Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: M/Way Drivers Beware
jonti

posted on 3/12/03 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
M/Way Drivers Beware

I'm sure there are some who will chuckle at my misfortune but a word to all of you who traverse the motorways of this green and pleasant land !

But particularly beware if you go north of Manchester and you drive anything that is, or looks, expensive.

My 'day' car is an (old) Merc E280 and whilst on my way to Scotland in August on a clear road in good conditions I was 'clocked' and photo'd by a sneaky B*st*rd of a plod on an M/Way bridge at Carlisle doing 96mph...(should have bloody well seen him then I hear you say).....
I did or the number would have been somewhat higher...
Anyway, even if it was sneaky.... "fair cop" I thought but...... guess what the learned magistrates at Penrith have decided is fitting punishment for this heinous crime.....

£500 fine!!!!!......plus £35 costs !!!!!!.......PLUS five yes bloody FIVE penalty points !!!!

I think I'll convert to Burglary or mugging, the penalties are not so harsh !

BL**DY B*ST*RD S*DD*N EFFIN S*NSAB*TCHES !!!!!!

There.......I feel better now

OFROK

Mark H

posted on 3/12/03 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear that mate. Sounds a bit friggin harsh.

Just another nail in the govts coffin, for when total rebellion starts.

Mark Harrison and
Q986 KCP back from the dead...

Ben_Copeland

posted on 3/12/03 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
Ouch... harse !!! Bastards !!!!! guess they didn't like you.

Annoys me when they come up with imaginary on the spot amounts..

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

JoelP

posted on 3/12/03 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
on the bright side, 5 points is much better than 6 cos another 6 isnt a ban. It is a shitter though. I got 6 points for 105 over 2 miles.

ps on the m62 between manc and liverpool there are always cops on bridges with speeders a few yards later to pull ya. i dont even bother speeding beyond manchester, they've been there every time i go to liverpool...

[Edited on 3/12/03 by JoelP]

DaveFJ

posted on 3/12/03 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
You were lucky Joel - over 100 is supposed to be an automatic ban....

I got done 11 years ago for 110 on the A303, when it went to court 6 months later my wife was due to drop at any moment so they let me keep my licence - however I got a £220 fine plus £30 costs and 6 points - and that was 11 years ago when I was earning MUCH less, maybe you weren't so hard done by ?

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

JoelP

posted on 3/12/03 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
yeah, was a fair cop for me i guess, IIRC a light snow was falling, and i was flashing people out of the way. Bad driving i guess. Had to do a retest anyway as i had had my license for less than two years back then, and 6 points within two years is a retest.

life goes on i guess. clear road for jonti, they should've been more leniant.

a mate got a 28 day ban for 117, which is preferable in my books.

timf

posted on 3/12/03 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by protofj
You were lucky Joel - over 100 is supposed to be an automatic ban....

they changed it to 92mph 3 yrs ago

i got done 2 weeks after for 102 on the a14, letter from boss got me £350 fine and 14 day disqual. 10 days of which i was out of the country on bussiness

no points but licence says SPD which the insurance companies love

Simon

posted on 3/12/03 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
In 1985/6, I was going to see a friend at Manchester Uni. Being skint, and in a hire car (1.6 Cavalier), I was being very careful - sticking to about 55 to conserve fuel.

I got so bored, I missed the M6 (HOW???).

Decided I'd get a move on (to Sheffield then turn left), so floored it.

Was doing an indicated 117, when I saw the flashing lights. Mr P/man was driving a MkII Granda 2.8i, and the first thing he said was - "We had trouble catching you". My first thought was - "Not buying one of them then".

Anyway, after a little debate - which was conducted in quite a friendly manner, he said "I'll put you down at 100"

Thanks, I said.

£60 fine
£9 costs
3 points

Result

ATB

Simon

jonti

posted on 3/12/03 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
You were lucky Joel - over 100 is supposed to be an automatic ban........

Yes that's true and notwithstanding the insurance hike, I've always thought a short ban is better than nursing lots of points with the potential for a six month ban if you crack 12

quote:
I got done 11 years ago for 110 on the A303, when it went to court 6 months later my wife was due to drop at any moment so they let me keep my licence - however I got a £220 fine plus £30 costs and 6 points - and that was 11 years ago when I was earning MUCH less, maybe you weren't so hard done by ?

