Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: hitting a deer at 60mph
ned

posted on 5/12/03 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
hitting a deer at 60mph

my dad did this to his car this morning (with the help of a deer). not as bad as I was expecting when i read his email.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/users/ned/deer_crash/

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ben_Copeland

posted on 5/12/03 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
He was lucky... it looks like a glancing blow rather than full on body weight collision...
I've seen them push the cars front, half way up the bonnet !!

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Deckman001

posted on 5/12/03 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
Let 'us know how it tastes, I havn't tried venison yet

Jason

David Jenkins

posted on 5/12/03 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
My neighbour's son had a head-on collision with a deer at that sort of speed - totalled the car, plus a visit to the hospital.
The deer wasn't in very good shape either...

DJ

ned

posted on 5/12/03 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
not sure the deer will fit in the back of the corsa (courtesy car) they're giving him, that assuming no one else has taken it already.

3 holes in the radiator, probably antlers or hooves through the grill, smashed headlight, grills, plastic trim, bonnet out of alignment....

Ned.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hugh Paterson

posted on 5/12/03 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
ouch

Ned, could be worse if your out in Alberta Canada when u hire a motorhome or Car they advise u to take out Moose insurance, they DO right of whole motorhomes occasionally, Dont know how they taste though
Shug.

ned

posted on 5/12/03 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
I had some venison last christmas time, very nice actually. texture like liver, quite a deep rich flavour i'd say.

Ned.

Mark H

posted on 5/12/03 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
<anorak on>

As the law stands, if you kill a deer, you can't pick it up to eat it, coz that would be poaching. You get more years inside than if you murder an old lady. Probably.

The car behind you however, if he so desired, could take it home, as its carrion.

Who ever said the laws an ass?!

Mark Harrison and
Q986 KCP back from the dead...

GO

posted on 5/12/03 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
I was expecting much more carnage than that, and much more blood too!! Kinda cool how its splattered everywhere tho.

A fox made much more damage to my car a few months back - front wing was almost rubbing the tyre, and I had a fox pelt front grill!!

Was pretty grim.

What was worse tho was when I was in Montana. Weak constitutions please dont read any further...

Apparently they dont have an official speed limit (apart from for trucks), something like 'due care' is the phrase they use, which equates to about 80mph according to the locals.

So, there was me, touching 110, when suddenly, right in front of my brothers face, appears a huge blob of blood - just about human head size. Scared the shite out of my bro!! Pulled up at the next service station and much to the disgust of the fellow customers began the process of wiping all the blood off the windscreen. Then I noticed the inch thick layer of bugs welded to the front bumper and lights (wondered why they seemed so dim!). As I'm cleaning all that off I spotted more blood on the corner of the bonnet. What had happened was a bird had played chicken, and lost, messily! It hit the fron corner of the bonnet, exploded and all the blood and guts etc bounced off the screen!! Lovely.

timf

posted on 5/12/03 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
me and mrs hit a moose in new england
when on hols. they do tend to make a mess of the car, and would highly recommend the extra insurance as mooted by steveg et all, if not you have to stump up for repairs or worse

Tim

stephen_gusterson

posted on 5/12/03 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
where does your dad live to see a deer? I have only ever seen one in northamptonshire!

In scandinavia, hitting a wild animal is often a catastrophic event. You are basically hitting something as heavy, or heaier, than a small car and launching it at your windscreen. A fair few people die that way

A few years back, when the DTM was still on and Dario Franchitti was in it, there was a race (silverstone?) in which a hare ran out and he hit it. It just exploded.

now the gory, dont read if you are sensitive bit.

There is a video clip somewhere on the net of a F1 accident in the late 70s.

A welsh driver was killed in an F1 race when a marshall ran out in front of him. The extingusher the marshall was carrying impacted Tom Pryce, killing him instantly (apparently the car continued down the straight, overtaking until it hit a bend). The marshall, who was hit by the car, was kinda lifted off his feet, appeared to be snapped in half like a rag doll, spun several times , then hit the ground.

I was wondering if the twat that walked on the track in this years silverstone race had ever seen that vid.....

atb

steve

[Edited on 5/12/03 by stephen_gusterson]

timf

posted on 5/12/03 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark H
<anorak on>

As the law stands, if you kill a deer, you can't pick it up to eat it, coz that would be poaching. The car behind you however, if he so desired, could take it home, as its carrion.

all wild deer and swans in gb belong to the queen and the rules say even if it is dead its theft against the crown

ned

posted on 5/12/03 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Steve,

It happened around this area: http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=512006&y=137835&z=3&sv=512006,137835&st=4&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf on his way to work at reigate (top right of map page). I once drove to the station from my parents, saw 3 deer, 2 foxes, numerous rabbits and a badger.

I know about the picking up of the deer to eat being counted as poaching, that's why i wondered if it'd still be there on the way home, he could pick it up legallythen i recon.

Ned.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 5/12/03 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
do you have a gps ref for that ned

so thats where forest green is ! they play against my home town Barnet in the Conference league

atb

steve

JoelP

posted on 5/12/03 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned
my dad did this to his....

Ned.

f**k me, i scan read that as my dad died this.....

mangogroove

posted on 5/12/03 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
That marshall who killed tom pryce

That was at the old KYALAMI in South Africa. It was the fire equipment that he was running with. I was at that GP when I was a lot younger.
History over Back to car building

ed_crouch

posted on 5/12/03 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
OUCH!

Bad luck, chap. Hope he wasnt hurt. Still, the Skodas are a pretty tough car these days (VAG influence and all that).

I had some bloke in a Citroen xsara hit my (Audi A4 avant) up the back in traffic from about 20mph. Mmm, towbars. Nice. totally f***ed the xsara: inner wings knackered etc. My car needed a new tailgate, bumper, and one light cluster. Not even any glass broken / ripply boot floor or any of it.

A mate of mine who was in the car when it happened went out and bought one a week later.

Ive got to admit, these days VAG make VERY strong cars... Bloody krauts.

Ed.

Deckman001

posted on 5/12/03 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Just downloaded that clip, Wish i hadn't now
Not for the faint hearted !!

Jason

chrisg

posted on 5/12/03 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Oh Deer!

(Christ, you lads are getting slow)

cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

stephen_gusterson

posted on 5/12/03 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
my son downloaded it once. I thought someone might look it up tho

http://www.formula1news.it/dati/video.htm

lots of bad crashes - dont look if you are easily upset.

atb

steve

quote:
Originally posted by Deckman001

Jason

[Edited on 5/12/03 by stephen_gusterson]

stephen_gusterson

posted on 5/12/03 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
the only old deers round here are likely to damage your car much more....its when you hit the shopping trolley I think - and the dentures can puncture your tyres.

sick I know, but I wanted to beat someone to i

atb

steve

JoelP

posted on 5/12/03 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Deckman001

Jason

fu***me, your not wrong there. I feel sick as a dog...

trust me all, not worth the morbidity no matter how curious this makes you...

at least that crap hopefully wont happen again..

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.