Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: More M/Way Cameras..these are nasty
jonti

posted on 8/12/03 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
More M/Way Cameras..these are nasty

Got this in a mail from a mate of mine in Brum this morning......there is a body of opinion that it may be spoof but.....if its true, its a real worry...

Spread the word amyway...

We have been told that new electronic signs on the M6 were switched on
this Tuesday. The bad news is that they are rigged with the SPECS speed
cameras. This probably applies to all the new signs being installed on
the M62, M60 and M56. SPECS is a computer-camera based system. As you go
past the sign a digital camera reads your number plate. When you go past
the next sign your number plate is read again. The computer 'knows' how
far apart the signs are so it can work out your average speed between
the two, or three or four. The system is fully automatic and will issue
a ticket without any form of human intervention. It does this for every
single vehicle that passes. You will not know you have been caught as
the cameras don't flash. They work 24/7, 365 days a year, and
theoretically, there's absolutely no limit on the number of tickets that
the system can issue.

The whole section of the M6 between Knutsford and Preston is wired, both
ways. The system is set to trigger a ticket at 78MPH. (Don't take this
as a
guarantee)
Radar detectors will be of no use as SPECS is entirely passive, there is
no laser beam to detect.

Be warned and spread the news!

[Edited on 8/12/03 by jonti]

OFROK

Peteff

posted on 8/12/03 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
http://ukgatso1.fxsonet.com/select.php?county=BIRMINGHAM
Are these the ones? Do they still get you if you stop for a breather in between them or could you do 90 half way and 25 the rest. I agree with speed limits where they are needed in towns and the like but motorways should be raised to 90 for the ones who use them are in a hurry.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Hugh Paterson

posted on 8/12/03 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
Oh the system exists alright, but God only knows where they intend to site them, road safety my ass, revenue generation more like. You wont want to know this but the trials for this system (or similar)were carried out at a variety of race tracks around the country as long ago as 1992, as well as proving the system it was being demonstrated to lots of councillors and senior police/traffic officers, so u could say they took their time installing it.
Shug.

[Edited on 8/12/03 by Hugh Paterson]

stephen_gusterson

posted on 8/12/03 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
we have specs cams on a 2 mile section of the a43 in weston favell northampton. they ae really obvious cameras painted yellow on top of big blue poles in the centre reservation. the bit that isnt obvious is that they work on average speed between points, so if you slow and speed up past them you are still shagged.

we had an email like this circulated at work the other day.

Also, a few months ago there was a similar scare about the M4 which was proven to be a hoax.

If this is real, then according to the safety cam partnership counties - of which I think most in central england are part of - then the cams must be marked and painted yellow. stealth cams in motorway signs wouldnt meet this requirement.

a good source of reality is the association of british drivers web site.

www.abd.org.uk

these people are often interviewed by media when they want an anti speed camera point of view. I dont see anything about the cams on their site yet - just a diclaimer on the m4 ones.

atb

steve

[Edited on 8/12/03 by stephen_gusterson]

JoelP

posted on 8/12/03 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
madness having cameras on the Mways, only time they're needed is thru road works. On at the end of the M62 as it enters liverpool is 200 yards before the 50 zone, i nearly went thru it sideway recently as i was changing lanes when i saw it and only had a few yards to lose 15mph. absolute madness...
tr

posted on 8/12/03 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
I've a feeling this is another hoax. I've been driving down the M6 from preston to the M58 junction and back eveyday for the past fortnight, and I've seen no cameras and heard nothing so far... No sign of the cameras either. The SPECS system usually has bright yellow cameras, mounted on big blue yellow posts. And all the locations seem to be listed here

As far as I know, they read read you're number plate, whiz it in a database and compare distance and time to get speed. When the system was set up on the M62 roadworks I thought about scaming them by getting a couple of cars to follow in convoy with the same plates on. See if I got a ticket for reversing at over 100Mph.....

I doubt they'd set the trigger to 78mph either, becuase there would be no one left with a licences to use the M6 after a month.

I'm working in Liverpool for the next week, and I'll be travelling down there at the same speed as everyone else does, so I'll let you know if I get ticketed

Tom

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 8/12/03 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
only one thing for it lads, get an impreza, change the plates every week. whilst your at it you may as well save on tax and insurance as well...
theconrodkid

posted on 8/12/03 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
they have these things in france,when you get to the toll booths if you have been speeding and on british plates they shoot you

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

jonti

posted on 9/12/03 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
I doubt they'd set the trigger to 78mph either, becuase there would be no one left with a licences to use the M6 after a month.

Mmnmm......praps this is phase two of the plan to clear the congestion at Walsall then.....dyer think ?

Sounds from what you guys are saying that this may be aother spoof then.....but given my recent luck I'll steer clear of the M6 for a bit I think

OFROK

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.