Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tuned X-flow thermostat
Pugh

posted on 8/4/03 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
Tuned X-flow thermostat

Could anybody please tell me what temperature thermostat a 130bhp 1700cc X-flow engine would like. At present its got a 74 in by the looks of the stamp. All 1600cc (original) fords have ratings between 85-92 and I have a spare 88. Anybody shed some light on why I might have a 74 in there? Thanks
Dave Ashurst

posted on 8/4/03 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Hi pugh

I want a 74 for my 1700 crossflow! So if you don't want yours perhaps you'd post it to me!

Otherwise who can tell me where to find one? What OE model will fit?

A 74/75 degree thermostat was recommended to me by a reputable engine builder. I run an 88 degree thermostat but only because the coolest I could get to fit at the time. Mind you I didn't look beyond local motor factors and Burtons.

Reading around since then it seems to me that, in this engine at least, max measured power is generated with the water temp is between 70 and 80 degrees whereas at low throttle settings it runs better at higher temps; 80 - 90. So if we are driving hard then I guess the 74 deg one is what we want?

But then I'm no expert and I haven't really got my head around engine wear and tear at different temps in hard use.

Will the engine wear out faster with coolant at 74 degrees or 88?

hope that helps, probably not!
cheers
Dave

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.