Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Blatent Shill bidder on Ebay.
ReMan

posted on 4/10/08 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
Blatent Shill bidder on Ebay.

Just bought an item from seller and at £10 +post is a good buy, its turned up and is spot on.

BUT... Looking at the bidding it was me and BIDDER 2 if it hadn't been for this bidder it would have been mine for 99p.

Check ot the bidder history and it's 100% bids against my seller.
look a bit harder at anything else that should make a bit of money and lo and behold the mystery bidder is in there.

Now it wouldn't be ureasomnable to be a favoritre seller and buy many similar things from one buyer, but these range from taostes to clotese s to spare parts for dishwashers! (my buy).

I thought about it for a while and reported it to ebay and I should have saved my keyboard for all the good its done. They won't tell you if any action is taken even.

Well , the seller has just mailed me to leave feedback!!!

So what do I do?
Leave an honest negative and alert others to my suspicion?
Bearing in mind I really don't want my 100% damaging with a retaliatory negative?

Nothing at all?

Something else?
What do we think?

(This was my item BTW 290261358025)
Off to the pub now to get some advice

RichardK

posted on 4/10/08 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
dont think sellers can leave neg feedback for buyers anymore

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
novacaine

posted on 4/10/08 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan

Leave an honest negative and alert others to my suspicion?
Bearing in mind I really don't want my 100% damaging with a retaliatory negative?

You cant get retaliatory feedback any more,

sellers cannot leave buyers bad feedback

Give him a slating !

EDIT -> damn too slow

[Edited on 4/10/08 by novacaine]

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but its sinking, Racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but your older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death

Paul TigerB6

posted on 4/10/08 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
If you are happy with the item and got it at a good price anyway, you probably have little to gain except a bit of satisfaction by slating him. Stupid ebay rules do indeed stop him giving negative feedback but he might try and get revenge by messing you about in another way.

I'd say probably best to let it go publicly - maybe report him to ebay privately (not that they'll do anything i'm sure as they made extra commission!!)

Surrey Dave

posted on 4/10/08 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote

You may be a bit naive thinking this does not go on all the time.

It doesn't matter as long as you stick to the price you wanted to pay and dont get drawn in to a bidding war , your happy with item so why worry.

There's not many super dooper bargains on Ebay , most things reach their market level more or less.

Alan B

posted on 4/10/08 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
As I see it soemone has something to sell and wants "x" as a minimum..they can either get someone to run up the bids on their behalf (which I think is what they mean by shill) to reach that minimum....or put a reserve on...both acheive the same in that you don't sell for less than you want.

In "real" auctions getting to someone to run up the price for someone else is very commonplace.

To me as a buyer it makes no difference how its done...I don't expect it to be sold for me cheaper than the buyer intends.

So, as I see it the only losers are E-bay as they don't get a reserve fee....

Or am I wrong in my thinking?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mr henderson

posted on 4/10/08 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
Taking bids 'from the wall' is a well known and not really unfair practice. The auctioneer risks getting stuck with the item if no-one bids higher than the artificial bid.

Irritating but I can't see that it is actually unfair. Buying the item for 99p could be construed as being unfair to the seller.

John

3GEComponents

posted on 4/10/08 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mr henderson
Buying the item for 99p could be construed as being unfair to the seller.

John

But that's the risk you take with an auction, if you want £10 for the item put the opening bid @ £10, don't put it on at 99p then shill it up to what you want.

It's time like this when a sniper comes in handy

mr henderson

posted on 4/10/08 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 3GEComponents
quote:
Buying the item for 99p could be construed as being unfair to the seller.

John

But that's the risk you take with an auction, if you want £10 for the item put the opening bid @ £10, don't put it on at 99p then shill it up to what you want.

I agree with you on that, I'm just saying that what he did wasn't actually unfair. Not good practice certainly, and, as you say, open to being sniped too.

r1_pete

posted on 4/10/08 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
What he's doing is protecting biders identities, the first bidder is bidder1, the second is bidder2 etc, in each of his auctions bidder1/2... may be different people. To bidder2 you showed up as bidder1, look at his other active auctions and you will see bidder1/2....

Only when the item ends does the winning bidder only's real id show.

See This item of his

Rgds.
Pete.

[Edited on 4/10/08 by r1_pete]

[Edited on 4/10/08 by r1_pete]

dogwood

posted on 4/10/08 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Just as a note as a seller as well as a buyer on Ebay.

You cannot have a reserve less than £50
if you start the bidding at say £10 you insertion fee is much higher than if you put it in at 99p
So yes shill bidding does happen. If it didn't then the seller would probably remove it before it enden anyway.

So it would be unlightly you would have got it for 99p anyway.

Just my opinion you understand
David

UncleFista

posted on 4/10/08 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Taking bids 'from the wall' is a well known and not really unfair practice.

It's not "off the wall" bids by an auctioneer though, it's shill bidding by someone on his own items.

Whether this is seen as "the done thing" or not it's against ebay rules, and unfair competition for those who keep to the rules.

Unfortunately if you report them, only the shill bidding user ID will be suspended, the seller won't be affected.

My response would be a neutral feedback with warning for future customers to "beware the shill"

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

MikeRJ

posted on 4/10/08 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I'm just saying that what he did wasn't actually unfair.

