Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Custom individual throttle bodies
ed_crouch

posted on 3/2/04 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
Custom individual throttle bodies

I would like to do some sork on developing individual throttle bodies alongside work on an engine management system (i need to do SOMETHING with my 2.1 in Avionic Systems Engineering, or it was a waste!!). Does anyone know of any good sources of info on the design of throttle bodies. I am after a starter for ten to get the design work going.

Anyone got any info... Please???

Cheers

Ed.

P.S. if you're interested, check out

http://www.wings-and-wheels.net

for information on how i'm getting on with it...

timf

posted on 3/2/04 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.jenvey.co.uk/

JoelP

posted on 3/2/04 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=8100

dunno if you've seen this thread but that seems a good start if you havent! there are some mentions of throttle bodies in it.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

paulbeyer

posted on 3/2/04 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
I understand down draught and side draught carburettors and seem to have got to grips with standard fuel injection systems but what exactly are throttle bodies and what are the pro's and con's?

7 out of 10 people suffer with hemorrhoids. Does that mean the other 3 enjoy them?

James

posted on 4/2/04 at 12:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulbeyer
I understand down draught and side draught carburettors and seem to have got to grips with standard fuel injection systems but what exactly are throttle bodies and what are the pro's and con's?

I'm glad you asked that Paul.

I was going to ask earlier but thought everyone knew so didn't like to ask!

...wouldn't want to look an idiot...

Doh!

James

James

posted on 4/2/04 at 12:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulbeyer

I'm glad you asked that Paul.

I was going to ask earlier but thought everyone knew so didn't like to ask!

...wouldn't want to look an idiot...

Doh!

James

Metal Hippy

posted on 4/2/04 at 01:35 AM Reply With Quote
I'm tempted by the thought of throttle bodies post sva....

They'd reduce the height of the Beemer engine a fair bit...

Anyone here able to make me a new engine management system?

Cock off or cock on. You choose.

sgraber

posted on 4/2/04 at 02:11 AM Reply With Quote
This is a good read

http://home.earthlink.net/~jcgebhart/msindex.html

Steve

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 4/2/04 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
as far as i know, throttle bodies are like having a separate injector for each cylinder. thirsty work...

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

zetec

posted on 4/2/04 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
If you can get your head around carbs then throttle bodies are childs play! The ones I got from Jenvey are a straight tube, one for each inlet port (as per twin webers) with a throttle butterfly and a hole for an eletronic fuel injector to poke thru. Thats it! The clever bit is designing the length of the inlet tract, how far back you mount the injector and the ECU program which opens the injector. I will add I had nothing to do with any of this, I just bolted mine on. It must take hours on a dyno to get all these variables just right. As an example a mild tune zetec can gain or loose 20-30BHP if the inlet tract from air filter to inlet valve is too short, hard to believe but true. As said jenvey site is a good read.
Stu16v

posted on 4/2/04 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Throttle bodies can be made out of an old pair of carburettors, or alternatively a lot of big bike engine now run ideally sized ones. After all, it's only a tube with a butterfly in it! The injectors dont even have to be mounted there, and in actual fact it isnt necessarily the best place to fit them. Some suitably machined adapters for injectors welded onto the inlet manifold which point them at the back of the inlet valves is as good as anything. Add an ECU, and a way of measuring engine load and you are not far away....

Dont just build it.....make it!

racer56

posted on 4/2/04 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
Attempt at explaining what a throttle body does.
For electronic fuel injected petrol engines, the powertrain control module (PCM) controls the amount of fuel injected per firing event. All the driver controls is the amount of air entering the engine. To do this there is (as already described) a tube with a butterfly in it. The butterfly controls the air, and the driver controls the butterfly with his (or her) right foot.
Some form or air metering is needed (Mass air flow (MAF) or manifold air pressure (MAP)) and a "lookup table" that the PCM uses to figure out what air fuel ratio has been calibrated and therefore how much fuel to inject. Hopefully at that point the whole lot is encouraged to go bang and the engine moves on by 180 degrees. Good luck with building your own system. Personally I would go for a twin weber set up, and spend some time on the rolling road. Sounds better and (my opinion) looks better.

paulbeyer

posted on 4/2/04 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
as far as i know, throttle bodies are like having a separate injector for each cylinder. thirsty work...

I am using a 4AGE with standard injection system. That uses separate injectors for each cylinder. They deliver the fuel direct into the cylider head so what is the advantage of using throttle bodies to what is in all intents and purposes doing the same thing.

James I don't mind asking questions if I don't understand something, that's how I learn, who cares if others think I'm an idiot?

7 out of 10 people suffer with hemorrhoids. Does that mean the other 3 enjoy them?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.