Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Punish the motorist again.
GO

posted on 13/1/04 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
Only problem with that is thats (almost) exactly what the american constitution states...

right to bear arms to protect your home or something.

Obviously guns would still be illegal but I could see it going that way.

timf

posted on 13/1/04 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
what ever happened to the english man's home is his castle

in that case i'm rigging boiling oil from the roof/ ramparts

Metal Hippy

posted on 13/1/04 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by timf
quote:
Originally posted by Metal Hippy
On Christmas Eve a panel chose a shortlist of five ideas. Their decision was based largely on popularity but they also threw out ideas which were patently unreasonable - the beheading of people caught towing caravans during daylight hours, for example.

Why is that unreasonable?

that would get rid of gunderwosit then

Bye bye Steve {CRUNCH!}

Cock off or cock on. You choose.

Alan B

posted on 13/1/04 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
I think it's unreasonable because the beheading equipment manufacturers are all out of business......electrocution equipment is readliy available and therefore much more reasonable and practical...

HTH..

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
timf

posted on 13/1/04 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alan B
I think it's unreasonable because the beheading equipment manufacturers are all out of business......electrocution equipment is readliy available and therefore much more reasonable and practical...

HTH..

reminds me of college

12 car coil 555 timer wire big battery stainless steel urinal

David Jenkins

posted on 13/1/04 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Reminds me of a friend on a camping holiday - went outside for a leak, found an electric fence.

Laugh? we nearly started!

DJ

stephen_gusterson

posted on 13/1/04 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
i have towed a caravan in the past, but havnt offended in about 8 years now.......may happen again with age tho......

Metal Hippy

posted on 13/1/04 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
i tow a caravan all the time. i think its because of this im building a morgan fake

Could explain a lot Steve....

JoelP

posted on 13/1/04 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
i cant understand why some people take offense to the proposed new law? Describing it as mass slaughter of 16 year olds... Are they stupid? teenage delinquancy is a direct result of the fact that nobody really gets punished these days. Once a few had been beaten, mutilated or outright killed, they would get the idea.

The needs of the many (society as a whole including potential future offenders) outweigh the needs of the few (the few who dont learn in time and die early).

I learnt long ago that in many situations, you have to be cruel to be kind. Many many situations, you think you are helping someone or being kind to them, when really your actions are just making them soft or weak. For instance, lending friends money, when what they really need is a kick up the arse and a job. or letting your neighbours play loud music late, when in reality it will only get worse and someone may kill them for it one day.

'scuse the rant anyway...

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

JoelP

posted on 13/1/04 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
and just to complete the jekell and hyde thing, i will point out that violence encourages hate and hate leads to violence, so maybe at times it is best to be restrained.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 13/1/04 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Metal Hippy

im a closet homosexual that can visit you at your own place and shag all night in my caravan - just call 'hipster' on 1800 shagalot

quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
i tow a caravan all the time. i think its because of this im building a morgan fake

Could explain a lot Steve....

its ok hippy - others would probably prefer your caravan fetish - im gonna pass

[Edited on 13/1/04 by stephen_gusterson]

Alan B

posted on 13/1/04 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
Joel, I agree 100% with your first rant...

People have to get the message....going into other peoples house to steal things is not acceptable...

You'll soon see how much burglaries with drop off...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alan B

posted on 13/1/04 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
To add, I strongly believe that once you begin to undertake a criminal act then you forfeit the rights that the rest of us have.....e.g. being able to sue your victim is just ridiculous
Alan B

posted on 13/1/04 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GO
Only problem with that is thats (almost) exactly what the american constitution states....

Why is that a problem?
I certainly don't hear of remotely close to the number of break-ins I used to hear about in the UK.....there seems a lot more respect for other peoples property over here....vandalism for example is pretty uncommon.....and (in my area at least) gun crimes are no more frequent than the UK.....maybe I'm in a good area, who knows, but overall I feel much less threatened......

All IMO

dave1888

posted on 13/1/04 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Don't carry a baseball if you get caught, you are carrying an offensive weapon if you use it to cause injury you will be charged with intent, A pc friend told me if you must carry something (in your car or by the house door ) make it a nice piece of 2x2 you can't be charged with intent. You are just protecting yourself. Me personally I'd shot the bastards there all surplus to requirements

Metal Hippy

posted on 13/1/04 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
According to your signature Dave you've seen Still Crazy...

stephen_gusterson

posted on 13/1/04 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
I saw summat on the net the other day that a half dozen or so american cities had murder rates at 500 plus per city.