Mmmm....yes , must admit I was expecting about £200-£300 as I got £100 for a similar offence on the Northampton bit of the M1 about 15 years ago. (never did like Northampton).but, like you, then I was earning about a quarter of what I earn now so its all relative I suppose. Perhaps it wasn't the Merc's fault after all

Might delete my Douglas Bader quote, it doesn't always apply !!!!

[Edited on 3/12/03 by jonti]

OFROK

splitrivet

posted on 3/12/03 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
Just the amount of fine you dont need coming up to crimbo.
Seems like theres no consistancy with fines on the motorway I spose a lot of it depends on where you get nabbed.
Some time ago I got done doing 55 MPH in a van on the Chelmsford bypass to all intents and purposes a motorway. The company car I usually drove was in dock and the only thing they could hire me was this van I had no idea there was a 50 MPH limit on vans (which as far as Im aware is still in force) and lost my licence for 6 months under totting up which consequently put me out of work and onto the jam roll.So it could have been worse mate,thats how youve got to look at it I spose.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

stephen_gusterson

posted on 3/12/03 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
I was done 18 years ago for 102 in a 70. made up a story of getting back to see my 18 day old son from an exteneded, unexpected, trip to france. got 60 quid fine. lucky that.

On the other hand, I did get off a 71 in a 60 zone 3 years back. they couldnt touch me. got no points and no fine for speeding.

The secret? refuse to sign the NIP form. Downside is I got 180 quid fine and 3 points. bad plan. What really shagged my defence was getting done for 48 in a 30 2 months after, which blew my 'good citizen, clean license, wasnt me - its a co car with someone else driving', into the weeds.

If you are in ANY doubt that you are gonna get screwed GO TO THE COURT and explain yourself. However far away it is. That way they get to see you are an ordinary guy, you get to grovel, and they get to see that you are sorry and not a speed mad ba%^tard flouting the law (regardless of the facts!). Find out how much a solicitor is. Not as much as loosing a license. I had one on the 102 speeding thing, and it helps. They can see you are serious and understand what you have done. The letter from the employer thing also helps.

The difference between a rubber stamped guilty by letter plea and a well turned out be-suited, grovelling apology to a bunch of magistrates could save you pounds, points and license.....

atb

steve

who will be points free in Jan if he can make it that far

David Jenkins

posted on 3/12/03 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately for each mph over the limit you pay around 10 times as much on motorways than you would on ordinary roads.

This always seems daft to me, as going too fast on an A-road must be far more dangerous than on a motorway.

(must stop looking for logic in motoring regulations)

David

mackie

posted on 3/12/03 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
That's pretty harsh. I got done for doing 65 down a 40 outside norwich in the middle of the night (it's a very wide, un built up A road) by a police car. I was actually doing around 45 but then this car loomed up behind me, I thought it was a taxi tailgaiting and put my foot down. Then I realised norwich taxi's don't have the blobs on the roof. Then I saw the lights. Bastards. He said he actually clocked me doing 72 but wrote it down as 65, thus saving me a court appearance and more points, so I got away with 3 and the minimum fine. Hohum.

I had no idea you could get an automatic ban for doing > 92mph, and I thought it was just an automatic court appearance...

theconrodkid

posted on 3/12/03 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
i got done for 125 on the A40 in a sunbeam tiger,went to court to contest it and won (on a technicality)sent them a solicitors letter intending to sue for loss of earnings,they THREATENED me,so my boss told me to back down n swallow it

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

DaveFJ

posted on 3/12/03 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
Fortunately after my big fine and 6 points my insurance conmpany said that speeding on a motorway was a technical offence and didn't load my premium at all

You think we are hard done by? I was caught by a camera on a motorway in holland, I was only doing 5Kmh over the limit and yet my fine was the equivalet of £280 with the threat of crushing my car for non payment! - If the police stop you out there they can impound your car on the spot and leave you at the side of the motorway if you don't have the funds to hand ! - (happened to loads of squaddies travelling to germany)

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

Peteff

posted on 3/12/03 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
A friend of mine got done last year, 42 in a 30 then this year 96 in a 50 resulting in a 3 week ban and a couple of hundred fine and costs. No points for the second one though. Never heard of a speed limit on vans only on towing vehicles which still applies to anything pulling a trailer. Not sure if they are allowed to use the third lane on the motorway as artics aren't supposed to.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

jonti

posted on 3/12/03 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
The difference between a rubber stamped guilty by letter plea and a well turned out be-suited, grovelling apology to a bunch of magistrates could save you pounds, points and license.....

