Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Getting away with it
skippad

posted on 5/12/03 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
Getting away with it

Has anybody out there got away with not paying a speeding fine?.
My wife got done by a mobile camera hiding in some bushes about 30mtrs away from 60mph sign doing 35mph in my car.
Are you allowed to "gather up speed" to a higher speed limit?
A couple of days later the same guy was hiding in said bushes in the DARK i stopped and watched and a LOT of drivers were getting clocked.
At this rate most people are going to lose there licence/freedom/job

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stephen_gusterson

posted on 5/12/03 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
35 is pretty low cos normally they dont prosecute unless you are doing 36.

My wife got caught doing 36 in a 30 but was offered a course (half a day) and still had to pay the 60 quid, but didnt get the points. However your area has to have the courses (obvious!) and they offer it (you cant ask).

As I have said recently, i got off a speeding fine. refused to fill the form in. they slapped a 180 quid 'failing to give info' on me with 3 points instead.

you are stuffed. remember to vote for labour next time too.....

Interesting item in the news today.

the governent have decided to appoint a manager in every hospital whos job is.......to make sure the place is clean and hygenic.

SAY FRIGGIN WHAT????????

You mean of all the over managed dept the NHS is said to have SOMEONE doesnt have to make sure the place is clean?

5,000 people a year die in hospital - not cos of their illness, but because of catching something in hospital.

Put another way.....

5,000 die in dirty hospitals

3,500 die on roads, and speed cams are hoped to reduce this by 40%.

Come the revolution.......

atb

che steve

[Edited on 5/12/03 by stephen_gusterson]

Hellfire

posted on 6/12/03 at 12:09 AM Reply With Quote
Using the same strategy - I'm sure that under private contractor services - sooner or later there will be a "dirt device" which could be used within hospitals and proceeds unexpectedly to 'sniffout' dirty hospitals which will issue 20,000 "filth-tickets" per day.

The machines could be allowed to roam - and be brighly coloured to allow said managers to clean up quick. Or, the contractor could use the snooper devices which run faster and operate without warning catching the unsuspecting manager issuing with an 'on-the-spot' "filth ticket"

I'm sure Mr Dyson is already reading this and designing a machine capable of reliable manufacture therefore allowing the chinese to continue to work long hours for a bowl of rice/week, instead of allowing british manufacturing to survive.

Not that I'm biased - you understand!

Peteff

posted on 6/12/03 at 12:30 AM Reply With Quote
Are you allowed to "gather up speed" to a higher speed limit?

You are not supposed to accelerate until you are out of the lower limit. I was constantly reminded of this by a bike instructor. It's hard not to when you have driven for 30 years though.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 6/12/03 at 01:25 AM Reply With Quote
yes.

i noticed that profiteering as%^ole moved manufacturing to china.

i suppose hoovers being 100 quid and a dyson being 225 or so must be such a price squeeeze for him.

id lick the floor clean than buy a dyson!

atb

steve

quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
Using the same strategy - I'm sure that under private contractor services - sooner or later there will be a "dirt device" which could be used within hospitals and proceeds unexpectedly to 'sniffout' dirty hospitals which will issue 20,000 "filth-tickets" per day.

The machines could be allowed to roam - and be brighly coloured to allow said managers to clean up quick. Or, the contractor could use the snooper devices which run faster and operate without warning catching the unsuspecting manager issuing with an 'on-the-spot' "filth ticket"

I'm sure Mr Dyson is already reading this and designing a machine capable of reliable manufacture therefore allowing the chinese to continue to work long hours for a bowl of rice/week, instead of allowing british manufacturing to survive.

Not that I'm biased - you understand!

Hugh Paterson

posted on 6/12/03 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
Wasnt there a case last year when a woman down South, on advice from her lawyer refused to confirm that she was the driver of a speeding vehicle. Under European Law, she was entiitled NOT to incriminate herself by filling in and returning the form stating who was driving the vehicle
Shug.

skippad

posted on 6/12/03 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
If i refused to name my wife as driver of car, won't i get prosecuted for withholding information? Or will they just they just do me being the owner anyway?
Whats really really annoying is that some of the scumbags around here are getting away with £50 fines for driving with NO licence, insurance, mot, drunk, drugged up etc,etc.
As somebody else said "Come the revolution"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 6/12/03 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hugh Paterson
Wasnt there a case last year when a woman down South, on advice from her lawyer refused to confirm that she was the driver of a speeding vehicle. Under European Law, she was entiitled NOT to incriminate herself by filling in and returning the form stating who was driving the vehicle
Shug.

that loophole got shut, it only counts as incriminating if they mention a crime, i think they just ask who was driving nowadays, or if they do mention an offence they just prosecute the registered keeper if he wont spill the beans.

