enough access the old farmers trick is to use a cold chisel and lump hammer to knock them round and start them off - poor man's impact wrench. I've done this with nuts I couldn't shift with a breaker and extension tube and a few good hits got them off a treat (mini hub nuts)

Eye protection mandatory obviously.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

NS Dev

posted on 27/9/07 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev

If so......good luck!!!

Thanks, that makes me feel much better. If i cant get it out this weekend im just going to kck the bloody car and do some ebaying
The problem is that the car is more rust than anything else

Sorry, didn't mean to cause more concern!!

Its just that I have triad and failed to get Jag rear ends apart a few times now, and whilst I hear the rest of the recommendations, I already have a decent air impact wrench, many cold chisels etc, and none have worked!

I have also hole sawed the rear of the boot floor to get access to wichbone bolts that still wouldn't budge, and basically had to give up on them and hope the mot man didn't see the knackered bushes!

Get a 9" grinder and chop the whole rear end out would be my solution, or hire a plasma cutter for a weekend, it'll save a lot of grief!!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Simon

posted on 27/9/07 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
Speedy,

Just wanna make sure you saw my post about the weight of the Jag IRS - make sure you are NOT under it when gravity takes over!

ATB

Simon

speedyxjs

posted on 28/9/07 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
My only thought has to be, what (or if you like - WTF) is your reason for using a Jag back axle ?

Maybe on a big old heavy bus like a Cobra, but in a Locost ?

I apologise if I'm missing something obvious.

Firstly, its a locost, so im using as much as possible from my donor
Secondly, the amount of power im planning to put through her, jag diff sounds loke a really good idea
Thirdly, just brought a breaker bar so can have a go at the weekend.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.