Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Baffle the sump?
Northy

posted on 22/2/03 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
Baffle the sump?

How do I baffle my sump properly? Some pictures would be nice!

Thanks alot

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 22/2/03 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look in my pickies on how I shortened the sump, there is no shot of the baffle, but I cut a piece of 18g steel the same shape as the deeper part of the sump and cut a hole in it for the pick up gauze to fit through, I welded this 1" from the bottom so when cornering, the oil can only bank up in the side to a max height of 1".

I dont know if this is right, but I cannot see how it wont work OK.

Northy

posted on 22/2/03 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks,

I was thinking of baffling it vertically aswell, is that a good idea?

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 22/2/03 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
I am not sure if you can 'overbaffle a sump', but with my sump mod, I will have about 10 pints capacity(!) so I was unsure if I would need any baffling at all, but did it just in case.

Lads with completed car on the road might be able to answer this one better

Northy

posted on 22/2/03 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
My sump (for a Vx) engine will only be 8cm deep. I was thinking of extending it forward an flat like yours, but aslo put a box on the side aswell. Does it matter if there is 'too' much oil capacity, I rather that than too little!

Th windage tray protrudes into the sump a little, so there isn't much room for baffling!

Any ideas?

Thanks

Graham

Northy

posted on 23/2/03 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
Can anyone help please?

Graham

Mark Allanson

posted on 23/2/03 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
I am sure that too much oil capacity is nor a problem, it will give the oil time to cool and to defoam as it settles in the sump.
Northy

posted on 24/2/03 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Mark,

Has nobody else on here done this?

Graham

eddymcclements

posted on 25/2/03 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
Yes. See the following:-
http://www.whirl.demon.co.uk/locost/cutsump.jpg
http://www.whirl.demon.co.uk/locost/shortsump.jpg
http://www.whirl.demon.co.uk/locost/sumpbox.jpg
http://www.whirl.demon.co.uk/locost/baffled.jpg

Not the only way to tackle the problem, but I wanted a box around the pickup pipe with a trapdoor to prevent surge under acceleration and a horizontal baffle to prevent surge under cornering.
The capacity remains the same as standard. Note that this engine already has a windage tray under the crank.
You should also take a look at:-
http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/ian.crocker/sumps/baffle.html
and scroll down the page.

HTH,

Eddy

kingr

posted on 25/2/03 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
One thing that having more oil than normal would cause would be slower warm up, not necesarily a problem, just something to think about.

Kingr

thetankwad

posted on 27/2/03 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
I may be on the wrong tree with a barking spree, but have you thought about a dry sump conversion? Dont know too much about these, but they may help your situation...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.