Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: help a noob
nutter

posted on 7/2/04 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
help a noob

hello well i anit got a locost but wnat to build one and from what i read a de dion rear axle isbest but anyway i want to put a rover v8 in it. at a guess id say the 3.5 would fit best or would the 4.6 fit just as well also what gearbox should be used with the engine or does a normall rover v8 manual fit in
cheers for the info

chrisg

posted on 8/2/04 at 12:02 AM Reply With Quote
What's best is a matter of opinion, it's certainly easiest to use a live axle, there is a kit from GTS tuning for the de-deon, but as you're planning to fit the V8 you'd probably have to widen the car from standard, so I'm not sure how that would work, as to the gearbox if you're building the chassis then I'd say you'd make it fit, I think the boys that are building V8's would use the SD1 rover manual, athough I've seen a couple of cars with the auto.

The engines are the same (external)size.

HTH

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

nutter

posted on 8/2/04 at 01:13 AM Reply With Quote
from what i have been looking at of the build of a v8 locost it seams a poo load harder and mean that i wil have to build my own chasis alotho i anit even starting for a year or so i am going to try and build up a lot of info on what to do by any chance does anybody know of anywere that will make a chassis that will let u put a v8 in dont think a 2ltr zetec will satsfic me now ive seeen the v8 in em
JoelP

posted on 8/2/04 at 01:41 AM Reply With Quote
one of luego's cars us wider than normal. Not sure which, click the link at the top of every screen for details.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

mackie

posted on 8/2/04 at 03:07 AM Reply With Quote
Hi nutter and welcome to the forum.
We are building a V8 locost using the McSorley 7+4 chassis plans and the de dion kit from gts (hopefully).
If you have a lot of time to spare to plan then i'd recommend building your own chassis.
There are a few of us on here building V8 cars and I'm sure we'd all be more than happy to give you plently of hints and tips.
As for engine choice, he rover unit is a great one because it's relatively compact and light (no heavier than a 2L pinto) and gives a good slug of power and torque in standard tune. They are quite easy to come by too.
As chrisg said all RV8s are more or less the same dimensions externally but have varying ancilaries etc. The 3.5l engine is by far the most common but a 3,9 from a rangie or landie would be a good find if you have the dosh for a full rebuild with a nice weber and high compression pistons etc.
As for gearboxes, the LT77 (manual in the SD1 and TR8) is ok, although it's quite rare to find a good one these days, if you can get a late-model vitesse type then all the better. The alternative is a ford cosworth T5 box mated to a RV8 auto bellhousing via an adapter plate. The T5 is a stronger box but will cost you a bit more. I can't really comment on the shift action of either however.
It's well easy to mate up the rover gearbox to a sierra diff (a new prop is quite reasonable money) so all you have to worry about is the rest of the car really.
Good luck.

ed_crouch

posted on 8/2/04 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
Nutter

I am planning the same thing, a V8 Locost.

Go to my website:

http//:www.wings-and-wheels.net

Go to the Locost files section, and have a dig through it. I am at the planning stage and have spent many hours kicking ideas around. If you have any questions, please dont hesitate to ask: either U2U me on here, or email me by clicking the mailto link at the bottom of every page on the site.

If I can help you, i will try!

Ed.

ed_crouch

posted on 8/2/04 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
wrong address!!

http://www.wings-and-wheels.net

Sorry!!

Ed.

I-iii-iii-iii-ts ME!

Hurrah.

www.wings-and-wheels.net

nutter

posted on 8/2/04 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
altho i would love he chanelenge of building my own chassis i hve never welded before or anything the v8 luego chasssis sounds very good, but for the whole thing from them is a shed load of money but i still would proberly prefer to get one of there chassis as at least i will know its done right, cheers for the help you guys at least u are willing to help
Julian B

posted on 8/2/04 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Im building a 3.5 V8 but have elected to use the Dax chassis and running gear.I had a go in their car and the handlig was fantastic. Have a look at my site for links . www.Daxrush.org

Good luck

ned

posted on 9/2/04 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
I met a guy at the weekend at the newlands meet (surrey) in a westfield rover v8, it was dry sumped etc and seemed ok. he did mention problems with cooling it though. he had his 'summer bonnet' on the car which basically had loads of vents and holes in it. he said a mate of his had a 4.1 in at one time but had to take it out as after 5 mins in traffic it would tsart to overheat, that was with the biggest rad they cpould fit and electric fans going too.

not saying this is impossible, but something to bear in mind..

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ed_crouch

posted on 11/2/04 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
Ned, yeh, my old man had an E28 BMW 535i: he put an E34 M5 3.6 engine in it, and had to have a custom rad made for it. 4 inch thick ally core, and about 18 inches by 2 feet!! Did the job tho. I might have to go down the same route. Still, I can have a look at the space envelopeinside the nose and model up a radiator and cooling fans and see what fits.

Also, I have a reasonable working knowledge of thermodynamics, and so should be able to make a starter for 10 on the energy flows before ive even started the chassis!

Oh the smugness!!

Ed.

I-iii-iii-iii-ts ME!

Hurrah.

www.wings-and-wheels.net

ed_crouch

posted on 11/2/04 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
Theres two reasons im doing a sad and incredibly thorough planning project:

1) i have a 2.1 degree in this sort of thing.
2) i dont have the money to really get going on the build yet!! Planning is cheap, and saves dosh later.

Ed.

I-iii-iii-iii-ts ME!

Hurrah.

www.wings-and-wheels.net

Julian B

posted on 11/2/04 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
What shape would you make the wheels then...

Sorry i couldn't help it

nutter

posted on 11/2/04 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for all the info guys yur a nice bunch, when i do get to start this project i will buy a chassis cos i anit a welder and dont want to risk my life to much, but asi will be a mechnic pretty much everything else i should be able to sort out for myself, id guss that a luego chasssis would be best as they have got the engine mounted further back or would the 7+4 chassis do the same? sorry cant remember the name of the chassis, can sombody give us a link to a site with info on the 7+4 one it would be a great help
wish you all look with what you are doing and hope that in futur i will be able to help you out (once i know what i am doing a bit better)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.