Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Exhaust pipe manufacture
Nick Davison

posted on 14/4/03 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Exhaust pipe manufacture

Can anyone help me with a company capable of making a stainless exhaust system for a turbo, one big pipe, in the Lincoln/Peterborough area.

Nick

Rorty

posted on 15/4/03 at 01:34 AM Reply With Quote
Do a search on this list using my name. I posted a few exhaust builders details a while ago. One of them may be convenient to you.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Billywhizz

posted on 15/4/03 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
Nick

If you have a welder I could supply you with the stainless steel bends for you to weld up yourself.

Bill

Nick Davison

posted on 15/4/03 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
That's tempting Bill but I don't think my welding is up to stainless steel standards and I only have co2 gas!
Thanks all the same.
Nick

paulf

posted on 15/4/03 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
It is possible to weld stainless with an arc welder if you have one. I have just made a 50mm downpipe from 1,5 mm tube and premade 45 and 90 degree bends.I used some 1.5mm stainless rods and about 70 amps current.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Davison
That's tempting Bill but I don't think my welding is up to stainless steel standards and I only have co2 gas!
Thanks all the same.
Nick

paulbeyer

posted on 15/4/03 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

If you have a welder I could supply you with the stainless steel bends for you to weld up yourself

Hi Bill,

Can you supply enough bits to make a 4 into 1 system for a pinto engine?

7 out of 10 people suffer with hemorrhoids. Does that mean the other 3 enjoy them?

Billywhizz

posted on 16/4/03 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
yep no problem, just make a list of what bends and stuff you need and email it to me.

Bill

Nick Davison

posted on 16/4/03 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Paul

I only have access to a mig welder and CO2 but I have loads of decent 0.8mm stainless wire. I have welded with this on about 20swg sheet. It worked but looke crap and was probably not particularly sound either. Is it possible to get a good weld with this set up?
Nick

Viper

posted on 16/4/03 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Davison
Paul

I only have access to a mig welder and CO2 but I have loads of decent 0.8mm stainless wire. I have welded with this on about 20swg sheet. It worked but looke crap and was probably not particularly sound either. Is it possible to get a good weld with this set up?
Nick

Basicaly the answer would be no mig on stainless allways looks naff but with co2 you are flogging a dead horse, you realy should be using pure argon and for the best results you realy should TIG the item...as far as exhaust manifolds go if you want the manifold to work for you then it should be built by someone who realy knows there stuff a poorly designed manifold can rob you of horsepower..

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Nick Davison

posted on 16/4/03 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Thats about what I thought.
I only need a simple single 2.5 - 3 inch pipe with a 4 bolt square flange to the turbo outlet so it will be straight forward enough. But Iwill still get someone who knows what they are doing to do it.
Nick

paulbeyer

posted on 16/4/03 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Nick,

I wouldn't know the first thing about welding so I'm glad Viper stepped in and answered your question.
My Dad has been a welder for 40 years and would be able to TIG weld a stainless steel exhaust together for me no problem. He has made me a smart roll bar which he bent out of 316 grade stainless but when it comes to making an exhaust he doesn't have the means to make the bit where 4 pipes merge into one.

7 out of 10 people suffer with hemorrhoids. Does that mean the other 3 enjoy them?

CairB

posted on 16/4/03 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Paul,

Regarding the bit where the pipes join, I've done a few by making a filler plate that is welded on the end of the pipes. Then make a cone that is then welded on the pipes and the filler plate. Any help?

Cheers,

Colin

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.