Unfair is perhaps the incorrect term. Immoral and totally against the auction rules is perhaps more accurate. If a seller isn't happy to let an item go for the starting price, then they should either up the starting price or not auction it.

BenB

posted on 4/10/08 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
It's shill bidding but hey.
I just put a snipe on with my "best price".
End of problem. If someone wants to shill I'll let them do it to their hearts consent.... (and pay Ebay and Paypal fees in the process).
I just put the snipe as the most I want to pay.
End of problem.
If I don't win it was more than I wanted to pay, if not I win!!!!

Chippy

posted on 4/10/08 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
I have in the last couple of months had two "happenings" that have made me think that I was bidding against the seller. One I got as a second chance, (or whatever), and the second the winning bid was withdraw, but in both cases I only bid to what I wanted to pay. Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

l0rd

posted on 5/10/08 at 12:07 AM Reply With Quote
Yes it happens. I got a less than a year old 12" JBL subwoofer with box for my car for 99p. They guy was gutted.
ReMan

posted on 5/10/08 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
What a great selection of info and opinion, I love it here

"dont think sellers can leave neg feedback for buyers anymore"
That's a good point. And one I may use

"You may be a bit naive thinking this does not go on all the time."
NO definatly not niave, as I said the whole point of my post is the blatencey of it!

"In "real" auctions getting to someone to run up the price for someone else is very commonplace."
In real auctions it does'nt cost anything to set a reserve, hence the Ebay law against it, they loose out too

"Irritating but I can't see that it is actually unfair. Buying the item for 99p could be construed as being unfair to the seller. "
I'd say it was very unfair!! They should set a starting price at their minimum, no?

"It's time like this when a sniper comes in handy"
Good plan, and I'd normally see the end of an auction and do it manually, , but this ones even bidded before others on some items!!

"What he's doing is protecting biders identities. See This item of his"
Identities are always hidden now. Another Ebay farce. If you look at the item in your link, there is the same shiller look at who bidder 2 has ever placed bids with

"It's not "off the wall" bids by an auctioneer though, it's shill bidding by someone on his own items.

Whether this is seen as "the done thing" or not it's against ebay rules, and unfair competition for those who keep to the rules.
Unfortunately if you report them, only the shill bidding user ID will be suspended, the seller won't be affected.
My response would be a neutral feedback with warning for future customers to "beware the shill"
I'm with Unclefista all the way here

"Unfair is perhaps the incorrect term. Immoral and totally against the auction rules is perhaps more accurate. If a seller isn't happy to let an item go for the starting price, then they should either up the starting price or not auction it."
And MikeRJ

"I have in the last couple of months had two "happenings" that have made me think that I was bidding against the seller. One I got as a second chance, (or whatever), and the second the winning bid was withdraw, but in both cases I only bid to what I wanted to pay. Cheers Ray"
And the reason you got it as a second chance was because they had shilled themselves and had no buyer!

"Yes it happens. I got a less than a year old 12" JBL subwoofer with box for my car for 99p. They guy was gutted."
Yes but he was also a genuine and honest seller and working within the ebay rules

Thanks again guys
I certainly won't feel so bad about messing people about on ebay in future
I think I might post regarding the options to use instead of ebay

Jon Ison

posted on 5/10/08 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
May not be shill bidding in this case, if you have not bid on any items recently you would come at as 100% bidding on the item you won ?

Maybe bidder two thinks you was a shill bidder and he gave up ?

Just a thought.

mr henderson

posted on 5/10/08 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

"It's not "off the wall" bids by an auctioneer though, it's shill bidding by someone on his own items.

I'd be interested to know what you think the difference is. "Off the wall" means taking bids that haven't actually been bid by a genuine bidder. And the difference with shill bidding is..........?

ReMan

posted on 5/10/08 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

I'd be interested to know what you think the difference is. "Off the wall" means taking bids that haven't actually been bid by a genuine bidder. And the difference with shill bidding is..........?

I guess the difference is that the auction house won't have specific rules about it, whereas it certainly is in Ebays (huge ) rule book ?

ReMan

posted on 5/10/08 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
Just for the record this is what it looks like.
As can be seen every bid that Bidder2 has made, ibn the last 30 days has been for something that Seller1 has had for sale!
Coincidence or blatent shilling?

shill
shill

Jon Ison

posted on 5/10/08 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Think that's pretty conclusive.

Just like to point out though as an ebay shop seller (Mrs anyway) we get messed about 3-4 times a week by non paying winners, we have also had two blatant attempts at fraud one of which ended with a 5 month long battle with paypal.

Guess what, we can only leave positive feedback ? Explain to me how this is an improvement.

UncleFista

posted on 6/10/08 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Shill bidding is against ebay rules. It circumvents the reserve system ebay run, meaning that if you shill bid, you don't need to post a reserve, so you can set your prices lower than people who obey the rules.

"Off the wall" bids by an auctioneer are a well accepted practice and there are no rules against it.

I'm sure there are many more differences, but that one seems the most obvious to me

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

splitrivet

posted on 6/10/08 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Its happened in auctions and business since time began, annoying but there you go. If your happy with the price you paid its a bargain if not dont bid.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.