Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Alfa 156
kenton

posted on 24/3/08 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Alfa 156

Hi,
Im looking to replace my tin top this week and the only cars i like at the moment are the audi A3 and alfas.
A low mileage a3 is more than i want to spend and as i would like to be able to tow the luego/other things i was looking at a 156 (2l veloce)
Are alfas as bad as their reputation or have they improved?
kenton

eznfrank

posted on 24/3/08 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
I've had a 145 2.0 cloverleaf for 3 years and never had much bother with it and just replaced in the last few days with a 147 2.0 TS. Love Alfa's.

My mate however has had a 156 with a selespeed box in their garage for 3 months due to problems with the flappy paddles not talking to the box properly?

kenton

posted on 24/3/08 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
Yes ive heard they can be trouble and expensive to fix so would stick to standard manual gearbox.
kenton

speedyxjs

posted on 24/3/08 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
DONT get an A3. My neighbor has one and is having LOADS of problems with it, plus alfas are SOOOO nice to looks at

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Worzey

posted on 24/3/08 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
I had the same problem, loved the Alfa's looks and the way it drove but they are placed in the bottom of the Top Gear surveys for good reason.

I went for the A3 2.0 TDI DSG S-Line and its by way and away the best tin-top I have ever owned.

Caterham R400

Coose

posted on 24/3/08 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Owelly had a Selespeed 156 and it was great apart from the box, which caused no-end of bother! Nice idea, but get a manual.....

Spin 'er off Well...

paddler20

posted on 24/3/08 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
Just putting the engine back in a 156 Selespeed after it ran a big end at 58k...

Gearbox yet to go t*ts up....

andrew.carwithen

posted on 24/3/08 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
I've had my 156 2.0TS for about 3 months now and I absolutely love it.
They have a reputation for being troublesome but then, provided yo do your homework and follow a few golden rules then you should be able to pick a good 'un. (Haven't had any probs with mine so far)
For starters, only get a car with a full documented service history.
Check on whether its had a cambelt change or not. Originally, Alfa stated it should be changed every 72000 miles or 3 years but have revised that to every 36000 miles. They are prone to failure if left any longer which will not only result in bent valves etc. but also premature big end failure due to shock of valves hitting pistons!
Expect to pay around £400 to £500 for a cambelt, pulleys, tensioner, balance belt and variator change at your local Alfa Independent garage. (useful to know when negotiating a price!)
They are also known to use oil - mine doesn't (Alfa handbook states 1litre per 1000km is perfectly normal) so oil level needs to be checked weekly. Again, if allowed to drop below minimum level, engine is likely to go pop!
Selespeed gearbox can be unreliable so probably best to choose one with a manual box.
The secret to Alfa ownership is to maintain the car regularly between services and you will be rewarded with a car which IMHO not only looks beautiful with a gorgeous interior but is an absolute pleasure to drive! AND is not one of your everyday mundane sterile euroboxes (I still grin every time I drive it.)

[Edited on 24/3/08 by andrew.carwithen]

mookaloid

posted on 24/3/08 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
I loved my GT

I towed the indy and my caravan with it no bother....

Cheers

Mark

silver alfa
silver alfa

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Schrodinger

posted on 24/3/08 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
I had a 2002 156 1.8 Lusso (leather interior for that year) as a company car an had it for 4 years and did 66k in it the only problem I had with it was realy the main dealer being a bit of a shyster charging for drop links and then when they needed replacing later denying that he had done them. I did have the variator pack up on mine but it did not cause any damage it just made a rattling noise but another main agent gave me a loan car while he fixed it under warranty.

I would have another one tomorrow but I don't get a company car now and my wife likes the Saab.

Keith
Aviemore

adithorp

posted on 24/3/08 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
"Every true petrol head should own an Alfa once" J.Clarkson

I had a 2.5 V6 156 sportwagon for 2 years. Loved it (then got rid before I hated it). Can't beat the sound track in a tunnel. Loads of little niggles (rattle in the roof lining, fusebox lid won't stay on, etc) but only big stuff was an injestor failed and the lambda sensor went tits up. Don't get a selespeed though.

adrian

Marcus

posted on 25/3/08 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
As said above, a well looked after Alfa is the only option IMHO. I've got a 2002 156 2.0TS Veloce, love it to bits and I've had it 18 months now.
Unfortunately it is off the road at the mo with a very rattly variator (i think!!). Cambelt was changed 10k miles ago and looks like it'll have another next week!

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
martyn_16v

posted on 25/3/08 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andrew.carwithen
They are also known to use oil - mine doesn't (Alfa handbook states 1litre per 1000km is perfectly normal) so oil level needs to be checked weekly. Again, if allowed to drop below minimum level, engine is likely to go pop!

Check weekly? You're living dangerously there, i'd say hourly more like. At the rate mine uses oil it'll quite happily go from full to 'there go the big ends again' in under a week.

Unsuprisingly mine is also off the road right now, and in fact has been for the best part of the last year for various reasons (one of which was the mrs not checking the oil for about 6 days...). Currently it's p1ssing water into the passenger compartment every time I turn right. It also has run the full gamut of electrical problems you'd expect from an Alfa, all the way from the dash randomly telling you that bulbs have failed to a complete ECU failure.

Still, on the one day that it actually worked it was quite nice to drive...

[Edited on 25/3/08 by martyn_16v]

kenton

posted on 25/3/08 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
Well went and did it today........
Bought a 156 on an 01 plate with 47k miles. FSH with cam belt change at 36k.
Of course its red!
thanks for the replies
kenton

darrens

posted on 26/3/08 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kenton
Well went and did it today........
Bought a 156 on an 01 plate with 47k miles. FSH with cam belt change at 36k.
Of course its red!
thanks for the replies
kenton

Absolutely Bonza!!, I bought n 02 156 about 3 months ago, of course it's red as well, loving it. Was gonna say try n get post 2002 as they changed the interior. Excellent to drive, not bad on juice either.

andrew.carwithen

posted on 26/3/08 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
Well done, Kenton.
Are you aware of the following forum http://alfaowner.com ?
Very, very useful concerning all things Alfa. (You realise, of course, that you've now got to give the 'Alfa wave' to every other owner you meet on the road!!)
Oh, and by the way, the best colour to have is silver with the red Momo leather interior!

[Edited on 26/3/08 by andrew.carwithen]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.