Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Starter motor ideas wanted
Fred W B

posted on 7/11/04 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Starter motor ideas wanted

Hi All

I am connecting a Rover V 8 to a Audi transaxle.

If I use the rover flywheel, I need to make the adaptor plate about 50 mm / 2" thick, as the rover flywheel has a larger OD then the inside of the transaxle case. I prefer not to do this, as I will have to lengthen the wheel base this amount

So use the smaller audi flywheel, making the clutch etc easy to sort. Except that the bendix on the starter motor in the standard V8 position will not reach the ring gear.

So, try to find a smaller starter, that can fit tighter against the block. The smallest I can find, from a Suzuki Jeep, is still too big, and probably won't turn the V8 anyway.

I could possibly fabricate a mounting to fit a starter on the other side of the transaxle, facing the other way, but would have to cut a lot of the bell housing away.

Or, final resort, mount a modified starter further forward, with an offset shaft and uj's connected to a bendix only mounted at the edge of the ring gear.

This is getting complicated, so any bright ideas? Or anyone know of a car that uses a remote mounted starter?

Any help will be appreciated

Regards

Fred WB

rusty nuts

posted on 7/11/04 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
I.I.R.C the old P6 rovers used a smaller dia clutch , it may be that the flywheel was also smaller?? . also would it be possible to use the Audi starter Best of luck. Rusty.
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 7/11/04 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Fred WB
Theres an engineering shop in Pietermaritz burg that turned out the adapters for VW combis to v6 ford. They did my Kent to V dub adapter plate and it was perfect.
They reworked the flywheel and clutch and it worked perfectly. I know they did most conversions with almost any engine to any gearbox. The name excapes me but I will ask my oldman in Durbs

The other boys in Joeys were Gilo engineering
Physical Address No.24, 5th Street, Booysens Reserve
South Africa, 2091
Postal Address P O Box 38641, Booysens, 2016
Telephone +27 11 835 2915
Fax +27 11 835 3825
E-mail info@giloeng.com
http://www.giloeng.com/
these guys can help cause they do a lot of rover applications. They will also give you guidence to wards the starter to use.

Pat

[Edited on 7-11-04 by mangogrooveworkshop]

Mark Allanson

posted on 7/11/04 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
If its just the motor body causing the obstruction, perhaps a couple of small UV joints could let you position the motor wherever you want. You could use socket set/steering col type ones, they would handle the torque and are easily available

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

TL

posted on 8/11/04 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not familliar with the Audi transaxle, so I don't know if it has a bolt on bellhousing or "cast-on-to-the-box".

Either way, you could get hold of a Rover bellhousing and either bolt it or have it TIG welded to yor cut down box.

I know I've made it sound a lot simpler than it is, but it sounds like you're in for some serious engineering whichever approach you take.

I modified a ford MT75 box (ali, with cast on bellhousing) to fit RV8 by grafting the front of a Range Rover bellhousing to a cut-off MT75 using TIG. A lot of messing about, but then nothing's easy!

Best of luck.

Cheers,

Terry

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.