UK isnt anything like that. If it was there wouldnt be so much bitching about 3,500 deaths on the road each year and 5,000 through dirty hospitals.....

we havnt had any snipers at B and Q or the local esso, or shell recently. And try as I might, I cant seem to be able to buy a hunting rifle or ammo at a tesco, like you can for just 200 dollars at Target. Not noticed any kids going on a rampage with guns in schools yet either.

I know a guy that regularly visits the usa.

on one occasion he was in a restaurant, when the jilted BF of a waitress came in. He blew away the waitress, the owner, his wife and himself. Before that he blasted the shotgun at customers. The guy I knew was hit in the face with pellets and they were still in there when I saw him on his return. they 'grow out' apparently. Another guy I know has had gunshots in his car bodywork.

I have been to the usa 15 times, and seen nothign like this. but it does happen. I have seen LA 4 times- I like the place but 85% of it is a shyte hole.

as are a fir deal of places here too.......but I doubt there is as much gun crime in kettering.....

atb

steve

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by GO
Only problem with that is thats (almost) exactly what the american constitution states....

Why is that a problem?
I certainly don't hear of remotely close to the number of break-ins I used to hear about in the UK.....there seems a lot more respect for other peoples property over here....vandalism for example is pretty uncommon.....and (in my area at least) gun crimes are no more frequent than the UK.....maybe I'm in a good area, who knows, but overall I feel much less threatened......

All IMO

andyps

posted on 13/1/04 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
The £5 proposal is totally unjustified - there is no correlation between the generally victimless offence of speeding and victims of other crimes. It is just that the govt see the motorist as an endless supply of money which they can use for whatever they want. A minister was questioned about why not make it £100 and sort out the nhs at the same time - trouble is that will probably have given them an idea.

The nanny state is getting too much - will the last sane person to leave the country please switch off the lights.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

Alan B

posted on 13/1/04 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Steve, to be fair burglary and homeowner response was the main topic rather than gun crime.....and I did stress "in my area"...not that I disagree or dispute any of your input.......

I was really questioning why was homeowners having more rights to defend their property so bad?

Peteff

posted on 13/1/04 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
You can batter them in the house but don't go outside after them to finish the job off, that's murder. Then again they wouldn't be able to sue you. Carry on.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 13/1/04 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Alan

I do agree that you have the right to defend BUT there has to be reasonable limits. Invite someone you want to bump off into your home, and kill em, and pretend 'thought it was burgular'. Hit the misses in the dark with a baseball bat 'thought it was burgular'.

There will be problems with 'no limits' defence.

There was a story over here a few years back when a brit got blown away knocking on doors for help in the usa. the householder was feeling threatend so shot first, thought after.

The Tony Martin case over here, from which this debate comes, isnt as clear cut as its made out.

Martin had chased the two burgulars out of the house with a gun. job done. As they were running away, martin shot at both. he killed one with a shot in the back, and hit survivor in the leg. If people are running away from your house, I dont think the 'reasonable man' would expect justice to include a shot in the back and dead at sixteen cos you burgled someones house.

fair enougth, it was the zilliont time it had happened to Martin, but its still, in my book, isnt reasonable to shoot unarmed people, running away, in the back.

Only US police officers seem to do that - on TV.

atb

steve

quote:
Steve, to be fair burglary and homeowner response was the main topic rather than gun crime.....and I did stress "in my area"...not that I disagree or dispute any of your input.......

I was really questioning why was homeowners having more rights to defend their property so bad?

Alan B

posted on 13/1/04 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Agreed Steve...it has to be somewhere between no limits and no defence...
dave1888

posted on 13/1/04 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
No disrespect to our usa builders but the uk is becoming more like the usa you can sue anybody for anything. There was a case in Perth scotland 2 yrs ago were a woman sued a Mongol lad for £1500 because of the stress she suffered when she looked at him. The sad thing is she won! this is the sort of thing that should/could only happen in america.

Alan B

posted on 13/1/04 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Dave, it is made worse over here by the fact that there are so many fake stories going around....although it IS bad...

The trouble here is that even you win you usually still have to pay your own costs, which is stupid...IMO if you bring up a frivolous lawsuit and lose you should pay it all...

stephen_gusterson

posted on 13/1/04 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
Metal Hippy would be in bankrupcy

quote:
Originally posted by dave1888
No disrespect to our usa builders but the uk is becoming more like the usa you can sue anybody for anything. There was a case in Perth scotland 2 yrs ago were a woman sued a Mongol lad for £1500 because of the stress she suffered when she looked at him. The sad thing is she won! this is the sort of thing that should/could only happen in america.

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.