Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Driving through France a warning
splitrivet

posted on 24/7/08 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Driving through France a warning

Off to the gaff in France this weekend for a week (still up for grabs info here http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=92582&page=&contribmessage=none
)
Spoke to a mate over their on the telling bone tonight theres a new law that came into force on July 1st that you must carry a high vis vest/jacket and a reflective triangle the high vis must be accessible for the driver.
The French plod are checking for these also they are cracking down on speeding over the holiday period with on the spot fines.

Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 24/7/08 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
You need a spare set of lamps as well......
You can get all the gear at Tesco for much cheepness. Ps dont for get the beam deflectors.

The cheapest ferry was the norfolk line dover to dunkirk

tesco lamp kit

[Edited on 25-7-08 by mangogrooveworkshop]

smart51

posted on 24/7/08 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
It is either France or Germany, you have to keep the high vis jacket in a place that can be reached without getting out of the car. In the boot is not good enough. If they attend a brake down and you're in the car without, they'll ask you to put it on. Get out of the car without and you're done.
DarrenW

posted on 24/7/08 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
I cant disagree with that law. For several reasons motorists have it easy in UK. Its only the taxes that make it expensive. At least we can build and modify cars.

Simon

posted on 24/7/08 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
T'was in the paper last week re the hi vis's.

£100 on the spot. Strangely enough, only one comany in the UK makes them to the correct standard, and I don't doubt that there's a few MP's with shares

Watch out for cameras over there too, though they are great big ugly grey boxes and warnings 100m away!

ATB

Simon

NigeEss

posted on 24/7/08 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the warning Bob, of to the Loire in a few weeks time, I'll be prepared
Jon Ison

posted on 24/7/08 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
I cant disagree with that law. For several reasons motorists have it easy in UK. Its only the taxes that make it expensive. At least we can build and modify cars.

Check out the fuel prices over there, not as cheap as they once was, diesel about the same, not bought any petrol over there, guess euro plays a part but that much ?

splitrivet

posted on 24/7/08 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
You've gotta be pretty dumb to be caught on a French fixed speed camera as Simon says theres a warning about 100 metres in front of em, its the mobile ones with a gendarme with a radar gun that are the buggers to spot, normally about one klick away from the fixed one to catch you just as you are speeding up.
Good ting about the French if traffic coming the other way spots them they'll flash a warning. Just how it used to be over here.

Be careful on the Autoroutes as well, the cops wait by the pay kiosk, they look at the time on your entry ticket and at the time on the exit ticket and work out your average speed, there you go sir, no cash we'll accompany you to the nearest hole in the wall.
Cheers,
Bob

SteveWalker

posted on 24/7/08 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
I've not quite worked out why if it's so dangerous to get out of a car without a hi-vis vest, cyclists and pedestrians aren't required to wear them at all times!
major

posted on 25/7/08 at 05:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
I've not quite worked out why if it's so dangerous to get out of a car without a hi-vis vest, cyclists and pedestrians aren't required to wear them at all times!

you don't see them a lot walking down the interstate!

MikeCapon

posted on 25/7/08 at 06:52 AM Reply With Quote
Hi all,
I should have clicked that many of you come over here in the summer and warned you about this subject. Here's some detail for you.

These jackets are for sale over here in most supermarkets. I bought this one at Intermarche. If you can't find them in UK then stop at the first big super market. Also sold by Norauto and Roady (like 1980s Halfords)

Here's the jacket. As said must be kept in the car itself, not the boot and you need two per car.

jacket
jacket

A close up of the label showing the homologation detail

label
label

The homologation paper

homologation
homologation

And lastly the labal off the ones I bought at Intermarche

package
package

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeCapon

posted on 25/7/08 at 06:54 AM Reply With Quote
Oh yeah,

Sorry I forgot the price. These cost me €1.90 each. About £1.60.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
vinny1275

posted on 25/7/08 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the tip! off for a long weekend over the august bank hols, will see if I can get a couple before we go....

Cheers

vince

Mr Whippy

posted on 25/7/08 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
cheers, never notice the requirement, sounds a good idea to adopt here to TBH.

I only use my motorbike with a high viz jacket (looks like a police one), although I doubt it is as 'cool' as a black leather one I'd rather be seen in it, than a body bag. I also have a rucksack made of the same material, actually quite had to get.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 25/7/08 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon

Watch out for cameras over there too, though they are great big ugly grey boxes and warnings 100m away!

ATB

Simon

The locals call them RADARS ####

We havent had any letters through the door yet as a few of the rusty romers got flashed
I just waved at the boys when we passed their speedtrap and they waved back....and I was well over the tomtom posted limit.

Agriv8

posted on 25/7/08 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
There is a question mark about the needing one for each occupant but from talking to people ... trying to reason with the french police does not happen so I have one for me and the Mrs and the will be under the pasenger seat with the spare bulbs ect ect.

Oh dont forget the beam deflectors as I heard they were having a clamp down on these as well

regards

AGriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

AndyGT

posted on 25/7/08 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
Apparently the law is enforceable now but are only warning/making aware drivers of the law. From October there will be on the spot fines! So just make sure you have the lamp deflectors installed and you should be fine and next year the high-vis jackets. Of course there is no harm having these in the car anyway...

As for cyclists, they are obliged to wear these high-vis jackets as from October too.

nothing is impossible
everything is possible

splitrivet

posted on 25/7/08 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
After having a run in with the French police take it from me for a couple of quid I'd be more inclined to have the jacket. Each officer has his own take on the law if he decides your fined your fined.
Cheers,
Bob

clairetoo

posted on 25/7/08 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AndyGT

As for cyclists, they are obliged to wear these high-vis jackets as from October too.

That should kill off cycling as a leasure pursuit quite effectively............

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

rusty nuts

posted on 25/7/08 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
90% of the cyclists in this area don't bother with lights at night so hi vis jacket has no chance . One cyclist in particular will not be happy , he rides as nature intended!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.