Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Website rewrite and new address
David Jenkins

posted on 4/1/04 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Website rewrite and new address

Folks,

I have rewritten my website and moved to a new address - use the link below to get there.

There are some pictures of the car taken today, plus details of how I shortened my sump.

The old address on Virgin.net will now be allowed to become obsolete - I don't know how long it will remain up and running, as I'll shortly be putting my views about Virgin on the front page!

For info, my gripes with Virgin are:-
1. Insistance on using a credit/debit card for payment, but won't accept Switch (how many customers do Halifax and the Co-op bank alone have between them?)
2. £1 per minute for telephone support.
3. A 5-day turn-around for e-mail support.
4. A total refusal to give support for Linux users.

In contrast, PlusNet gave me:
1. Direct debit payment, with pay-as-you-go until it was set up.
2. Local call rate phone support
3. 5-HOUR turn-around for e-mail support.
4. Web pages describing how to set up Windoze of all varieties, Mac, and Linux.

I have never had such an easy set-up! Did what they said, and it worked straight off.

[soapbox mode off]

rgds,

David

pbura

posted on 4/1/04 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
David,

The new site works excellently, and I'm glad to see that you've retained your fine page on how to extend a shift linkage.

Your car's a beauty, too. There's much to be said for the classic mode (narrrower wheels, crossflow engine); it'll be a treat.

All the best,

Pete

Pete

David Jenkins

posted on 4/1/04 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Ta muchly, Pete!

I forgot another whinge about Virgin - if you subscribe to their pay-as-you-go service, you get random advertising pop-ups attached to your home page. B*st*rds!

rgds,

David

[Edited on 4/1/04 by David Jenkins]

RoadkillUK

posted on 6/1/04 at 03:08 AM Reply With Quote
I started out with Force9 (before it was plusnet), it was a friendly place, at least the Quake2 players were nice.
Was reeled in by their 1/2 price call charges with my telephone company. Then I got a cable modem

Hardly relevent but who cares

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisW

posted on 6/1/04 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
Remember you can always get a nice 'locostbuilders.co.uk' website from me for free!!

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flyingkiwi

posted on 6/1/04 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
just a couple of questions for ya (website looks good by the way) did you build your own wiring loom? and can you make me one of your gearshift things!

Only asked as I stupidly dismantled my wiring loom and have no idea about electronics and was wondering if you have a home built wiring diagram I could borrow.

As to the gearshift thing, I cannot use a lathe to save my life and was wondering how much it would cost if you made me one (if that was ok?) as it looks smart as.....

Cheers
Chris

(cheeky git)

It Runs!!!!! Bring on the SVA!

DaveFJ

posted on 6/1/04 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
HMM - was thinking on the same lines as Kiwi...

maybe you could do a quick run of the turned extension bars?

the rest of it is fairly simpkle metalwork skills

Cheers

A.N. Other cheeky git

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

David Jenkins

posted on 6/1/04 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
You'll be lucky - I can barely find time to finish my own car, without taking on 'outside work'!

As for the loom, I did do it all myself as that was one area where I had some idea about what I was doing (a lifetime in the telecoms industry helped).

There's a book that you may find very useful - I can't remember it's name, but I'll post details tonight. It was written by Ron Champion's motor technician at Oundle School. It was written for total beginners to kit car building, but even I found it very useful when trying to get my head around car wiring issues. It gives very clear guidance on the subject.

BTW: I don't suggest that you buy a copy - at least, not until you've read it - but you should be able to get it from your local library.

cheers,

David

Late update: The book is called

Car Builder's Manual
Lionel Baxter
(Haynes, ISBN 1 85960 646 6)

[Edited on 6/1/04 by David Jenkins]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.