Hugh Paterson

posted on 6/12/03 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Must try and find out what the situation is in Scotland, some of our laws differ slightly from South of the Border, be nice if we took a different view up here somehow I doubt it.
Shug.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 6/12/03 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
beleive me

I have the points on my license to prove

THAT YOU WILL GET SHAFTED

if you dont fill the form in.

I sent it back 4 times saying I wouldnt fill it in.

they ended up sending 2 coppers to my place of work who threatened to arrest me if I didnt agree to interview of 1 1/2 hrs in the cop car in the car park.

I was told that filling in form was not incriminating - it was merely asking for details on who drove. If you dont know who drove, then as reg keeper they treat you as guilty.

common law doesnt apply in motoring cases like this.

unless you ahve a lot of money to try and find a loop hole, forget it.

3 points and 60 quid is light.

If you lose, and they feel spitefull, they can fine up to 2,000

you are caught.

trust me, I fought and lost.

atb

steve

[Edited on 6/12/03 by stephen_gusterson]

Peteff

posted on 7/12/03 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
There was a case earlier this year where a form was returned filled in but not signed at the bottom which rendered it invalid. This was the loophole as the recipient could not be forced to sign the bottom line as it could be incriminating. There was to be legislation to cover this but I never heard of it going any further.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 7/12/03 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
yes Pete - I saw that one too.

However, it was a famous footballer who took the case to appeal.

What I think you would see in reality is they would send the form back to you asking for a signature (which I think someone posted on here.)

The magistrates I think are still likely to convict without the signature, and you would then be left with an appeal.

Thats gonna cost considerable money and effort, and we are not high paid footie stars.

And at the end of the day, its a technicality.

Not signing the form may be seen as not providing information and there is a heavier fine, and 3 points for that.

The only reason I can see to play the system is if you were caught doing ballistic speeds. summat like 110 miles and hr or whatever will get a ban and a big fine and many points. If you dont fill the form in, the most points is three - but you might get a spiteful fine. As you didnt fill in the form, they dont have anything to prove you were driving - unless they have a pic of the driver as well as the plate. Get a pic from the camera if you are even thinking about trying to beat it - not signing the form and the bench has a pic of you behind the wheel is really gonna get their goat.

But i think the case here is a low speed offence, and fighting it can ger nasty in terms of expense. I know, I was that soldier.

An appeals court is likely to see it like that.

The camera caught the individual at the speed, and the law, good or bad, was broken.

[Edited on 7/12/03 by stephen_gusterson]

DrEagle

posted on 7/12/03 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
It really gets to me the police were all over Peterborough today trying to make their xmas targets, pullin frustraited drivers who got a little excited after being stuck in a queue for hours. Like the police have nothing better to do for gods sake.

Check out this page for some links.

My friend filled in the form and didnt sign it and that worked. The next time she over paid by a penny and that messed up the system and the points didnt appear.

There is also something about calibration, you can ask for the daily calibration record that the police can rairly produce and you can argue that their readings are out. and it the location was by a radar you can use that to your advantage, but im not an expert.

http://www.oilypages.com//links.asp?page=speeding

Never be afraid to try something new!
Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark with no budget,
where as a large group of professionals spent millions building the Titanic!

stephen_gusterson

posted on 8/12/03 at 12:00 AM Reply With Quote
its been said on here recently the overpayment thing gets you a threatening letter.....and in any cas I doubt if they send your license back until its sorted - if the system gets stuck, do they send your hard copy license back - suspect not.....

I also asked the police for calibration records. they refused. they told me that they didnt have to show them.

just bear in mind that magistrates hear that crap all the time...i dont recon asking for cal certificates cuts any mustard at all

atb

steve

JoelP

posted on 8/12/03 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
saying they dont have to show them is a bit snide, surely they have to prove the device was accurate?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.