Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which Engine
Enthusiast

posted on 15/1/03 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Which Engine

What other options are there to the SOHC which would be lighter and with the same tunability
Mark Allanson

posted on 15/1/03 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
With a bit of inginuity, I imagine you could fit just about anything. I was dead set against fitting a pinto because of the weight, and liked the idea of using a Sierra 1..8 CVH, but every CVH I looked at, the engine was well past its prime and I guessed that even if I got a good one, it would go the same way as the others, especially the way I drive. I have a 2.0i Sierra coming at the weekend.

I know its really tall, but I have a quirky idea of cutting a hole in the bonnet and vacuum moulding an acetate sheet into a bulge to accomadate the height and the injection gear - I will probably change my mind again, but thats locost building - there are few rules!

Findlay234

posted on 16/1/03 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
ive got a 1.8 CVH to get rid of, in prime condition. its got a gearbox attached to it as well. any takers. can be seen running in the car before its taken out.

cheers
fin

Simon

posted on 16/1/03 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
Joseph,

I'm using Rover V8 - similar weight, more (standard) power, buckets loads of torque, more tunable, more reliable, indestuctible, doesn't need tappets adjusting etc etc.

I'm sure with the right diff, you'll also get good fuel economy.

Plus, there's The Noise.

ATB

Simon

zetec

posted on 16/1/03 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at what's around from Ford/Vauxhall/Rover/Toyota. There's loads of good 16V units around and most have been fitted in a Locost/Kit at one time or another. Most give 150BHP at least in standard tune with carbs or injection, and with a little work up tp 200BHP. Also reliable, cheap and plenty about. Most are smaller than the Pinto and at least 20KG lighter. Rover unit is the only one that has had negative feed back when above 80,000 miles, the rest seem to go on and on. Ford unit is poss the most common and cost about £300-£500 s/h.
Simon

posted on 16/1/03 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
Forgot to mention that one!

Rover V8 also has 16 valves:-)

As for Rover's little engines; we used to have a 200 BRM with the 1800 VVC engine.

Fantastic little car. Engine was superb, but head gasket went within a coupkle of thousand miles from new!! Replaced under warranty and didn't fail again.

If I was using a four, I'd not have secone thoughts about using one from Rover (tho preferably the VVC.

ATB

Simon

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.