Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: towing BEC kitcar with A-frame.
kitcarcollection

posted on 29/4/08 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
towing BEC kitcar with A-frame.

anyone experience towing bike engined kitcars with an a-frame for larger distances? Would it be better to let the engine run idle during towing or would the gears / bearings take sufficient "spalsh" oil anyway?

Dutch kitcarcollection.

Dangle_kt

posted on 29/4/08 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
should be fine in neutral with the engine off.

I imagine there will be a few posts on the way about how its not allowed etc. with an a frame unless its recovery.

I'm not sure on the rules - but someone will put you straight soon.

Jubal

posted on 29/4/08 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
I've seen the argument that it's not allowed as an A frame or dolly is supposed to be used to tow the vehicle to a place of safety. But I had another look after seeing this post and found this on the website of a place that does A frames...

quote:
When attached with a fixed towing frame the car is considered to be a trailer and is subject to trailer regulations covered by the official Construction and Use Regulations. A number of EEC Directives apply to U.K. trailer regulations. A car on tow with a fixed towing device is defined as a steerable multi-axle trailer. The “trailer” should carry the registration
number of the towing vehicle and also red reflective triangles.

Hellfire

posted on 29/4/08 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
You can tow a maximum of 750kg with an unbraked trailer but you cannot exceed half the kerb weight of the towing vehicle.

I reckon it would be quite legal to tow, assuming that the total weight of BEC and A frame doesn't exceed 750kg or exceed half the kerb weight of the towing vehicle.

Phil

smart51

posted on 29/4/08 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
Even in neutral, the rear wheels would turn the prop, would turn the output shaft of the gearbox. With the engine stopped, there would be no oil pumped to the gearbox. You'd be allright at first as there'd be a bit of oil on all the parts but as the teeth wipe each other, the oil would slowly wipe off.
owelly

posted on 29/4/08 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
I've had much interest in the use of A-frames and, apart from 'recovery use only' clause, they are illegal. The towed vehicle becomes a trailer and trailers have to have specific 'reversing' brakes. Even though a trailer doesn't need to have brakes below 750kg, if they are fitted to a trailer, they must comply. It is possible to fit overun brakes from an A-frame to the brake pedal of the towed vehicle but they are the cars brakes and not trailer specific.
Of course folks who are selling A-frames will tell you they are legal because they are selling them. Some would say that the use of them is a grey area and the chances of the BiB knowing any different makes it OK to use them.
You decide. I know the (il)legalities of them and I still use mine!!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dangle_kt

posted on 29/4/08 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
where would that leave you if someone crashed into you and wrote of the 7? Would their insurance squirm out of it?

quote:
Originally posted by owelly
I've had much interest in the use of A-frames and, apart from 'recovery use only' clause, they are illegal. The towed vehicle becomes a trailer and trailers have to have specific 'reversing' brakes. Even though a trailer doesn't need to have brakes below 750kg, if they are fitted to a trailer, they must comply. It is possible to fit overun brakes from an A-frame to the brake pedal of the towed vehicle but they are the cars brakes and not trailer specific.
Of course folks who are selling A-frames will tell you they are legal because they are selling them. Some would say that the use of them is a grey area and the chances of the BiB knowing any different makes it OK to use them.
You decide. I know the (il)legalities of them and I still use mine!!

owelly

posted on 29/4/08 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
It would leave you firmly up crit sheek. And if the plod got hold of it, you could be in big bother.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dave1888

posted on 29/4/08 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
Ask Macspeedy he towed his MK with a pinto in it on an A frame. Mango used the A frame to tow his MK with bike engine.

Canada EH!

posted on 29/4/08 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
towing BEC kitcar with A-frame

I don't know about British Regs, but we towed a 105E Anglia to Mosport and Harewood Acres in Ontario Canada. Mosport 50 miles one way, Harewood 100 miles one way. This was done for a season of racing without difficulty, and the Anglia diff had welded spider gears. The driveshaft was never disconnected. A manual transmission rear shaft should throw enough oil about to protect the innards. Automatic transmissions built since the mid 50's don't have a rear pump which will cause damage. My problem would be building a strong enough section in the front of the frame without adding undue weight.
kitcarcollection

posted on 29/4/08 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
This topic was not ment for the legal or illegal status of a-frames.
The question was how to use them for BEC cars without causing damage to the gears.

[Edited on 29/4/08 by kitcarcollection]

Dutch kitcarcollection.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.