Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engineering Websites
Mix

posted on 31/12/03 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
Engineering Websites

Good old Santa brought me a model engineering lathe for crimbo

I've been looking for an engineering type website along the lines of this one, does anyone have any suggestions.

(Keep it clean)

Cheers and Happy Hogmanay

Mick

Hugh Paterson

posted on 31/12/03 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
Mick, Happy hogmanay to u 2, have a nice one, I will
Shug.

Mark Allanson

posted on 31/12/03 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Good old Santa brought me socks - lucky bugger!!

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

JoelP

posted on 31/12/03 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
santa brought me a soldering kit!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

RoadkillUK

posted on 31/12/03 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
I got slippers, it's not a complaint as I find them much more comfortable than my boots

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Noodle

posted on 31/12/03 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RoadkillUK
I got slippers, it's not a complaint as I find them much more comfortable than my boots

Doesn't have quite the same ring to it does it: "Fill your slippers"?

Your sort make me sick

David Jenkins

posted on 31/12/03 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
Santa brought me a car dust cover (I'm fed up of finding the car covered in dust and leaves blown under the garage door, specially as it's nearly finished) and the promise of a crash helmet (as I'm not having a windscreen on my car).

rgds,

David

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 1/1/04 at 01:13 AM Reply With Quote
model engineering lathe

G'day Mix

I too have a model engineering lathe,

What model is it? I have an old lathe which appears to be a special, I am restoring it and reconditioning the slides and screws.

I got interested in building cars through model engineering and now I thumb through "the book" to see how many parts I can make on my lathe.

I have investigated the possiblity of using tube instead of rhs for the chassis, and invented/developed an apparatus for fish mouthing for use with a lathe! However I am yet to make make this tool as the lathe is not finished yet!

Mark Allanson

posted on 1/1/04 at 01:44 AM Reply With Quote
(I'm fed up of finding the car covered in dust and leaves blown under the garage door, specially as it's nearly finished)

Poor Bugger- I uncover my car when we have a dry day, then I have to bail it out, 1" of rusty water in the foot wells, condensation over everything - bloody depressing

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

David Jenkins

posted on 1/1/04 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
Poor Bugger

David

P.S. I was fortunate to buy an ex-school workshop lathe a couple of years ago - a Colchester Student 6" centre-height. Cost me £200, but then it cost £100 to transport it to my garage! My other lathe is a Zyto circa 1945, which cost me a massive £45...

The daft thing is the Colchester probably weighs as much as my Locost!

[Edited on 1/1/04 by David Jenkins]

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 1/1/04 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
my lathe is a similar size to the colchester
6 1/2" centre height, about 9 1/2" in the gap,

lathe is about 580 kgs, very early in the build so not sure if it lighter than the locost.

As a matter of interest what is the weight difference between a cortina hub and a sierra one?

Noodle

posted on 1/1/04 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
Poor Bugger

David

P.S. I was fortunate to buy an ex-school workshop lathe a couple of years ago - a Colchester Student 6" centre-height. Cost me £200, but then it cost £100 to transport it to my garage! My other lathe is a Zyto circa 1945, which cost me a massive £45...

The daft thing is the Colchester probably weighs as much as my Locost!

[Edited on 1/1/04 by David Jenkins]

Colchester Bantam, ex-school, £0 to buy £0 to transport. Cracking little machine. Now I've been offered a miller for free, just got to change the motor from 3ph to single and I'm off. (I've got a spare one)

Locost-ing at it's best

Your sort make me sick

Rorty

posted on 2/1/04 at 03:07 AM Reply With Quote
I had a Colchester student years ago. I was very lucky to get off with a suspended sentence!

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
paulf

posted on 4/1/04 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
There is a yahoo model engineering group but not much activity on it.
Have you searched for model engineering in Google? htere are loads of sites but model engineering covers a wide variety of subjects.
If you just want to learn about using it there are a few good model engineering books that cover setting up a work shop and using machinery. A good one is the amateurs lathe by laurence sparey if i remeber correctly.
Paul
quote:
Originally posted by Mix
I've been looking for an engineering type website along the lines of this one, does anyone have any suggestions.

(Keep it clean)

Cheers and Happy Hogmanay

Mick

MikeR

posted on 4/1/04 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
how much can you get a small lathe for? I'm not talking about something that weights 100's of kgs just something that could go on a work bench and turn small bits of steel / plastic etc?

(no I haven't a clue what i'm asking, I haven't touched a lathe since I was at high school 15 years ago)

David Jenkins

posted on 5/1/04 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
They're probably the most expensive second-hand lathes - it's the small ones that the model engineers want.

It's the big old dinosaurs, industrial size and probably 3-phase that go for a song.

David

MikeR

posted on 5/1/04 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
hmmm, typical, i've got a single garage with very little space - the one thing i can't fit in is a big old lathe.

My dad got an old one about 20 years ago. It was originally made is something like 1920. Runs like a dream, my only problem with it is all the markings are imperial! Oh, that and its a good 120 miles away.

timf

posted on 5/1/04 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
my only problem with it is all the markings are imperial!Oh, that and its a good 120 miles away.

surely you mean 193.12 km away if you dont like imperial measurements

MikeR

posted on 5/1/04 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
some times you just want to slap someone

yeah okay about 200km away.

paulf

posted on 5/1/04 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
[Mike keep ;ooling on Ebay and you may get lucky.
There was a drummond round bed lathe wich is a basic lathe from earlt 1900s that sold for about £50 recently. It needed a motor and some work but would be ok for a beginner.
As previously mentioned small lathes fetch a premium and sell very quickly.
I have a Raglan little john wich is halfway between model engineers and industrial lathes and it fits easily in a single garage size workshop.
You may pick something similiar up for about five or six hundred pounds with tooling.
The age of the machine doesnt matter as much as condition and imperial dials are no hardship once you are familiar with the machine.
Paul.
quote]Originally posted by MikeR
hmmm, typical, i've got a single garage with very little space - the one thing i can't fit in is a big old lathe.

My dad got an old one about 20 years ago. It was originally made is something like 1920. Runs like a dream, my only problem with it is all the markings are imperial! Oh, that and its a good 120 miles away.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.