Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: rubber selant ring for In-tank fuel pump
saigonij

posted on 21/2/08 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
rubber selant ring for In-tank fuel pump

i have a mondeo fuel pump sitting in my ali field tank.

i need to find a rubber gasket seal for it ( the original one will not work as its part of a much bigger mounting ).

i need to find a rubber ring - petrol resistant that is 95mm IO, and 115mm od. ( basically like a very large tap washer ).

OR, i can use some sort of sealant ?

any suggestions?

Hammerhead

posted on 21/2/08 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
how about cutting a sheet of rubber to shape? I have some thats about 3mm thick if you get stuck.

twybrow

posted on 21/2/08 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
Rubber is not fuel resistant. It swells up and breaks up. I have used cork floor tiles and it seems to work ok for me.

saigonij

posted on 21/2/08 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
found some Nitrile rubber, which says...

One new strip of Nitrile rubber 1 meter long x 160mm wide x 1.5mm thick. Excellent for general sealing applications/gasket making etc, as it is resistant to most mineral oils, hydrocarbons, fuels, water and a wide range of chemicals. Temperature range -20°C to +115°C

not bad for £8 inc postage.

BenB

posted on 21/2/08 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
Some rubber is fuel-proof, some isn't.

The self-sealing rubber fuel tanks used in WW2 relied on this fact. The inner layer was made from fuel-proof rubber, the outer layer was made from rubber which swelled when in contact with petrol. If a bullet pierced the tank the outer layer self-sealed the tank to an extent (obviously not if it was a tracer round ).

westcost1

posted on 21/2/08 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
a place near my work makes rubber seals for all sorts of things they have rubber on a big real that is fuel resistant i made some seals for my fuel filler caded up a drawing then traces it onto the rubber then cut it out with scissors and used a hole punch to make the holes for fixing through. company is called des they do nuts and bolts as well in fleet
westcost1

posted on 21/2/08 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.delindustrial.co.uk/

sorry its del this is there web sight nice people will send some out to you for a few £

RazMan

posted on 21/2/08 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
Why not use petrol proof gasket compound? I used it on my tank sender panel and it hasn't leaked yet.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mookaloid

posted on 21/2/08 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
Whatever you do don't use silicone gasket......

How do I know this?

well I can tell you that a tiny sliver about the size of a fingernail can swell up enough to completely block your filter, your fuel pump all the pipes etc etc and i's a bu**er to get back out of your tank - err so I've heard

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.