Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: A bright light in the firmament (NOT!)
David Jenkins

posted on 9/1/04 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
A bright light in the firmament (NOT!)

Drove my wife to her friend's place last night, in a poorly-lit housing estate.

Driving along the road in the other direction was a plonker with no lights on, obviously using a mobile phone. I flashed my lights to warn him about his lack of lighting, and got 2 fingers in return!

Never a policeman around when you need one...

David

DaveFJ

posted on 9/1/04 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
Driving along last night minding my own buisness chatting on the phone as you do,,, then some bloke starts flashing his lights at me.... soon gave him the unversal sign of welcome......

(weren't me really)

Dave

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

David Jenkins

posted on 9/1/04 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
As the Japanese would say... "Pirrock!"

David

stephen_gusterson

posted on 9/1/04 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
perhaps the other driver already knew you David

atb

steve

David Jenkins

posted on 9/1/04 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
...but then he would have given me the 2 fingers before I flashed!

David

Peteff

posted on 9/1/04 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
I live next to a junction and noticed a drop in the number of people on the phone after the new law came in but it's creeping back up now. There are a lot of young lady drivers who seem to be the main culprits.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Alan B

posted on 9/1/04 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PeteffI live next to a junction and noticed a drop in the number of people on the phone after the new law came in but it's creeping back up now. There are a lot of young lady drivers who seem to be the main culprits.

yours, Pete.

Yeah, it is kind of irresponsible of me to advertise my giggolo/stud services on the radio during commute time...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 9/1/04 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
What amazes me is that when I was a newish driver ("when I were a lad..." to the tune of Dvorak's New World Symphony) if I tried driving around with faulty lights there was a huge risk of being pulled over by the law within 10 miles or so. I mentioned this to my kids, and they said almost the same thing, but only up until maybe 5 years ago.

Now, when I drive along unlit country lanes at 6:30 in the morning, I am amazed by the number of cars with a headlight gone. There's one car I've seen several times in the last couple of weeks who drives around with full headlights on, 'cos when he dips he's only got 1 front sidelight - on the nearside.

And don't mention the plonkers who drive around with their front fogs on, so everyone coming the other way gets their full benefit reflected up from the wet roads.

<rant mode off>

Angry of Suffolk

chrisg

posted on 9/1/04 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
The foglight thing is a £60/3points offence, you'd think the coppers would see it as easy money!

Personally I'd give the police a toffee hammer with which to smash the stupid knobheads foglights, and give them a lecture not to get them fixed until they know how to use them.

Then I'd hit them round the head with a baseball bat.........with nails in it.

It's a "baseball cap" thing

Cheers

Chris

[Edited on 9/1/04 by chrisg]

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

theconrodkid

posted on 9/1/04 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

JoelP

posted on 9/1/04 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
that foglight thing annoys me so much that i've considered following people home and snipping the wires later on. really cant stand the morons who think they're in a good car and as such, have to put the fogs on.

best time was in my omega, taxi man behind had his fogs on so i put my rears on, and drove with the brakes on slightly bang on 30 to wee him off. must've looked like a christmas tree with so many lights on the back! when he stuck full beam on i just wound up the leccy blind!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

macspeedy

posted on 9/1/04 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote

David Jenkins

posted on 9/1/04 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrisg
The foglight thing is a £60/3points offence, you'd think the coppers would see it as easy money!

Yes - I was puzzled about that - it only takes a while for the word to get around, once the fuzz start pulling people over for driving with fogs on. And they seem so keen to get the ready money in... perhaps it's because the police don't get the cash.

DJ

David Jenkins

posted on 9/1/04 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
that foglight thing annoys me so much that i've considered following people home and snipping the wires later on. really cant stand the morons who think they're in a good car and as such, have to put the fogs on.

Don't know what it's like elsewhere, but Ipswich suffers from what is known locally as the 'Gary Boys' - tarted-up bog standard saloons, pounding stereos, baseball caps on backwards.. you know... morons. (with grateful acknowledgment to 'Blazing Saddles' ).

The big laugh is, even a basic Locost could wipe the floor with them in a straight race (let alone a twisty race). And as for a 'busa Locost...

Personally, I will usually give them the benefit of my high beam, if I can do it without annoying any one else. (and I'm not likely to put them in a ditch - although that's a lesser concern ).

DJ

stephen_gusterson

posted on 9/1/04 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
probably cant afford new bulbs due to all the motor related fines

atb

steve

flyingkiwi

posted on 9/1/04 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
I find the bemmer drivers around here like to show off their angle eye's by driving with only the sidelamps on and their fogs. Muppets

Have taken to dishing back some foglight action when I come across these idiots. They soon switch them off when a set of high power 4x4 lamps zap em!

wankers

It Runs!!!!! Bring on the SVA!

chrisg

posted on 10/1/04 at 12:57 AM Reply With Quote
***PARENTAL ADVISORY***

This isn't legal, but someone I know drives a landrover with a roof rack on which has four strobes carefully aimed exactly where your eyes used to be before you dazzled him with your spots!!!

I ....erm...know somebody ..who helped him aim them in a scientific experiment.

I usually give them a face full of main beam, if as David says, it's not going to upset anyone else.

Everybody I know hates this, so who is it thats driving about with their fog lights on?

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Cheers

Chris

[Edited on 10/1/04 by chrisg]

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

stephen_gusterson

posted on 10/1/04 at 01:06 AM Reply With Quote
i have a beemer and havnt done that

got less than 2 months to try it

type 907

posted on 10/1/04 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
I thought I was the only one to get wound up about fog lights, obviously not.

Down the pub the other night I said "I'd like to carry a brick with me that I could toss out in front of them."

Somebody said,
"Wouldn't that seriously damage the car?"

"Of cause not, I'd open my window first"

Too much is just enough

RoadkillUK

posted on 10/1/04 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
I have to agree with you all, the fog lights are annoying. The other day I was going up this nicely lit road and around the corner come 3 cars with fog lights, a Punto, a Corsa and another Corsa. Had to slow down because I couldn't see the road ahead.

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 10/1/04 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by type 907

"Of cause not, I'd open my window first"

thekafer

posted on 10/1/04 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
"I feel your pain"....We get guys with the big off road monsters lit up like a Los Vegas strip..Friend of mine carries a camera flash unit in his glove box...Well they deserve it!!! b@st@rds!!!
Fletch

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy...

JoelP

posted on 11/1/04 at 02:21 AM Reply With Quote
i was considering wiring up a rear-window-full of bright red lights. either that or a 3.5m candle spot light!

useful for tailgaters too!!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Carl.H

posted on 11/1/04 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
The cops don't have time to catch dopy drivers, there to
busy nicking all those really ''dangerous'' people that go a
couple of mph above the speed limit

bunch of sh*t heads

Carl

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.