Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Electric Delivery Van
jobsagooden

posted on 29/2/08 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
Electric Delivery Van

Hi all

I've done a search and not surprisingly have come up with nothing on this.

I'm looking into getting an electric delivery / collection vehicle for the business as a marketing gimmick in order to show that we are being enviromentally pro-active. (I know all the ups and downs of this argument it's what people perceive that matters).

Anyway I thought the most sensible option would be to build from a kit but can't seem to find anything sensible out there has anybody seen anything like this or got any sensible suggestions fo a design or conversion of current production vehicle.

All views appreciated

Cheers
PJ

balidey

posted on 29/2/08 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
My mate works for these people.....

http://www.modeczev.com/uk/

smart51

posted on 29/2/08 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
I looked at making an EV when I was planning my current build but couldn’t find a locost source of motors and controllers. pmlflightlink make the ideal wheel motor, Perfect for every application, it’s just that there isn’t enough money in the world to buy a complete set.

You could get on to your local dairy and buy an old milk float, or perhaps convert an electric fork lift. Neither vehicle are known for their speed.

Mr Whippy

posted on 29/2/08 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by balidey
My mate works for these people.....

http://www.modeczev.com/uk/

that looks a really good one and I like this bit -

zero road tax, zero operator licence and, where applicable, zero congestion charge

a big incentive

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
fatfranky

posted on 29/2/08 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Not strictly relevant but an old mate of mine is in to Vauxhalls/Bedfords, his current daily driver is a Bedford CF that he's put a 6 cyl senator engine running on LPG.

This CF started life as an electric version and he commented that the rear brakes were "upside down" then he realised that electric CFs had the axle reversed with the input shaft facing the back of the van, the motor was then coupled to this with the batteries slung beneath the load floor of the van.

Perhaps you could utilise this layout on a modified production van

Heres a link to the brochure for the electric CF

http://www.bedford-cf.co.uk/br/br29.htm

Another mate works for a company that used to build milk float type vehicles and now build an electric transit, don'yt know the layout of it but heres a link

http://www.smithelectricvehicles.com/products.asp?p=Edison

Finally, wasn't Bob C off this site building an electric Reliant Kitten or something, drop him a line I think he works in control systems for this type of vehicle.

Hope this helps

Taylor R1

posted on 29/2/08 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
Electric van

Have a look at this on ebay.

Ex police £64k to build

Although might be a bit big!

speedyxjs

posted on 29/2/08 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
5500kg gross weight and does 30mph he thinks. No wonder its only done 3000 miles. No one wanted to drive it

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 29/2/08 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
What about that French van that runs on compressed air.......Stick that up red kens RS...

Mr Whippy

posted on 29/2/08 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop
What about that French van that runs on compressed air.......Stick that up red kens RS...

Concidering the weight of a filled gas cylinder you might as well carry batterys

saying that, what about frozen air, surely that would have much more stored energy for its weight. The evaporate gas could then be passed through a solar heat exhanger before reaching the 'engine'.

[Edited on 29/2/08 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Richard Quinn

posted on 29/2/08 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
Would this be exempt from congestion charging?
Link

Seems to have a mappable ECU too! - "Tuning of the performance to the mission is also possible"

iank

posted on 29/2/08 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
My car works by oxidation of a mixture of alkanes, cycloalkanes, and asphaltenes. Surely that must qualify as green.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Mr Whippy

posted on 29/2/08 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Quinn
Would this be exempt from congestion charging?
Link

Seems to have a mappable ECU too! - "Tuning of the performance to the mission is also possible"

Get this book, it's extremely good

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Project-Orion-Spaceship-1957-1965-Penguin/dp/0140277323

novacaine

posted on 29/2/08 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
there was me thinking this post was going to be an ingenious method of distributing electricity replacing the national grid and getting rid of those damned pylons

maybe one day....

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but its sinking, Racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but your older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.