Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Valve Grinding
scouse

posted on 21/2/03 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Valve Grinding

Hi Folks
Just got my head converted to unleaded (Xflow) so do I now need to grind the valves back in? And if I do what does that involve - I've got the paste and suction thingy, could do with a few tips or other words of wisdom.
Many thanks
Scouse

Fifer

posted on 21/2/03 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
If your head has been converted, i'm surprised that they didnt Lap the valves in after grinding.
However, put a small amount of course paste on the valve seat (or start with fine if your valves are new) and useing the suction thingy as you call it on the valve face, rotate the shaft of the tool useing the palms of your hands in a sort of "Cave man starting fire" motion, every few seconds, change the position of the valve in the seat so that you are now lapping the valve on a diferent part of the seat. You may find that a small amount of WD40 used with the paste assists the effort required when Lapping.
Once you move on to the fine paste, every now and then, stop and wipe the valve face to look at the surface. It should end up with an even smooth surface all the way round, contacting all of the available valve seat area (at the correct angle if seats and valves have been matched correctly) with no pit marks or areas that have not been in contact with the seats.
Remember to keep each valve in the same valve position as you ground it when installing the valves in the head and, ensure that all paste is removed.
I guess that's about it.

scouse

posted on 21/2/03 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Fifer,
When I say 'just had my head converted', it was almost a year ago now and it was dropped off as a bare head. Do I grind all 8 valves or would they have only put new seats in the exhaust valves?

Fifer

posted on 21/2/03 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
You definatly need to Lap all 8 of them. Doesnt matter if they only fitted 4 exhaust or all of them, you must ensure that the valve and valve seat faces are perfectly Lapped in. You would loose massive amounts of power and have poor starting if this job is not perfect.

cheers

macspeedy

posted on 22/2/03 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
valves

I'm getting a three angle seats cut by an engine builder makes for better flow if you can stretch that bit further..
scouse

posted on 23/2/03 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Just spent the afternoon grinding in my valves - what a ball ache. Just got to build the engine up now
theconrodkid

posted on 23/2/03 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
if your balls ache your doing it wrong,i normaly use my hands

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

locost7-online.com

posted on 28/2/03 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
I can do unleaded conversions including head overhaul on xflows
Std £100
3 angle seats blended throat( stage 1 flow) £140

Im a professional engine builder, guarenteed work 6 mts unlimited mileage.
mail me
rallyxtreme@btopenworld.com

Locost Xflow 150bhp injected! Sold :-(

Facebook blog https://www.facebook.com/Johns-Tiger-Avon-Build-814223212056368/
PLEASE NOTE THIS MEMBER IS NOT A TRADER.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.