Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Finding companies for important jobs
Slimy38

posted on 18/4/23 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
Finding companies for important jobs

My next couple of jobs that I need to sort out are the roll bar and the propshaft shortening. I'm not attempting either of those as a DIY, but I'm also struggling to find places to do them. I had a fair few tube bending places bookmarked but it looks like a lot of them are gone now.

Neither of them are particular urgent though, so I'm wondering whether to hold off until the Kit car show. I remember Bailey Morris are frequent vendors, I think they were even offering a 10% discount for work booked at the show.

I appreciate I'm partly asking about future events, but based on previous shows does anyone think I'm doing the right thing? Or am I going to end up back on the internet after the show?

James

posted on 18/4/23 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
My next couple of jobs that I need to sort out are the roll bar and the propshaft shortening. I'm not attempting either of those as a DIY, but I'm also struggling to find places to do them. I had a fair few tube bending places bookmarked but it looks like a lot of them are gone now.

Neither of them are particular urgent though, so I'm wondering whether to hold off until the Kit car show. I remember Bailey Morris are frequent vendors, I think they were even offering a 10% discount for work booked at the show.

I appreciate I'm partly asking about future events, but based on previous shows does anyone think I'm doing the right thing? Or am I going to end up back on the internet after the show?

I would phone Bailey Morris and ask if they'll give you the 10% now instead of waiting. It's in no business's interest to wait for money till later when you might have changed your mind and gone elsewhere so they might well be willing. As the saying goes: "a pound today is worth 2 pounds tomorrow".

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

MikeR

posted on 18/4/23 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
When I asked Dave Mac about shortening the price seemed remarkably like the price for making a prop shaft. When you think about it, liability and reputation on the line, id make a new propshaft as well.
Slimy38

posted on 18/4/23 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
When I asked Dave Mac about shortening the price seemed remarkably like the price for making a prop shaft. When you think about it, liability and reputation on the line, id make a new propshaft as well.

That had occurred to me as well, particularly as it's just a shortened MX5 shaft with no weird gearbox/diff combination to link together. If they are very similar I might just get a brand new one to the required size.

Oh, and thanks for the name, I was trying to remember the one I'd seen that was Coventry way but just couldn't find it. Dave Mac was the one I was thinking about, I work in Atherstone so it wouldn't take much to pop down and have a chat with them one lunch.

[Edited on 18/4/23 by Slimy38]

Rallychris

posted on 19/4/23 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
Definitely look at a new propshaft build rather than trying to modify an original MX5 one - the joints are usually knackered anyway on a used MX5 shaft. It also means you don’t need to bother delivering the old bits to the supplier. I recently used Dunning and Fairbank for mine based on the responses I received when contacting about 5 of the usual suspects for propshaft. The cost quoted from all that responded was approx £200 plus VAT.

It’s worth noting however that the propshaft suppliers I spoke to cannot source the exact same sized Mazda gearbox sliding yoke as the original MX5 (with staked UJ) and the ones available are for a slightly larger universal joint. That means you get heavier duty joints but also the physical size across the outside of the yoke is a bit bigger so be careful if you are tight for space in the tunnel.

Chris

Robin Hood 2B Mazda Project Started March 2021

sdh2903

posted on 19/4/23 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Dave Mac props are great. Last time I had one made they were far more helpful, cheaper and quicker turnaround than Bailey morris. Agree on previous responses, just get a new one made, prices were pretty much identical to shortening.
adithorp

posted on 19/4/23 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
I've used both Bailey Morris and Dunning+Fairbank. Both good. BM have handy order form/diagram that makes it easy but I've found D+F easier to deal with over the phone.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Slimy38

posted on 19/4/23 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rallychris
It’s worth noting however that the propshaft suppliers I spoke to cannot source the exact same sized Mazda gearbox sliding yoke as the original MX5 (with staked UJ) and the ones available are for a slightly larger universal joint. That means you get heavier duty joints but also the physical size across the outside of the yoke is a bit bigger so be careful if you are tight for space in the tunnel.

Chris

I appreciate the heads up. At the moment I'm only running the standard fuel, brake and electrics down the tunnel and they're all tucked in quite tightly, hopefully the propshaft should be well clear.

40inches

posted on 19/4/23 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
I found D&F cheaper than Bailey Morris and responded to email and phone queries quickly. Turn around in about a week.
mgb281

posted on 20/4/23 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
10% off what, it’s commonly called a “Sprat to catch a mackerel” Freddy who makes the adapter plates for RX8 gearboxes recommends Bars Props of Neath. Get a few quotes from recommended suppliers ad take your pick.
SJ

posted on 20/4/23 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
quote:
Originally posted by Rallychris

Chris

I appreciate the heads up. At the moment I'm only running the standard fuel, brake and electrics down the tunnel and they're all tucked in quite tightly, hopefully the propshaft should be well clear.

I got caught out with that with the prop I got from old MK. I ended up modifying the chassis as the front UJ was so big.

Slimy38

posted on 20/4/23 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mgb281
10% off what, it’s commonly called a “Sprat to catch a mackerel” Freddy who makes the adapter plates for RX8 gearboxes recommends Bars Props of Neath. Get a few quotes from recommended suppliers ad take your pick.

Yeah that had occurred to me! I guess it was more about whether they will show up at the fairs, it's obviously a little easier to walk from booth to booth and speak to people directly, rather than having to call or even travel the length of the country.

Paul_Arion

posted on 20/4/23 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
re the roll bar - it might be worth a call to D.M. Fabrications in Rugeley. I know they do MX5 roll bars, and also offer powder coating. I've had a few things done by them and they aren't too far from you (and me)

DM Fabrications

Slimy38

posted on 20/4/23 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul_Arion
re the roll bar - it might be worth a call to D.M. Fabrications in Rugeley. I know they do MX5 roll bars, and also offer powder coating. I've had a few things done by them and they aren't too far from you (and me)

DM Fabrications

That is brilliant, thanks! Even if I don't get the full roll bar from them I'll keep it bookmarked as I'd want the finished article powder coated.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.