Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2.8ltr V6 Locost
DNA Locost

posted on 13/2/04 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
2.8ltr V6 Locost

This seems to be the best place for Locost information!

I have Locost chassis built by Mr Champions instructions, Will it take the weight and power of a Ford 2.8 V6??

I have seen the pictures of Hicost's cosworth motor, is he just a looney or is that chassis going to be ok? My engine wont produce this much power but I might weigh about the same.

Let me know your thoughts will you guys.

wurlyvalve

posted on 13/2/04 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
Should think so! Although the std chassis ain't that stiff. Try to get the two triangulating braces across from the bulkhead to the upper rails. That helps a lot!

www.wurlyvalve.i12.com

My site shows just about every detail I could think of!

Glen.

ned

posted on 13/2/04 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
the weight and power will be fine. hicosts chassis is strengthened for the power and torque he produces, but book chassis will accomodate ford v6 and rover v8 engines (slightly widened for the v8).

look up cymtriks, he has posted some mods to improve the strength of the chassis.

cheers,

ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ed_crouch

posted on 13/2/04 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
I have heard of people putting LOOPY engines in locosts. BMW straight 6s and stuff like that. I would think that as long as the complete engine is the right side of 200kg, it should be ok. Also, being a V6, its a bit shorter than most engines, so if it is mounted well back, it should reduce the amount of weight over the front wheels to a more sensible amount.

Heavy engines do tend to cause understeer though. Get some accurate on the weight of the engine: a bare Pinto engine, that is:

block, pistons, crank, sump, rods, head with cam,valves rocker cover and rocker gear, aswell as the water pump and viscous fan coupling is about 105kg. This is a lot for an engine developing only 100bhp. You could probably add another 60 or 70 kg for the gearbox, manifolds and ancillaries.

The V6 will be a good 20 or 30kg heavier (input, anyone???), and probably about 150 BHP.

Based on weight vs power vs money, make a value judgement on whether the V6 is a good idea...

Ed.

I-iii-iii-iii-ts ME!

Hurrah.

www.wings-and-wheels.net

DNA Locost

posted on 13/2/04 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys,

The V6 engine is a bit shorter than a standard 4 cylinder, so I think it will go in very easy. No idea what it weighs with the box attached, can anyone tell me? its standard straight from an XR4i

I bought the engine for £20 and its an ok runner really so cost isn't really a problem,

As its all I have lying around at the moment I think I'll stick her in and put some extra strengthening cross members in to give it a better chance.

ned

posted on 13/2/04 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
have you got the gearbox from the xr4i aswell? they can be difficult/expensive to source as they have a different bellhousing/length input shaft to a standard type 9.

Ned.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DNA Locost

posted on 13/2/04 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah Ive got the box too,

Thats lucky then if it's hard to get hold of.

Cheers for your help.

philgregson

posted on 13/2/04 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
I've tried three times to post this reply but it just keeps going missing (perhaps I should take the hint).

So last try for my two pence worth!

It's true that the 2.8 V6 isn't the lightest engine known to man (but it's not that much heavier than a pinto) and it isn't the most powerful (although 150-160 bhp will not be lagging behind much street machinery when put in a locost) but it does have some plus points:

1) Torque - and lots of it. It has, if I remember correctly, almost twice the torque of a pinto and torque is what you need for grunting your way through those twisty B roads that are the natural habitat for this type of car - all that low down grunt will make you grin from ear to ear.

2) Noise - it just sounds so so so much better than a pinto. This alone is reason enough to fit one in my opinion.

3) Weight distribution - It's short and so you can sit it well back - a good thing.

4) It's a ford - Cheap, plentiful and easy to get bits for.

It does have down sides:

It's a bugger to fit in with all that injection crap (but not so hard that loads haven't already done it) - a big bonnet bulge is in order. It's slightly easier with a carb but there is a power and torque penalty.

It is not the easiest thing in the world to tune with having those siamesed ports etc., but not impossible.

So to conclude:

It is at the end of the day an antiquated old boat anchor but bang for bucks it's good value.

Don't let the pinto boys tell you it's no better than a pinto - they are just envious 'cos they haven't got one.

It is possible to fit and I think you should.

I would/will/am/will probably eventually get round to.

Cheers

Phil.

DNA Locost

posted on 13/2/04 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Phil, You just repeated everything thats on my mind,

The sound of this engine makes me smile every time I start her up and thats half the fun of a kit car for me.

I know with the power to weight it will be no racing car but Im making this car for road use so its well suited.

V6 it is !!!

ned

posted on 13/2/04 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
don't know where in hampshire you are , but there's a meet every 1st sunday at newlands corner, guildford if you wanna pop along and have a chat with some of us. with the weather hopefully getting better therre should be some more cars turning out..

Ned.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 13/2/04 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
I think Hicost's car dates from 1997, so I think that answers yer question!

quote:
Originally posted by DNA Locost
This seems to be the best place for Locost information!

I have Locost chassis built by Mr Champions instructions, Will it take the weight and power of a Ford 2.8 V6??

I have seen the pictures of Hicost's cosworth motor, is he just a looney or is that chassis going to be ok? My engine wont produce this much power but I might weigh about the same.

Let me know your thoughts will you guys.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 13/2/04 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
In a granada, the all up weight of a v6 from a 2.0 litre car is 65 kilos heavier.

However the v6 makes 35 - 45 hp more than a 2.0 pinto

my car has a v6 - see my site for pikkies

atb

steve

quote:
Originally posted by ed_crouch

The V6 will be a good 20 or 30kg heavier (input, anyone???), and probably about 150 BHP.

Ed.

[Edited on 13/2/04 by stephen_gusterson]

philgregson

posted on 13/2/04 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
A wise chap and no mistake!

Just dont come crying to me when it won't fit 'cos I still haven't made mine fit yet!!

Cheers

Phil

ned

posted on 13/2/04 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
hicosts car originally had a 2.1 pinto, he's in the second edition 'book' the comment is 'this builder made his car six incjes wider' q plate. he has gusseted/fillteted round all the joints to strengthen the car for the hue torque it produces.

Ned.

Metal Hippy

posted on 13/2/04 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
Somebody mention big heavy engines...?

Cock off or cock on. You choose.

DNA Locost

posted on 13/2/04 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Ned, Im in Gosport, Hampshire but I might come up and meet you all some time.

Thanks again for the invite.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.