Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Twin engined
GO

posted on 1/2/04 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Twin engined

What are the options for linking two engines together. Or do you not actually need to link them?

I'm specifically thinking bike engines.

Anyone know how tiger did it on their beast? Is the tiger 4wd?

david walker

posted on 1/2/04 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
The twin engined Tigers were built by a pal of mine - Chris Allanson from Hornsea.

His first two cars were 2wd Westfields with ZX9 engines. The first of the Tigers was also 2wd. The later cars - including the one that holds the world 0-60 speed record for a roadgoing car is 4wd.

These cars are now fairly special - injected ZX12s, 4 wd, data logging, traction control, abs etc. I think he'll sell you a new one for about £40k.

The 2 wd cars have short props linked through to a special "collector gearbox, which has one output to the rear wheels. It also incorporates reverse. Obviusly the prop on the front engine is longer than the rear one. I know who makes them but you probably have to buy one through Chris. There will be no change from two grand.

The 4wd car transmissions run independently both to Cossie LSDs' fore and aft. In this repect they are mechanically independent. But beware there is a considerable amount of electronic wizardry to keep both in sync and keep it relatively safe.

By the way they will do 0 to 100 and back to 0 in 10 seconds!

Dave Walker, Race Engine Services - 07957 454659 or 01636 671277

chrisg

posted on 2/2/04 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
You know, you can call me thick(you probably have already) but how are these twin engined cars faster?

I mean if, say your bike engine turns at 14000 rpm, and you second engine turns at 14000 rpm , then 14000 rpm is whats going into the gear box, you can't get more revolutions at the wheels, is it all in the increased torque, or have I missed something?

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

Carl.H

posted on 2/2/04 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
I would have thought that double the torque would help a lot + more rubber to get the extra power down (4wd).

I drink to make other people interesting.

david walker

posted on 2/2/04 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Chris, I would have thought it was an easy one to figure - would a 14000 rpm moped engine do the business - no. Without the power (torque x revs) the engine dies when you drop the clutch. The twins don't die, believe me!

Dave Walker, Race Engine Services - 07957 454659 or 01636 671277

Stu16v

posted on 2/2/04 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

The 4wd car transmissions run independently both to Cossie LSDs' fore and aft. In this repect they are mechanically independent. But beware there is a considerable amount of electronic wizardry to keep both in sync and keep it relatively safe.

Unless Stiff Needle is driving it of course....

The electronic 'wizardry' is vitally important on the 4WD cars, it's the virtual 'centre diff' if you like. Without it, as the car accelerates hard, the front wheels go light as the weight is transfered to the rear-result, front wheels loose traction and start spinning madly, effectively making you a passenger in a ballistic missile with no steering!

quote:

I know who makes them but you probably have to buy one through Chris.

Me too, and I would imagine you are dead right there David, as a lot of work went into the design/manufacture of the box, specifically commissioned by Chris.

Chrisg, think of two bike engines as a V8, but instead of being joined at the crank, they are joined at the propshaft, or in the case of the 4WD, the road.....

Dont just build it.....make it!

Mark Allanson

posted on 2/2/04 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
The twin engined Tigers were built by a pal of mine - Chris Allanson from Hornsea.

Who!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Simon

posted on 3/2/04 at 12:33 AM Reply With Quote
"The twin engined Tigers were built by a pal of mine - Chris Allanson from Hornsea"

A relative?

ATB

Simon

Jon Ison

posted on 3/2/04 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
Chris of Z cars autograss fame, the home of bike engines into car transplants

stephen_gusterson

posted on 3/2/04 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
i bought one of his loaves once

atb

steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.