Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MOT after SVA AARGH!
caber

posted on 17/1/08 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
MOT after SVA AARGH!

I have just received a letter fro the local DVLA in Edinburgh asking me to go to Livingston VOSA for a vehicle inspection to check the VIN. The letter also says I need to get an MOT! Having searched through the posts I have found a lot of contradictory information. does anyone have any specific document I should refer the inspector to to clarify that this is not required?

TIA

Caber

Howlor

posted on 17/1/08 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
How long ago did you SVA the car?

bigrich

posted on 17/1/08 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
about 10 days ago according to the mac in his avatar

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

Howlor

posted on 17/1/08 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigrich
about 10 days ago according to the mac in his avatar

Whos the observant one tnite!

zxrlocost

posted on 17/1/08 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
dvla sent total kit car a letter

its on there website

no MOT for three years

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Howlor

posted on 17/1/08 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
I was told when I taxed mine after the SVA that I could not tax it for 12 months as I had to have an MOT after 6 months!

I think they make it up as they go along. Hope you get it sorted.

Steve

Simon

posted on 17/1/08 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Again, I took my DVLA RFL reminder to Maidstone DVLA to tax my car, and pointed out their delightful computer said I needed an MOT which was crap.

She agreed, said it was a bug as car has Q plate. Took my money and that was that.

SEE here from DVLA site:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Mot/DG_4022112

"When your vehicle needs testing
If a vehicle is registered with no prior use on the road, the MOT will be required three years after the date of registration. For example, a vehicle registered ‘from new’ on 1 April 2004 will require its MOT no later than 1 April 2007.

If a vehicle is used prior to registration, as would be the case with an import, the MOT will be required three years from the end of the year of manufacture. For example a vehicle manufactured at any time in 2004 will require an MOT no later than 31 December 2007. There is no grace period given after these dates."

ATB

Simon

TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 17/1/08 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Good luck hope you get it sorted. And good luck for the final of theLocostbuilders drag race

bigrich

posted on 17/1/08 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
even the dvla site makes no mention of an mot for the pupose of registration

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/RegisteringAVehicle/DG_10014246

and it has been said Howler" i have eyes like a sh1t house rat"

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

caber

posted on 17/1/08 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
I can't find the letter on the total kit car website, it looks like they updated it in December. I have sent an email to the inspector referring to the DVLA website, I will keep you all updated!

Caber

BenB

posted on 17/1/08 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
I played it this way- I suggested (by letter) that it was the general consensus that MOT was not required after SVA. Then I asked them to tell me what an MOT would be looking at that an SVA test would not have shown up. I suggested to them that if they could not tell me what an MOT would look at that SVA wouldn't, it was clearly unreasonable to make me get an MOT when it is generally considered to be superfluous.

IE I merely suggested they were wrong, asked them to prove my argument was incorrect (which would make them do some work), and gave them a get out clause (ie back-tracking)- which of course they took.....

As usual DVLA are lazy not obstructive. Shortly after that letter they decided an MOT wasn't needed.

Now of course there are some things that MOT does look at that SVA doesn't but we won't go in to that.....

If it's any help I can send you a copy of the letter they sent me confirming that Q plates don't need an MOT for the first 3 years....

Shamrock GS

posted on 17/1/08 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
I put mine through the Edinburgh branch and nothing was said about an MOT. I taxed it for a year with no problems. The guy who came out to check the car before the SVA said I wouldn't need an MOT for 3 years once it passed.

Obviously depends on who does the paperwork.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Mal

posted on 18/1/08 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
You Don't Need a Post SVA MOT

My car was registered on a Q plate after SVA and it did not need an MOT.
In anticipation of this possible problem I asked the SVA tester for his advice and he told me to get the local office to contact the Policy Dept at Swansea for guidance.
I have also not needed an MOT to re-tax the car after this first year.

HTH

Mal

02GF74

posted on 18/1/08 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Then I asked them to tell me what an MOT would be looking at that an SVA test would not have shown up. I suggested to them that if they could not tell me what an MOT would look at that SVA wouldn't, it was clearly unreasonable to make me get an MOT when it is generally considered to be superfluous.

You are very lucky I don't work at the DVLAOSA place as I would have had your a55 roasted on a rack in no time.

Tyre tread is the answer. It is well known by everyone that SVA look at tyre speed rating but do not examine tread so you can still pass SVA with a set of baldies; not so for MOT. There are others but I am too lazy to research.

So there!!

caber

posted on 21/1/08 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Two phone calls from DVLA today both insisting on MOT but only if it is on a Q plate. They say if I get my back axle re-manufactured to new they will give me an age related plate based on the engine and gearbox donor!

Anyone know who can do me a quick job on re-manufacturing a capri Axle?

Caber

Macbeast

posted on 21/1/08 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Rather than remanufacture, wouldn't it be easier to get an MOT?

Or would that spoil the fun ?

caber

posted on 22/1/08 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
RESULT!

I got a call first thing this morning from DVLA . with profuse apologies. Apparently the rules were changed in 2004 so that cars with SVA do not need MOT however the training manuals were not correctly updated so in these the MOT is still required. It seems that they always refer to training manuals as they do so few Kit Car registrations so until Swansea bother to issue corrections or offices mark up their own manuals this will continue!

Now waiting for call from inspector to get car signed off and plates issued

Caber

John Bonnett

posted on 23/1/08 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
Good result Caber. Really irritating for you that these people don't know their own rules. You must have the patience of a Saint.

Do hope all goes well from now on and that you will be on the road by the weekend (if you want to!!)

atb

John

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.