Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: tuning turbo diesels
ned

posted on 30/10/03 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
tuning turbo diesels

I'm looking into tuning a turbo diesel engine, I've done lots of searches and discovered that adjusting the fuel pump and waste gate on the turbo can get about a 20bhp performance increase on my peugeot/citroen 1.9td unit. (90->110bhp) note this is an older mechanical fuel injeciton engine, not an electronically controlled injection engine that can simply be chipped.

Anyone got any knowledge/experience of this sort of thing? I've posted about this on a different forum, though they don't appear to be being very heplful.

cheers,

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
timf

posted on 30/10/03 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
wtfwywt
ned

posted on 30/10/03 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
because i can. and hopefully it'll be locost.

Ned.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ben_Copeland

posted on 30/10/03 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
Whats the point... it's only gonna use more fuel.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

ned

posted on 30/10/03 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
if you're not going to be helpful, don't bother posting on my thread.

Ned.

timf

posted on 30/10/03 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
in all honesty ned its not worth doing,

hurry up your build and use that instead

ned

posted on 30/10/03 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
well, i'm kind of in a lul with the locost due to bits needing machining and my machinist (who has the bits) just becoming a father. the weather is poo, I have no space (can't work outdoors anymore) welders is still broke and can't really afford to buy too many more bits this side of christmas.

i need something to keep me occupied. and i though a 20bhp increase in my everyday car in a form that won't affect insurance was a good avenue to look into..

Ned.

locoboy

posted on 30/10/03 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
Here here Ned,

(from one oil burner to another)

ATB
Locoboy

ned

posted on 30/10/03 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
[sniff] thanks col [/sniff]

Ned.

Simon

posted on 30/10/03 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Ned,

Though I despise oil burners, if you've got one and want to make it quicker, do it!

I remember a few years ago about mods being done to a TD Range Rover.

IIRC, the boost was increased, and the intercooler replaced with a larger one.

Net results (of which I can't remember details) were very good. Including better MPG!!!!!

ATB

Simon

JoelP

posted on 30/10/03 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
IIRC you can add a bit of petrol into the tank to make it a bit livelier. not sure though.
Simon

posted on 30/10/03 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
So will methanol.

Briefly

ATB

Simon

nick205

posted on 30/10/03 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Ned,

I assume the "other" forum was the Peugeot Sport Club forum?

If so I expect your thread quickly degenerated into undecipherable garbage about who has the smallest ****?

You could have a look at the DERV DOCTOR to see what's available for your car. Not locost, but will give you some ideas of where to start.

Also have a look at ALLARD TURBO SPORT which has some useful articles on turbo charging and boost pressure changes etc.

Tuning diesels seems like a worthwhile hobby to me as you can get decent results for little outlay - good luck to you!

HTH

Nick

ned

posted on 31/10/03 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
Nick,

thanks for the info. I have seen the derv doctors site, couldn't find any direct help, though did find this site if anyone is interested and has a 1.9td pug/citroen unit:
http://www.streetrace.co.uk/DTurboTune.htm

Guess I'll keep searching....

Ned.

ChrisW

posted on 31/10/03 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
Ned

Van Aaken are the guys for this. It's pricey at about £300 but you get a new actuator, fuel regulator and a remapped ECU. Apparently 20bhp increase on the 1.9 is about average but you could probably turn the boost up a little more if you're not worried about it going pop

Chris

My gaff my rules

mackie

posted on 31/10/03 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
Has anyone driven a bmw 330d or 530d?
It's supposed to be a cracking engine and many mags say it's the engine to have, even better than the 3l petrol.
Having the same amount of torque as an M5 doesn't hurt either. I think they have about 204bhp, more with chipping.
Seriously considering stretching to a 2nd hand 530d for my next car, not sure about insurance though.

ned

posted on 31/10/03 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
we towed one of our racecars in its trailer (angle iron construction trailer,not light) behind a 530d, the torque is amazing, it did pull very well.

Ned.

auzziejim

posted on 1/11/03 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
funnily enough i was given the brief priveledge of driving a 6 month old 330d. to say its quick is a huge understatement. even told the owner if his engine is stolen one night not to look in my garage! that would be one immense locost, and a diesel does it come much better?

Cheers

James

andyps

posted on 1/11/03 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
The usual thing with a turbo engine is to allow more boost before the wastegate opens up - you can often do this by "bleeding" off some air from the wastegate actuator pipe, either through putting some holes in it, or by including something like a fish tank air regulator which has tow outputs - connect one to the wastegate and the other to atmosphere and then adjust the controls until it the boost is higher.

I don't know how the plumbing on the Pug/Cit engine works but this could be worth a try. I would agree with the "because I can" comment. I have a Rover 800 Vitesse which can develop up to 220bhp (40bhp increase) through this method and having just had a decent gearbox fitted will probbly be doing this.

Hope it works - bhp for free has to be good

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

Viper

posted on 1/11/03 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
IIRC you can add a bit of petrol into the tank to make it a bit livelier. not sure though.

If you put petrol in your diesel, even a smal amount will bleep up your injectors for good.
So not a good idea, Ford now do a 16 valve diesel, that goes well.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.