Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rover 214 - Which transmission oil?
craig1410

posted on 15/3/03 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Rover 214 - Which transmission oil?

Hi,
Sorry to put such a general question in the Locost forum but I'm sure this will be an easy one for one of you guys who uses the k-series engine.

I've just changed the clutch in my wife's 214 today and when I checked my haynes manual to see if it uses gear oil or multigrade (expecting multigrade like my 800 Vitesse) I found that it said that it is "special transmission oil - consult rover dealer." ???

What on earth is so special about this oil that I need to consult my rover dealer who won't be available until Monday morning now??

I've never known of a car which didn't just take 10w40, 20w50 or occasionally SAE80 or 90 gear oil. One thing is for certain though, the oil that I drained out smelled something rotten so it was either badly needing changed or is something special after all!

Any ideas what I should use?

The car has done about 60,000 miles (1993 model) and has some gearbox wear evident in the input shaft bearing as I discovered today. I changed the input shaft oil seal in the hope that it will keep going for a few more months until I can trade it in. The clutch was down to the rivets and fouled with oil which could just explain the bad slippage...

Cheers,
Craig.

theconrodkid

posted on 15/3/03 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
they all do that these days,better do as they say or it may go pop,when they designed this box they made ti so compact they had to make the gears seperatly and weld them together to make the lay gear.

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

craig1410

posted on 15/3/03 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
It didn't seem so compact when I was trying to squeeze it out from under my car today.... My wife helped me pull it out (way-hay!) and got her fingers trapped at one point... Should 'ave left her there eh?

The annoying thing is that I was in the Rover parts department today(which closes at 12pm until Monday am) getting driveshaft oil seals and circlips and input shaft oil seal and never thought for a moment to ask for gearbox oil!

I'm going to get it in the neck if her car isn't ready on Monday morning so I might just shove in some 20w50 engine oil until next weekend at which time I should have the right stuff from Rover albeit at a price!!

Anyone know what this special oil is?
Cheers,
Craig.

theconrodkid

posted on 15/3/03 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
try a reasonable sized motor factors they have lists of oils,should be able to tell ya,thinking back ive done a few clutches on them and cant remember having to get a special oil???

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

craig1410

posted on 15/3/03 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
I'll see what Halfords have to say for themselves tomorrow.

Cheers,
Craig.

craig1410

posted on 16/3/03 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
I've just been down to Halfords and got some 75w/80w gear oil. Halfords cross reference recommends either their own stuff or Castrol EPX 75/80w. I chose the Halfords since it was £5.99/litre compared with £9.49 for the castrol. I needed 2 litres so it's not cheap!

Anyway, the scientific test was that this stuff stinks just like the stuff which came out of the car so it must be the same eh?

Cheers,
Craig.

theconrodkid

posted on 16/3/03 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
like a curry,if it smells right it must be good

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.