Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Suggestions on a postcard!
Sparky

posted on 7/4/03 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Suggestions on a postcard!

I've got to the point where I need to make a decision about engine location. I've dropped a 2.0 Pinto in a Luego book-sized IRS chassis, and as I suspected, the engine's pokin' out all over the place! It has an RS alloy sump, so it's already at the same depth as the (RS alloy) bellhousing. (See pics section)

As I see it, I have a number of choices:

1. Sit the engine low, get the standard bonnet and nose cone to fit, and avoid sleeping policemen and all pebbles over 10mm in diameter.

2. As above, but raise the suspension so that it handles like a greased whale on ice.

3. Fit the powertrain in the suggested position, lowest point 25mm below the chassis line, and bulge the bonnet and nose cone myself. ( Yak! )

4. As above, but use a bonnet and nosecone from a kit like the Avon or similar.

or

5. Sell all my Pinto goodies and fit a different powertrain. I have a Manta 1.8 OHC engine and 5 speed box, but I suspect that may have it's height difficulties too.

What do you, my learned Locosters recommend?

Mark Allanson

posted on 7/4/03 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Pinto, a bookchassis, the engine set to 1" below the chassis at the bellhousing, a shortened sump to match. I have a genuine, very secondhand westfield nosecone which has seen action in Beruit - it is 1" too wide but I have set it 3/4" above the chassis top and pinched it in so it now clears the top pulley by 10mm. I have made the scuttle 1" taller to keep the lines of the car and it looks like it will go together OK - I still have to make the bonnet so it still has time to go tits up!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.