Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: nissan 200sx - ca18det
richardiainlowe

posted on 26/1/04 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
nissan 200sx - ca18det

hi, im just considering my first kit build, ive been reading around the whole subject and decided that the mk indy is the way i wanna go.
after lots of research on www.sxoc.co.uk i think the ca18det would be a great engine to use, 170bhp, turbo, built for rwd and a turbo so infinately tunable - upto 400+ bhp
my question is, how difficult would this be to fit? i have done a search but there isnt a great deal of info on the engine with a locost.
im thinking it'd be easier to use the standard sierra set up in the indy and just use the nissan engine/box and fabricate engine mounts to suit. the biggest problem will no doubt be the electrics, would it be possible to use a whole loom from a s13 200sx donor or does anyone know of someone who would sorrt the electrics out for a price?

ant comments/suggestions?

all help much appreciated

rich

TPG

posted on 26/1/04 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome.there was recently a feature in Kitcar where a bloke had fitted the 200zx turbo engine in a sytlus(car name.not part of a record player).A sytlus is a Locost shaped chassis so I don't see a problem with fit.Now under bonnet temps......
Good Luck.It'll be good.

[Edited on 26/1/04 by TPG]

scutter

posted on 26/1/04 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Rich, Welcome, we were discussing this engine at the curry on saturday night, I think we concluded that it's a great idea.

For more information try looking at the australian websites. THIS should get you started (click on the this), they have to use mx5s and the like as doners.

All the best Dan.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Piledhigher

posted on 26/1/04 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
I think the ca18det would be fine. I will be installing an sr20det under the hood in my 7-variant.

Cory

richardiainlowe

posted on 26/1/04 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the positive welcome, everyone is very friendly, unlike some of the boards i have been on before . . .
it does sound like a great idea and the fact that its so tunable is a big plus, the lads on the sxoc.co.uk website are getting 250bhp with just a swap of the turbo, fmic (front mounted intercooler), exhaust, k+n and chip.
the fmic may be a problem but a standard 170bhp out of the box is good, v. good!
Your right the under bonnet temps will be a prob but lots of vents etc. would help and maybe exhaust wrap the whole exhaust manifold and turbo?
check out this website for a little info on ca18det tuning www.h-dev.co.uk, go to products then s13 then stage 1/2/3 depending on the amount of power!
i was considering a bec but i will be driving this quite a bit and i dont like the undriveability of bec's as well as the lack of torque.
i just had a thought about the transmission, will the tunnel be too small to house the nissan gearbox?

thanks

JoelP

posted on 26/1/04 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
bolloxjust wrote a long answer and lost it in the computer

ah well, hi there, great idea, loom easy, love jap turbos, lots of breeze in an locost engine bay, gearbox should fit but maybe measure it first, and good luck.

that about sums it up!!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

david walker

posted on 27/1/04 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
There isn't "lots of breeze" in a Locost engine bay. It's one of the problems that se7ens suffer!

Dave Walker, Race Engine Services - 07957 454659 or 01636 671277

JoelP

posted on 27/1/04 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
i suppose im thinking of mine, not a standard locost. But mine definately has more airflow than my road car! massive floor area, long nose, and a 'straight thru' transmission tunnel that goes straight out the back with no panels....

point taken though.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

richardiainlowe

posted on 27/1/04 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
i think cooling good be one of the main issues then, im sure with lots of vents to get cold air in and hot air out it should be ok?
how hard is it going to be to wire the whole thing up? is it gonna be easier just to use the whole 200sx loom and transplant it to the indy?
TPG, you mention they had a stylus with a 200sx engine in kitcar magazine, could you do me a favour and find out which issue so i can order a back copy?

cheers
rich

TPG

posted on 28/1/04 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
Richard.I'll have a look for it today.Will let you know.
Julian B

posted on 28/1/04 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
I used to cook in my Robin Hood. The exhaust was very close to the drivers footwell The car could have done with some vents to aid air flow through the engine bay. This is somthing well worth spending some time on so that when summer comes !!! you can drive without roasting
mackie

posted on 28/1/04 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
Could that foil covered insulation work if you had it around the foot well and maybe some of the tranny tunnel? It'd probably have to be fire retardant though...
That, coupled with exhaust wrap and decent ventilation should make it more bearable surely.
Maybe just line the engine bay with gold. Worked for McLaren

TPG

posted on 28/1/04 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
Found it!It wasn't in Kit Car.T'was in Which Kit.July 2003 issue bulit by Paul Hooper.De Dion rear end based around a Sierra 4x4 diff.270 Bhp!Check u2u

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.