Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra with Pinto or SOHV ?
marcotuinenburg

posted on 2/4/03 at 05:04 AM Reply With Quote
Sierra with Pinto or SOHV ?

I am searching for a few weeks on this site and stil can´t figure out the diference between the Pinto and the SOHV engine in the Sierra. Is it the same engine ? I want to build an MK indy but what type of Sierra with what kind of engine is the best donor for this kit.
I already know that the 2.0i is to large.

theconrodkid

posted on 2/4/03 at 05:51 AM Reply With Quote
pinto is sohc engine,it may be a tad taller than 1600 depending on if it is cortina or seirra block,2000 will fit ,the sump will need shortening and the oil filler tube re-locating.hth

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

marcotuinenburg

posted on 2/4/03 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
Ok, but is it also possible to use the 2.0 with injection or is that one to wide with the injection unit.
auzziejim

posted on 2/4/03 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
it is possible to use the injection but it will need some modifying. I dont know about the Locost chassis but the 2.0 will fit the MK indy chassis.

James

theconrodkid

posted on 2/4/03 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
i am hoping to use injection on mine ,look at cairb archive and see how he done his,looks neatl

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

scutter

posted on 2/4/03 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Believe the standard manifold comes out the bonnet, remember seeing a Dax rush with this arrangement.

Dan.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theconrodkid

posted on 2/4/03 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
you have to cut n shut the manifold or you would look like men in tights,and we wouldnt want to look like that would we?

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

marcotuinenburg

posted on 3/4/03 at 05:28 AM Reply With Quote
Ok, thanks for your help.
But wich engine is better in an indy because i am still thinking about the 1.8 liter sohv pinto or the 2.0 liter dohv.
I know there are more tuning parts for the 1.8 available but the 2 liter has from itself already more power. How do the rest of you think about this.

bob

posted on 3/4/03 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
SOHC = single overhead cam
DOHC = double overhead cam

The SOHC pinto eng is easier to find,easier to work on and easier to tune.

The DOHC is a touch more powerfull in 2L standard form,but some do not like its design. Have a search in the archives under dohc in engine section,i'm sure this has been asked a few times.

Hope this helps a bit

jollygreengiant

posted on 3/4/03 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
pinto made in 1.3, 1.6, 1.6Emax, 1.8, and 2.0 litre units. 1.6Emax, 1.8 & 2.0 had common block, cranks & rods only difference was in the bore sizes (and the americans did a 2.3l pinto) all the above are SOHC.

also made was the CVH (Compound Valve Hemispheircal head) unit which was made in usually 1.8l but later ones also came out with 1.6l (for emmisions). recognised by a relatively wide flat cam/rocker cover.

2.0 DOHC is not a 16v lump as some might think & generally the robustness of the lump leaves a lot to be desired.

Hope this helps

Enjoy.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.