I absolutely agree with you Steve ( there now, that surprised you didn't it ?)....and, if I'd have had ANY inkling that they'd be such B*st*rds, Ida been up there in me best whistle and licked the bloody floor for 'em................I spoke to a local magistrate friend of mine today and she says in North Staffs this would have attracted about £300 plus 3 points, so it looks like the Penrith Chapter of Her Majesty's Finest are a bit on the intolerent side..........

OFROK

kingr

posted on 3/12/03 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
There's not a rule that 92 or more is a ban - I got caught doing 96 down a dual carriageway (note, not motorway so SP50 offence for "other/unclassified", and got £60 and 3 points despite being young and having a couple of mates in the car. I really thank my lucky stars for that one, I know it could have been far harsher. I suspect it was because it was a lovely sunny day, and the BiB was in a good mood.

Kingr

stephen_gusterson

posted on 3/12/03 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
it had to happen sometime

sorry that you got such a big fine - in northants is a daily risk as we have every known means of catching speeders from 7 camera vans to a 2 mile stretch of a43 with SPECS cameras looking at average speed!

problem with a short sharp ban, is that if you ever get another one, its a year. normally, first ban at tottoing up is 6 months, second is 12 months. So, im assuming a shortie is the first bite of the cherry.

BTW Jonti - you could appeal - depends on how lucky you feel......perhaps a talk to a solicitor in the area to find out the lie of the land might work?

atb

steve

quote:
Originally posted by jonti

I absolutely agree with you Steve ( there now, that surprised you didn't it ?)....and, if I'd have had ANY inkling that they'd be such B*st*rds, Ida been up there in me best whistle and licked the bloody floor for 'em................I spoke to a local magistrate friend of mine today and she says in North Staffs this would have attracted about £300 plus 3 points, so it looks like the Penrith Chapter of Her Majesty's Finest are a bit on the intolerent side..........

jonti

posted on 3/12/03 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kingr
There's not a rule that 92 or more is a ban -
Kingr

I was always under the impression that there used to be ( or may still be) a 'rule' that more the 30mph over the posted limit was an automatic ban. This would fit with over a ton on M/Way and Petef's mate getting banned for over 90 in a 50 when I just got me big fine and five points for 96 on an M/Way

In truth though. I don't think that is the rule ..... in fact I dont think there are any rules only guidelines. It all depends upon the beak on the day.

Final point and word to the wise from me....

I'm over 50 not a boy racer (well not all the time !! ) I've been clean for a long time and I thought I presented my written plea in an articulate, apologetic and polite fashion. I did not expect to be treated so harshly for what I considered a minor (first for a very long time) offence.

However, lesson learned: Heed the wise words of el Gusto.....Pitch up and grovel, it might make a difference.

[Edited on 3/12/03 by jonti]

OFROK

chrisg

posted on 3/12/03 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
I once passed a police car at an indicated 130mph on the M62.

He was cruising at 69.9mph between two lorries and I was racing a b@st@rd in a BMW.

Saw him much too late, his fairy lights went on and I kept going, he couldn't get out for the BM so I'd got a half a mile on him, he pulled the BMW and I went off at the next exit and drove v.....e.......r.......y slowly back to Sheffield. He couldn't have got my number or I would have been nicked.

If only you could out pace a revenue camera.

This was when I was young and foolish BTW

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

stephen_gusterson

posted on 3/12/03 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
in that situation id always thought of saying

'n - it wasnt me - did you see that maniac flying down the road just now in a car just like mine'.

If you left their sight, how could they not know if you hadnt been poodling along all day in the slow lane and they just made a mistaken identity.

but, as its you Chris, they would just thow the book at ya - you musta been doing something wrong sometimes.

atb

judge gusto

chrisg

posted on 3/12/03 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

robinbastd

posted on 3/12/03 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
Totally inappropriate,but.................I have some clockwork masturbating policemen for sale........£3.99 +P&P. Legal to hold to your ear whilst driving.
Ian

Only a dead fish swims with the tide.

http://smuttygifts.com/

kingr

posted on 4/12/03 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
Go on, post a pic, you know you want to.

Kingr

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.