Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Funny heating with my MKII Golf
James

posted on 15/10/03 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
Funny heating with my MKII Golf

I wonder if someone who knows a little more about these things than me (ie. everyone!) could help me with my MKII Golf please?

I've noticed it recently with the cold mornings now that I've got the warm air blower on.

A) It doesn't seem to get as warm as it used to. (Is this just me getting old) Bear in mind I do a 15mile, 35minute journey so it should have a chance to warm up!

and (more confusingly!)
B)When I slow the car down for lights/traffic etc. the warm air turns cold!

I wondered if it was an air lock at first so I spent awhile running it with the filler cap off and tried squeezing all the pipes to remove the lock with no appreciable effect.

Not really sure what else to try.

Thanks for any advice!

James

theconrodkid

posted on 15/10/03 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
first one sounds like thermostat,try some silver foil on the grille,second sounds like water pump impeller not doing its job,bring it round the garage,special offer £100 /hour,october only

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

nick205

posted on 15/10/03 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
James,

MkII Golfs had a VW recall on heater matrix/blower units. There is a fault which causes the unit to leak and empty the contents of the cooling system into the passenger footwell - dirty and smelly!

I have owned/looked after 3 mkII's:
1. Late J reg; never had a problem.
2. C reg; leaked and was repaired free by VW 2 years ago, much to my amusement and the VW garages annoyance!
3. B reg; leaked, but was repaired by me as I didn't know of the recall.

However the problem sounds more like the cooling system may need draining and flushing to restore full efficiency.
Not sure about the cooler air when stationary though, seems odd I'll agree!

Alternatives include an extra jumper, gloves, hat, scarf etc!

HTH

Nick

JoelP

posted on 15/10/03 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
cold air at lights theory: idling water pump doesnt move enough hot water, so it cools down. like turning a shower up.

if i fin dmy air getting cold i turn the fan down to 1, gives it more chance to warm the matrix.

anyway HTH!

chrisg

posted on 15/10/03 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
It's haunted - sell it.

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

James

posted on 15/4/04 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
Well, you'll all be pleased to know that last month I finally sorted the problem!

Nick was the closest!

As he said, all Golf's were recalled as they had an issue with the matrix's dumping hot water over the occupants Hicost style. The fix that VW implemented was fitting a pressure relief valve in the system.

It seems that these valves don't last more than 10 years so they're failing. I was reading an old copy of The Golf magazine and it mentioned the problem and that replacing the valve would fix it.

Mate had a spare kicking round so it was a true Locost fix!

Thanks for advice everyone.

James

[Edited on 16/4/04 by James]

Peteff

posted on 15/4/04 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Own up now!!

You had the exorcist in didn't you, all this talk of valves and stuff is just a cover up. On a similar note my niece came round to see if I could get her car heater working as it had packed up. THE RADIATOR WAS BONE DRY.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.